BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fantasy Baseball '10

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

VERY IMPORTANT - those who show up for the draft at 5pm GMT will be an hour late!! Draft is at 4pm GMT - US had daylight savings this weekend and the time was based on US time.

It was a fun draft, teams are now automatically up. 3 teams went the entire draft without showing up, but I still think everyone can be reasonably happy with their teams, so it should be a fun season.

Just remember that the free agent system works as an auction all year, so you only have 200 to spend on any free agents during the season.

• 6 months later...

Playoff Baseball is almost upon us.

For those who have a passing interest in the game, there was a good article on yahoo about lack of attendances at games.

It focuses on the Tampa Bay Rays (one of my favourite teams) who play to modest crowds, however in recent years they have upset the big boys. Yet they can't lose the small town team tag.

Rays the US Rovers?

At the moment the Rays (22,850 average gate and $73m on salaries), are ahead of both the New York Yankees (46,491 average attendance and $213.3m on salaries) and the Boston Red Sox (37,164 average attendance and $167m on salaries).

If Rovers were a Baseball team, they'd probably be the Tampa Bay Rays.

Sadly, I disagree. The Rays have had more success than Rovers seem to have! :)

We need a team that's solidly threatening for the playoffs with the occasional short playoff stint (top 8 teams in playoffs for MLB , 7 teams to europe for the PL), and the occasional few dire years in between, all with a low budget, so it depends on young kids and 1-2 stars firing on all cylinders for a bit.

If I had to draw a parallel, I might go instead for the Oakland As. Though the rays tick a few of those points, same with Colorado or Minnesota... but again, those teams have almost too much success.

Sadly, I disagree. The Rays have had more success than Rovers seem to have! :)

We need a team that's solidly threatening for the playoffs with the occasional short playoff stint (top 8 teams in playoffs for MLB , 7 teams to europe for the PL), and the occasional few dire years in between, all with a low budget, so it depends on young kids and 1-2 stars firing on all cylinders for a bit.

If I had to draw a parallel, I might go instead for the Oakland As. Though the rays tick a few of those points, same with Colorado or Minnesota... but again, those teams have almost too much success.

Yeah its an interesting one.

Here are some other thoughts.

Manchester United and New York Yankees (they have some sort of connection in real life don't they?)

Liverpool and Boston Red Sox (Well supported and rich history)

Tottenham Hotspur and Los Angeles Dodgers (Big city clubs with decent fan bases but don't win too much)

Newcastle United and New York Mets (Big spenders, but farcical at times)

I suppose Blackburn and the Florida Marlins might be a good shout.

I assume your Maine connection makes you a member of Red Sox Nation?

Sort of, but not really.

I like baseball, but never feel too much pull to one team, really. Certianly the Sox were the closest team to me for most of my life, so I follow them more closely than any other team, but I could care less when they win or not. 2004, I watched, and was excited for them, but it wasn't "life changing"

Playoffs 2010

Tampa Bay Rays (AL East) vs. Texas Rangers (AL West)

Minnesota Twins (AL Central) vs. New York Yankees (AL Wildcard)

Philadelphia Phillies (NL East) vs. Cincinatti Reds (NL Central)

San Francisco Giants (NL West) vs. Atlanta Braves (NL Wildcard)

I predict

Rays to beat the Rangers in 4

Yankees to beat the Twins in 4

Phillies to beat the Reds in 3

Giants to beat the Braves in 4

Playoff Baseball is almost upon us.

For those who have a passing interest in the game, there was a good article on yahoo about lack of attendances at games.

It focuses on the Tampa Bay Rays (one of my favourite teams) who play to modest crowds, however in recent years they have upset the big boys. Yet they can't lose the small town team tag.

Rays the US Rovers?

At the moment the Rays (22,850 average gate and $73m on salaries), are ahead of both the New York Yankees (46,491 average attendance and $213.3m on salaries) and the Boston Red Sox (37,164 average attendance and $167m on salaries).

Interesting information came out in the last month or 2 that a lot of these small market and "disadvantaged" clubs are making very healthy profits each season.

I'd compare the Rays to the MK Dons if anything - club that gets placed in a city expecting a huge built in fan base, but the locals just don't give a $£&^%*£.

That Halliday game was unreal. His first ever postseason appearance, too. Not that the guy hasn't been the best pitcher in baseball or therebouts for years and years already, but still... wow.

And for reference, a no-hitter happens in about once in every 1000 major league baseball games, give or take. 269 have been thrown in all of the "modern era," is since 1876.

I find it odd that you give the giants more hope than the rangers.

The giants are reliant on good pitching, but the phils have arguably better pitching, and deeper pitching. the phils lineup puts the giants to shame.

The rangers have the pitchers to give the yanks a run, even if they are lesser known, and there's not much between the offenses, really.

I could see the rangers pushign the yanks more than the giants pushing the phils...

and the longer that rangers/yanks series goes, the more it shifts to the ranger's favor. The yanks want no part of cliff lee in a 6th or 7th game.

Archived