BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Keith Andrews - Time He Went

Hughesy

685 members have voted

1. 1. Should Keith Stay or Go?

This poll is pathetic!

It is simply another vehicle for those that dislike Andrews to vent their spleen. See previous threads for discussions.

Shows the level of support for Keef and on the whole is constructive. We only want success for Rovers, why should people be paid to deliver substandard performances week in week out.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not entirely fair - 30% of people have registered that they want him to stay.

In any case, one internet poll won't have any effect on proceedings. Booing him at the game quite possibly will though.

As much as I've slated him in the past, honest to God, I really do feel very sorry for the guy now. Being booed by your own fans before you've stepped onto the pitch must be awful for anyone. We all know he's a limited player, but booing is a very negative move. Against the club that offered (I think) £2.5 mill for him. I doubt they'll be offering that for him again.

I think he really needs a move now for his own sakes. Before whatever confidence he had in his game evaporates completely.

:-(

Not entirely fair - 30% of people have registered that they want him to stay.

In any case, one internet poll won't have any effect on proceedings. Booing him at the game quite possibly will though.

As much as I've slated him in the past, honest to God, I really do feel very sorry for the guy now. Being booed by your own fans before you've stepped onto the pitch must be awful for anyone. We all know he's a limited player, but booing is a very negative move. Against the club that offered (I think) £2.5 mill for him. I doubt they'll be offering that for him again.

I think he really needs a move now for his own sakes. Before whatever confidence he had in his game evaporates completely.

:-(

Totally agree Bryan, this could split fans amongst other fans and split fans from the club.

The situation now has to be managed effectively to a successful conclusion for all involved.Failure to do so would have damaging long term consequencies.

This is the same strawman argument you always use when defending Andrews. You are somehow under the illusion that experienced managers have impeccable judgement. Sam Allardyce? That isn't the same Sam Allardyce who's under considerable pressure at Rovers, despite his previous success with Bolton? Roy Hodgson? Not the same Roy Hodgson who paid over £17m for Christian Dailly, Kevin Davies and Nathan Blake? Until you address this point, you're simply going around in circles.

No, I'm saying that every single expert opinion we have (managers, ex-players, journalists) rate Andrews as competent - either by playing him over supposedly better players or giving him decent write ups. Your only argument in response is that experts get things wrong. Fair enough, but for you to be right all the experts have to all be wrong all of the time - suddenly, simply by the law of averages, your counter argument is very very weak.

One expert wrong some of the time - fair enough.

Some experts wrong some of the time - still fair enough.

Most experts wrong most the time - implausible.

All experts wrong all of the time - you're in denial.

If all experts being wrong all the time is the entire basis of your counter argument, then that's clearly laughably weak.

Incidentally, I'm not entirely sure why you think pointing out the obvious is a strawman argument - but I'm all ears if you would care to explain (I won't hold my breath though :) ).

No, I'm saying that every single expert opinion we have (managers, ex-players, journalists) rate Andrews as competent -

1] Evidence Jonno? - because this is your entire argument.

2] Why do you consider the judgement of fans, some of who have been watching football for 50-0dd years, to be of no value?

First question first, please. Not that I expect any kind of considered response really.

No, I'm saying that every single expert opinion we have (managers, ex-players, journalists) rate Andrews as competent - either by playing him over supposedly better players or giving him decent write ups. Your only argument in response is that experts get things wrong. Fair enough, but for you to be right all the experts have to all be wrong all of the time - suddenly, simply by the law of averages, your counter argument is very very weak.

One expert wrong some of the time - fair enough.

Some experts wrong some of the time - still fair enough.

Most experts wrong most the time - implausible.

All experts wrong all of the time - you're in denial.

If all experts being wrong all the time is the entire basis of your counter argument, then that's clearly laughably weak.

Incidentally, I'm not entirely sure why you think pointing out the obvious is a strawman argument - but I'm all ears if you would care to explain (I won't hold my breath though :) ).

Then where is the queue of managers lining up to sign this midfield gem? You think Keith Andrews is an established midfielder because three managers appear to rate him? You are again failing to understand that managers will sign and play duds. How else would you explain why clubs paid money for Nigel Quashie or Ade Akinbiyi?

It's a strawman argument, because you keep hiding behind the same point (that a few managers rate him) instead of explaining what he brings to the team. I take it you also thought Darren Peacock was a valuable member of our side in 98/99 because Keegan, Dalglish and Hodgson all played him?

Whilst Andrews is a Rovers player, he should not be booed. Definitely sends the whole team downwards in terms of morale... Please, get a grip and just not applaud when he comes on.

