BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Flitcroft And Jansen

My goodness Chorley have fallen- they were in the Conference not that long ago (as were Leigh).

Not that long? It's been years since they played in the Conference - from memory I'd guess 88/89 - 89/90. Those two seasons are the only two spent at the highest non-league level and from memory I think the highest league position was 7th in the first season but that didn't last long.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The league which Chorley are in is the 8th level down (Prem, Championship, League 1, League 2, Conference, Conference North, Evo Stik Premier, Evo Stik North)

They moved from Leigh who are in the same division, Leigh finished 6th last season and Chorley 16th but how much of that was down to Flitty not 100% certain can't find anywhere at the min that says where they finished the season before that

Thanks, still trying to learn all the amateur leagues up here.

So a side-ways step then, I hope it works out for him.

Curiously how did Matty get on last year, goals galore or kicked to death??

Chorley were in the Vauxhall Conference for two season as Hollowsr states. Early in September they went top for one week, I remember it well as I took a photo of Ceefax with the league table on showing Chorley top. That was the fifth tier then, so for a (very )brief time there was talk of Chorley becoming a league side.

A seem to remember them beating Colwyn Bay 9-0 away around this time, a record scoreline too.

Thanks, still trying to learn all the amateur leagues up here.

So a side-ways step then, I hope it works out for him.

Curiously how did Matty get on last year, goals galore or kicked to death??

Maji,

They are all Semi pro leagues, indeed Leighs keeper (ex Rover) Drench was fill time pro, think he was at Morecambe previously.

There are lots of ex pros in the Unibond league, Gary Stopforth Ex Rovers res skipper now playing for Bamber Bridge,

Steve Davis (ex Southampton & Burnley) was at Nantwich and FC Utd have a number of ex pros playing, those come to mind,but there are many with football league experience.

They do tend to play a similar pattern of a few short passes at the back and then the long ball into the channels or high to the front man, depending on personel.

Jerome Watt is another who plays at that level and not sure but I think Andy Barker plays also.

A decent standard, indeed Harrogate Railway played Mansfield off the park when Mansfield were a league club and they had a few really good players who moved on after the televised match even though Mansfield won with 2 late goals from a striker who, despite Mansfield bottom of 2nd division, had 20 goals that season!!

Maji,

They are all Semi pro leagues, indeed Leighs keeper (ex Rover) Drench was fill time pro, think he was at Morecambe previously.

Correct about Morecambe, he played for them the season they got promoted to the League, however missed the final at Wembley due to breaking his arm.

Never played in the first team again and moved on to Southport, before joining Leigh.

Has played for Barrow in a pre-season friendly and is curently having trials with York City.

Tom and I will be at Victory Park tonight, look forward to seeing a few people there and seeing Jansen for the first time in I don't know how long.

Tom and I will be at Victory Park tonight, look forward to seeing a few people there and seeing Jansen for the first time in I don't know how long.

dont get your hopes up of seeing matty. my mate plays at right back for chorley. he says matty doesnt really want to play this season, as he wants to concentrate on coaching. he was on bench against darwen last friday but didnt come on. my mate says he will only play if he has to

dont get your hopes up of seeing matty. my mate plays at right back for chorley. he says matty doesnt really want to play this season, as he wants to concentrate on coaching. he was on bench against darwen last friday but didnt come on. my mate says he will only play if he has to

I'm pretty sure that Flitcroft said today on Radio Lancs that Jansen would be predominantly involved in coaching this season but that he would be

playing tonight.

We went down though did arrive 20 minutes late by which time PNE were 2-0 up. I grew up watching the equivalent of Conference football, I know that isn't Chorley's level, and was interested to see not much has changed - the smell of coffee, pies, cigarettes, standing on a grass mound, wandering round to the stand when it rains, leaning on the barriers next to the pitch. Good stuff.

Jansen played for 60 minutes, you could just about see snatches of the player we knew in the way he moved and runs he looked to make, but only just. Flitty looked fit and well. For periods there was not much difference between the two sides, then PNE made changes which put them well on top, Chorley made some subs and came back into it. Flittcroft clearly has a plan and style in mind and his team kept plugging away at it, creating two or three good opportunities and scoring a very good goal. In many situations Chorley's passing was short of the man, as opposed to inaccurate, now it could be PNE were quicker to the ball (didn't look that way to me) or that's how it is at this level. I haven't watched this sort of football for years, if last night is anything to go by Chorley will have a decent season.

