BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steven Reid

I tried to track down an old Reidy thread, but couldn't seem to find one.

Reid Considered Quiting

I always liked Reidy. Before his spate of injuries, he looked a really good player with a great attitude (at a time when many were looking to move on and he was linked with United, he got his head down, kept quiet and signed a new deal with us). Physically, he was strong, with a great engine and a fair amount of pace. When you were chasing a game, he was excellent at playing the ball around high up the pitch inside the opponents half. He had most things in his locker that you would want from a midfielder, including a vicious shot.

Unfortunately, he may now never get to realise his full potential. I think footballers often get too much stick for being injured and simply picking up their pay packet. Reid seems an honest guy and I know from experience how devastating injuries can be and how tough the road to recovery can be. He's obviously put in the hours and I hope he comes good because we really need somebody like him in midfield. Probably the biggest barrier he has to overcome is mental and I think we need to be patient with him. Personally, I'd see how he gets on from now until June and give him another year with the club and an option to extend this should he stay fit for the majority.

Oh, and look at what Allardyce has to say at the end - it becomes quite comical, the guy's arrogance :D

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always been a fan of Reidy's, he was fantastic that season when we finished 6th just couple of points off 5th. Played a real box-to-box role and who can forget that Wigan thunderbolt. He will probably not be the same player he was but if he keeps injury free then he could offer something to the squad, certainly looked combative against Fulham.

What's his contract situation? does it run out in the summer?

I agree i would see how he gets on for the rest of the season, if he remains injury free and performs to a decent standard then I would look at the possibility of giving him a new short term deal with incentives for an extension. If he breaks down again then we could offload him for a free in the summer if his contract is running out.

Reid was the first name on my team sheet for those two good years. A savage without the hair or the wind up, but had a bloody hard shot. My dad once had his nose broken by a wayward Reidy shot. He even got the moulded protection mask signed by Reid and it's in our bits and bobs somewhere. But I've always liked how Reid is a professional, and a perfect exampl of what a footballer should be (barring injuries). Here's hoping he can get ANYWHERE near his pomp and he'll be a major player for us for a couple more years!

What's his contract situation? does it run out in the summer?

I agree i would see how he gets on for the rest of the season, if he remains injury free and performs to a decent standard then I would look at the possibility of giving him a new short term deal with incentives for an extension. If he breaks down again then we could offload him for a free in the summer if his contract is running out.

Yeah out of contract in summer.

From now to the summer is the key for him - prove himself and I think he would be worth a new deal (however heavily protecting the club). He added that bit of bite on Sunday that we usually lack.

Reid was the first name on my team sheet for those two good years. A savage without the hair or the wind up, but had a bloody hard shot. My dad once had his nose broken by a wayward Reidy shot. He even got the moulded protection mask signed by Reid and it's in our bits and bobs somewhere. But I've always liked how Reid is a professional, and a perfect exampl of what a footballer should be (barring injuries). Here's hoping he can get ANYWHERE near his pomp and he'll be a major player for us for a couple more years!

Seriously??

I think that we all wish Reidy the best of luck, epecially in the next few games. It would really be like a new signing for us and would put a very strong look central midfield wise. I forgot how massive the guy is. One thing I wont forget though is the incredible goal at wigan. Fingers crossed he gets another one of those before the end of the year

Seriously??

I detect more than a hint of sarcasm, but yes, seriously. And for some weird reason, he's the fave player in our household. A true pro. An example of this is in the pre-season photos. to get himself to that level of stregth and fitness while laid off with an injury shows remarkable motivation, determination and professionalism!

I too am a big fan of Steven Reid. He was easily one the best players in our team for a couple of seasons until he had his injury problems. He took a while to adjust to the Premiership, but he eventually became a key part of the team, with his tough tackling, great engine and decent shot. With the club having the hands financially tied, it doesn't make sense to offer him a new contract at the moment, until he's proven that he can remain fit. Reading the article in the LET, he seems to be accepting of the contract situation. By all accounts he had a good game against Fulham which is great news. I wouldn't play him on Wednesday if we could help and leave him for the Wigan game. I really hope that he gets a run of games going and wins himself a new contract. By all accounts, he's a lovely guy and is a true professional.

• 1 month later...

GIOVANNI TRAPATTONI has reiterated concerns about the well-being of Steven Reid after the Blackburn midfielder missed out on the squad for next week's friendly with Brazil.

Trapattoni said that he could not consider the player at his juncture and, in a thinly veiled dig at Allardyce -- who he neglected to mention by name because he said his name is difficult to pronounce -- he queried why Reid is not a regular if he was in perfect health, as Allardyce claimed in October when he said the Italian should apologise to the club's medical staff.

GIOVANNI TRAPATTONI has reiterated concerns about the well-being of Steven Reid after the Blackburn midfielder missed out on the squad for next week's friendly with Brazil.

Trapattoni said that he could not consider the player at his juncture and, in a thinly veiled dig at Allardyce -- who he neglected to mention by name because he said his name is difficult to pronounce -- he queried why Reid is not a regular if he was in perfect health, as Allardyce claimed in October when he said the Italian should apologise to the club's medical staff.

Trap should have apologised, Reidy's coming back from years of hell and having witnessed him in rehab, I must say I've never seen such fierce determination. Regardless of his condition comments like his belong not in papers but behind closed doors.

Close your trapattoni. (not you John)

Aye. With his injury record and our wage bill, it's not worth the risk that he'll ever be the player of four years ago.

I would say that is a function of how much his wages cost us. I would say it would be worth a punt at around 10k a week if he stays fit till the end of the season and impresses. However if he stays then Grella must go or visa versa, we cannot carry both. That said he seems to have been building fitness for a number of weeks but still did not manage to get in the team on Sunday, plus Grella was preferred as the sub coming on. He is going to need to get 5 games at least under his belt from now to May to stand any sort of chance at all, and they need to be decent performances.

Unless he takes a serious paycut I can't see it making sense for the club to sign him on again. He must be earning a reasonable amount seeing as he signed that new contract after a very good season and when some big clubs were rumoured to be sniffing around. I doubt he'll ever get back to the form of before and so he needs to be in the squad player pay bracket.

It would be interesting to see if Reid begins to get a bit more match time now we are closing in on safety, either to see if he still has what it takes or to put him in the shop window!?!

Sam seems to have been careful with introducing most of the player to the first team weather it be because they are new to the league like Kalanic or injury prone like Dunn, that can be contradicted in some cases but i would expect Sam is being careful with Reid!

Would love to see him back to his best but he cannot expect a similar contract to what he is currently on!

I would be amazed and dismayed if Reid is still with us next season. He's been here 7 years and looked handy for about 7 months of that time. I can't think of a player who has offered less value for money to the club over such a period. His wages must be decent considering the timing of his last contract.

He should be let go and those wages used to bring in someone in who is capable of making more appearances in a month than a tampon.

Let's say Reid takes a pay-cut, I'm pretty sure we could still put that money towards someone who'll offer more than he has in the past few years. Even if he does put a good run together, you know (just like Dunn) he's gonna break down sooner or later. Let's not forget he's 29 next month, I'd be VERY surprised if he left and proved us wrong.

He needs to go, no doubt at it. I wouldn't even go for a pay-as-you-play deal at this point.

If the rest of our midfielders were reliable then we could maybe think about keeping him, but with Grella and Dunn spending regular periods on the treatment table we just can't afford to carry another.

Archived