BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Villa Semi Final 2Nd Leg

philipl

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to congratulate Villa on getting to Wembley, they really do have some good English talent onboard. The Villa fans that visit us on here must have been cacking themselves as little old Rovers rattled their cages so much that their home fans didnt sing until they were 4-2 up and then went silent as Rovers came back to 5-4. Only as they scored their 6th did Villa light up the volume ! So much for being a big club eh ?

1864 - one of the most amusing and surreal things on the evening for me was the Villa fans !

Be interesting to get out visitors views on this too !

(I was sat by halfway line on Trinity Road btw)

Pre-match - they were all very positive que sera etc etc.

Rovers started to dominant they went quiet. At 1-0 down they were on their players backs.

At 2-0 down - they really turned on their players - at this point i felt that if we could have held on for another 1/4 of an hour they would have fecked up the chances for their team with their heckling and jeering !

At 2-2 they started signing.

For the second half as with the majority of the first half they were outsung by our smallish following in the North Stand. Evene at 4-2 up - they were outsung.

At 5-2 - a few songs before Rovers got back into it. At 5-3 they went surreally quiet and it was almost as if you could hear them having conversations with themselves wondering....

At 5-4 they were positively shiteing themselves !

With 7 mins to go and 2 goals ahead the place should have been bouncing ! Instead they were still outsung by the outstanding Rovers fans (who had both variety, wit and noise in their repertoire last night - couldn't believe it !!).

Villa Park finally got excited and made some noise around 2 minutes from the end. They were ###### off when the effects of our ale kicked and we shouted for 'Villa to give us a song' from the exec boxes 5 mins from the end !

Injury time - the place lit up with the flags etc and ws a great spectacle.

Their fans were shockingly poor. However when they did make some noise from all 4 sides - did make for a great atmosphere. Great ground. Great support from the BRFC travelers.

Shockingly poor? An exaggeration me thinks. No home support sings for 90 minutes thats just the way it is. At 0-2 we were always going to be frustrated, and we were always going to be nervy towards the end. Outsung at 4-2 though? Thats a lie, i was in the lower North and your fans didn't sing from 3-2 until it went 5-3 and you got a bit of belief back. We were sh!tting ourselves at 5-3 let alone 5-4, we know what we're like and we can't relax. Only when it was 6-4 could we relax and you could feel the relief all round the ground. As you said when all 4 sides sang together it was great and loud as ######. Watch it back on tv, the only times you can hear the Blackburn fans are 0-2 and when our fans get nervy towards the end.

Your fans were pretty good to be fair, we had some good banter in the lower North. You were a bit premature with the 'are you burnley in disguise? chant though, which was soon sung back at 3-2 and 4-2. And 'Heskey's sh!it my lord'.... 'Heskey score my lord!'.

ame='wellesbourne' date='21 January 2010 - 11:08 AM' timestamp='1264072104' post='869561']

Shockingly poor? An exaggeration me thinks. No home support sings for 90 minutes thats just the way it is. At 0-2 we were always going to be frustrated, and we were always going to be nervy towards the end. Outsung at 4-2 though? Thats a lie, i was in the lower North and your fans didn't sing from 3-2 until it went 5-3 and you got a bit of belief back. We were sh!tting ourselves at 5-3 let alone 5-4, we know what we're like and we can't relax. Only when it was 6-4 could we relax and you could feel the relief all round the ground. As you said when all 4 sides sang together it was great and loud as ######. Watch it back on tv, the only times you can hear the Blackburn fans are 0-2 and when our fans get nervy towards the end.

Your fans were pretty good to be fair, we had some good banter in the lower North. You were a bit premature with the 'are you burnley in disguise? chant though, which was soon sung back at 3-2 and 4-2. And 'Heskey's sh!it my lord'.... 'Heskey score my lord!'.

Yawn.....

• Backroom

ame='wellesbourne' date='21 January 2010 - 11:08 AM' timestamp='1264072104' post='869561']

I never did understand us singing this to Villa and West Ham, if Burnley were to go in disguise surely they wouldn't wear claret and blue still?

would be quite a poor dsiguise, like fabio going to a fancy dress as Rafael

P.S. I do hate Agbonlahor and Young, they went down far too easily for me over two legs and they act as though they're the world's best players. Over-confidence is one thing but arrogance is ugly.