Crowd 1497, £7 to get in, No. 86 on the pink won the raffle.

We went down though did arrive 20 minutes late by which time PNE were 2-0 up. I grew up watching the equivalent of Conference football, I know that isn't Chorley's level, and was interested to see not much has changed - the smell of coffee, pies, cigarettes, standing on a grass mound, wandering round to the stand when it rains, leaning on the barriers next to the pitch. Good stuff.

Jansen played for 60 minutes, you could just about see snatches of the player we knew in the way he moved and runs he looked to make, but only just. Flitty looked fit and well. For periods there was not much difference between the two sides, then PNE made changes which put them well on top, Chorley made some subs and came back into it. Flittcroft clearly has a plan and style in mind and his team kept plugging away at it, creating two or three good opportunities and scoring a very good goal. In many situations Chorley's passing was short of the man, as opposed to inaccurate, now it could be PNE were quicker to the ball (didn't look that way to me) or that's how it is at this level. I haven't watched this sort of football for years, if last night is anything to go by Chorley will have a decent season.

Crowd 1497, £7 to get in, No. 86 on the pink won the raffle.

Oh you make me feel quite nostalgic Paul. I have attempted on a few occasions to convey the feelings (the difference) that you get when watching one of these "little teams" play as opposed to watching PL football. The atmosphere, the effort put in by the players, the relatively exciting level of play, and the enthusiasm and commitment of the supporters all combine and give you a feeling of genuine satisfaction and "value for money" that you rarely (if ever) get when watching the PL matches. This is why I often go and watch the likes of Cowdenbeath and East Fife as opposed to watching Dunfermline or Raith Rovers and still less Hearts or Hibs, even though ALL these teams are within very easy reach for me and less than 1 hr by bus for the furthest away.

As we're doing a 'where are they now' Keith Barker is currently pulling up trees in the T20 comp for Warwickshire, he'll be in the England frame in the next 3 years Mark my words

I'm pretty sure someone did something about Barker on the " Where are they now? " topic last week.

As we're doing a 'where are they now' Keith Barker is currently pulling up trees in the T20 comp for Warwickshire, he'll be in the England frame in the next 3 years Mark my words

He gave away the runs that let Lancs beat Warks at Old Trafford this year.

• 5 weeks later...

I went down for Chorley's first game of the season yesterday. They won 6-0 which sends them top of the league, Jansen played for about an hour and got 2 assists of assists. The team they played against looked incredibly poor. Chorley managed to get the second highest attendance of the day in the Evo-Stik leagues with only Halifax beating them.

David Dunn was there also who I had a brief chat with. Season looks like it could be promising for Chorley

In keeping with the current fashion Chorley last night rattled in six away to Curzon Ashton for a 2-6 win. That's 12 goals in two games for Garry and Matt. They are home on Monday, think I'll pop down if I can get from under the missus thumb.

In keeping with the current fashion Chorley last night rattled in six away to Curzon Ashton for a 2-6 win. That's 12 goals in two games for Garry and Matt. They are home on Monday, think I'll pop down if I can get from under the missus thumb.

I'm thinking of doing so also despite our reseves at Brockhall. 12 goals in 2 games can't be argued against. Saw 1 Rovers fan at the last game will be good to see more

Another convincing win for the mighty Magpies today, 4-1 against Radcliffe Borough. Matt Jansen didn't play today but there's goals a plenty in this team. Gary certainly has them trying to play football and at a very high tempo.

Jack Dorney continued his blistering start to the season with 2 more today (both pens)to take his tally to 9 in 3 league games. He really looks a class act.

Great attendance as well, the PA gave it out as 848 and I noticed several fellow Rovers fans in the crowd.

Its certainly great value to pop down and use your season ticket to get on for half price when Rovers have no game. Lets hope they can keep it going and build on their flying start to the season.

Archived