It wouldnt suprise me in the least if a section of the crowd broke out with the chant 'your not fit to wear the shirt'.

Just hope i'm not feeding Hughesy and his mates with ideas here.

As For Keith, quite honestly, I didnt notice him touching the ball, saw him run (in lots of straight lines) but apart from one challenge cant remember him doing anything to be honest!!

Do you know what I slipped off for a quick pee and he must have come on whilst I was relieving myself. I didn't even realise he was playing until I saw him at the end walking in.

He's an honest lad and doesn't deserve the vocal noises that he gets, he oozes the drive and determination that personally I wish the majority of our players would exude. For me its not so much get rid as using him in a role that best suits his skills and thats coming off the bench to be the extra man in the middle or some such.

But if Someone wants him still and its more than we paid for him, our squad should be able to survive without him. Not so sure about BRFCS, though? Whatever would we all bitch about :lol:

Don't know why people are so quick to defend him all of a sudden. Booing? Ok, it's not right booing one of our own but let's stop with the mock sympathy, eh?

In fact, stick me on the pitch, I'll happily be booed at for impersonating a Premier League footballer. I'm sure the £10k+ a week, or whatever he's on, would ease the pain somewhat.

Andrews make Salgado's salary look value for money.

I thought it was far better yesterday with Reid & N'Zonzi in the middle and Bert & Olssen out wide. N'Zonzi is improving as the season goes on, Reid played o.k yesterday which is an improvement from certain others and I think Junior was a good addition in the second half.

Reid did OK considering it was his first league start since Sept 2008.

Nzonzi had his worst game. He was like piggy in the middle; out of his depth. He needs a rest.

Bert was worse; a very poor game by his standards.

Olsson was my MOM with Kalinic not far behind, which just goes to show that The Sun reporters don't watch the game or know nowt.

Can anyone honestly say that our shambolic midfield has been any better over the last two games? I can't.

Andrews isn't good enough, but he isn't the only one.

It was better yesterday. For the first time in ages I saw a central midfield player tackling the opposition - it seems a strange concept in our current midfield - but at least Reid got stuck in.

I will agree with anyone that says Reid isn't Glenn Hoddle - but when fully fit he is one of the most effective midfield players we have - and I am sure lots of other clubs would welcome a fully fit Reid (I know it is rare).

Another thing that impressed me - both Reid and Olsson running back 30-40 yds to catch up with opposition players. No real chance of catching them - but in both cases made the opposition rush their passes. It is that type of commitment that we have been sadly lacking of late.

The trouble with Andrews is that he is fit, as in - never injured, as in - always available for selection. It's a recurring problem for Sam. Do I pick Dunny? - no injured this week. Do I pick Grella? - no he's injured too. What about Reidy? - can I risk a man whose only played two premiership games in over a season and a half. Emerton must be available this week? - sorry another injury. Who's left then that I can play mmm........

:mellow: people are actually voting for him to stay?

Sympathetic reaction to the disgusting booing imo. I'm not sure that this poll will be accurate cos of that. I'd never boo and I deplore the numpty's that do so. I have much sympathy for him. BUT in a cold hard decision anybody can see that he is not good enough for the prem and if we are to improve we have to lose the weaker players and replace them with stronger more talented ones.

Another thing that impressed me - both Reid and Olsson running back 30-40 yds to catch up with opposition players. No real chance of catching them - but in both cases made the opposition rush their passes. It is that type of commitment that we have been sadly lacking of late.

Sav provided that. Getting 'goalside' and getting between the ball and our goal is a very necessary basic requirement that has been missing this season all to often. Hence the number of goals scored by shots from distance.

btw Olsson appears to have a fair turn of speed.

It makes interesting reading to see who voted keep Andrews and then read their views of the club, board, manager, and playing style in general.

I for one voted to let him go, tries hard as hell but will never make the grade. I used to defend him but he hasnt improved and I fear he is playing at his best.

Should not be booed though, disruptive to a player who needs to concentrate on his game.

Wow 5 pages of Andrews talk, how long was the other thread? What is their possibly to go over about Keith that hasn't been said?

I'm going for Get Rid, but I'd still want to make a profit on him, he doesn't do a lot but at least he's fit and is probably one of our lower wage earners. It infuriates me when he is selected ahead of more or less any of our midfielders but I do wonder who would have played in his place if we didn't have him when the likes of Dunn, Reid, Grella and Emerton were crocked last year.

The trouble with Andrews is that he is fit, as in - never injured, as in - always available for selection.

I know he's not the most talented player ever but would you prefer him to be permanently injured and never available for selection drawing a wage?

Unbelievable.

(We've enough of those sort of players already)

Archived