As easy as Ryan Nelsen? :P

If Samba's was a definite red, then in my honest opinion Milner should have gone too, two footed tackle on Dunn after he played the ball, that's a sending off these days but he got away with a yellow.

Cheating tw@ts my lord ;)

• Backroom

Also if you want to be 'by the book' Young raised his hands at dunn so could have gone

Obviously I don't think he should but a picky ref could have shown a red

As for the Nelson v Agbon - without doubt it was a foul in this grand old scheme of no contact game nowadays, but if it had been the other way around I would have been aggrieved and agree Nelsen should have ben far stronger and determined in the challenge.

I've got to stand up for Nelsen here Capn. It wasn't a matter of being stronger in the challenge. It wasn't two players going shoulder to shoulder, - it was one player pushing the other, with two hands, in the back. If your concentration is on the ball, you're leaning forward and you can't even see the man behind you, you'll go over. Nelsen isn't a diver and he isn't a weakling either. His game is based on strength, but in this instance he could do nothing about it.

As soon as the Samba foul happened (and I've no idea how anyone can argue it wasn't a red or a penalty) I immediately looked at Big Sam given I was sitting not far from him. No protest whatsoever to the fourth official so I assumed he'd accepted that decision at least gracefully...until the post match interview.

Fair enough you were unlucky on the first goal and the sending off killed you as you had to move some of your players back to plug the defensive gaps. It was a gutsy performance from you lot so I'd be looking to see that more regularly in the league and with some winnable fixtures coming up, a top half placing.

• Backroom

I thought Sam accepted the red card as fair just the sham of a first goal was the issue, the sky interviewer was mischief making telling O Neill that sam was upset about the red

As soon as the Samba foul happened (and I've no idea how anyone can argue it wasn't a red or a penalty) I immediately looked at Big Sam given I was sitting not far from him. No protest whatsoever to the fourth official so I assumed he'd accepted that decision at least gracefully...until the post match interview.

Fair enough you were unlucky on the first goal and the sending off killed you as you had to move some of your players back to plug the defensive gaps. It was a gutsy performance from you lot so I'd be looking to see that more regularly in the league and with some winnable fixtures coming up, a top half placing.

We accept the referees make mistakes, why can they not accept that players make mistakes too.

Guest andrewpickup

You moron, obviously he had no complaints re samba.

After having time to reflect I'm proud of us. Yes the first goal was a foul and that affected things greatly, however something else may have happened along the way so who knows. Villa on the other hand should be concerned. They are to play at wembley against a strong manchester team who will be rubbing their hands at playing a villa team that conceded 4 to a ten man rovers.

Villa have some cracking players by the way but they have their fair share of cheats and snides that I'm glad are not in blue and white

Still good luck to villa, you might win it and go on to throw away the europa league again

The supporters deserve better also than the dross thats been served up over the past 12 months.

Sometimes you need to make a stand, and several thousand have obviously done just that over the 2 legs, and all credit to them I say.

You did it v Fulham too. Well done. Point proven. Obviously your support can't ever have been upto much anyway.

Reading the last few pages it seems we (Villa) our fans, players, manager, kit man and tea lady are all scum of the earth and don't deserve anything despite scoring 7 goals in the 2 games.

The first half hour you were good but I also think it was a combination of us feeling the nerves as we were not at the races, we were coming back into it before our 1st goal which I believe was due to you then feeling nervous.

There is some real bitter bias in this thread, somebody even mentioned that if 2 that hit the POST went in the game would have been different, they were not on target so didn't go in.

Watching the 2 games I think you have a real good player in Kalinic and good luck for the rest of the season.

There has been a lot of bitterness shown Dan and from regular,mature posters who should know better!

I simply could not believe the score after just 26 minutes,was this the same hesitant Rovers side who cant score for Toffee? :o .The sending off was a killer for us,a badly timed tackle from behind and there is only going to be one outcome.From then on Villa's number advantage showed but by christ Rovers heads NEVER went down and they kept fighting all the way to the final whistle....THAT MADE ME FEEL VERY PROUD!.As fans, that is all you can ask for.

If Rooney or Torress had scored that overhead goal the press would have been raving about it....well done Olsson on your splendid goal,its been quite a while since I've seen one of that quality come from a blue 'n' white shirt.Kalinic..a star in the making.

Sam thanks the fans

WELL DONE VILLA AND GOOD LUCK IN THE FINAL.

Is it too late to comment on last night's game? I've not read anything of this thread.

I don't agree with Big Sam's excuses. The man embarrasses us.

The turning point of the game was the sending off of Samba.

Now this business of last man etc. is destroying the wonderful game. Yes it was a foul from a genuine attempt to make a fair tackle.

The punishment should have been a penalty kick only; not a sending off. I'm not blaming the ref because he is forced to comply with stupid directions from FIFA(?) UEFA(?). 30 years ago the player would have stayed on the field.

Rant over. I'm so proud of the way the lads played. I know our defence was shakey. So was Villa's.

If we can keep this up in the league we'll be OK. Olsson had another great game.

I too don't think we were 'robbed' by the ref per se, and I too was immensely proud of my team. I could just do without the likes of McAds coming on here (a BRFC supporters forum) with his one eyed views that he states are FACTS and assumes that we all must accept them, not unlike quite a few of his fellow supporters who have continued ad nauseum on here and elsewhere over this tie for two weeks it feels.

My last comment on this topic with McAds duly on ignore, just to maintain my sanity.

That’s quite churlish, but is your prerogative. For what its worth, its futile arguing about handball directives when the ball comes off Gabby’s hip and doesn’t touch his hands.

I never did understand us singing this to Villa and West Ham, if Burnley were to go in disguise surely they wouldn't wear claret and blue still?

would be quite a poor dsiguise, like fabio going to a fancy dress as Rafael

Remember this is the dingles we are talking about......THEY probably would.rolleyes.gif

Now this business of last man etc. is destroying the wonderful game. Yes it was a foul from a genuine attempt to make a fair tackle.

Spot on bazza and exactly what I said last night. A genuine attempt to win the ball, had it occurred in the centre circle it would have been simply a foul against Samba and at the very worst a yellow. There was no intent. The penalty and subsequent goal was reward enough for a miss timed challenge, absolutely no need to send a player off and potentially ruin the game, although we did better than most would have given us credit for when down to ten men. But when you're perceived as a little northern team, that's what you expect.

Just mention of the support - absolutely brilliant. Stood up throughout, singing from start to finish and that was the whole lot of us. A real throwback to years gone by. I was six rows from the back and as far as I could see, both left to right and down to the front was row after row of vocal support.

Whilst no one likes losing a semi final, if you can see the team has given it's all and had a real go, then that is acceptable. Fans appreciate that.

We'll be alright this season. We've just got to make sure we continue in the same vein, committment wise, as at Villa Park.

Good luck to Villa in the final (My Lord).

PS - When you heard us singing 'Heskey's ######, My Lord' - how many of you, hand on heart, wanted to sing along with the same words? :D

I don't agree with Big Sam's excuses. The man embarrasses us.

The turning point of the game was the sending off of Samba.

Goals change games. There's no doubt their first goal changed the game. The sending off ruined the game completely.

Our fans were absolutely top class last night. at 1-0 and 2-0, I am ready to admit the shirt was off. What a night, gutted we didn't win! Good performance, pressed the self destruct button though. Proud to be a Rover.

Sh1t support my lord!

Outsung them for the majority of the game too, like they did to us at Ewood.

Evening all...

Well now the dust has settled and my heart rate has returned to something close to normal I thought I'd drop in, I'm not here to gloat or rub salt in wounds and I would have been on here had the result been different which it could have been.

I'm not going to get into debates about who sang the most or the loudest, who had the best support or what decisions were right or wrong those things are all immaterial now what is done is done and little can be achieved by going over it all. I will though say one thing, I agree with those who say Ashley young goes to ground a little easily, I don't agree about Gabby but your entitled to your views. I would though say I watch both every week and seeing as I'm happy to agree about Young why would I lie about Gabby but thats not why I'm here.

Im here just to say I thought your fans were excellent and your team showed unbelievable spirt and determination not to mention a fair bit of ability, I also think you might have a star on your hands in that lad up front.

I also thought I'd let you know about a little touch of class by Pedersen prior to kick off, while warming up a shot from him went wide of the goal (may not surprise some on here) and hit an old chap in the face behind the goal. It smashed his glasses, cut his face pretty bad and shook him up. When he saw what had happened Pedersen raced over to speak to him and see if he was ok, when he realised he wasn't he removed his training jacket and gave it to the guy, only a small gesture but showed a touch of class I thought.

Anyway, as I said just wanted to drop in and commend you as a club for last night it only increased the respect I have for your club.

Best of luck for the remainder of the season, despite some of your fears I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Archived