BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pet Peeves.

Heads up ."

Another ghastly Americanism that has come into use here.

Other examples are train station instead of the correct railway station, and pronouncing schedule with skk instead of the correct British ssshhh.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about genuine Americans? Same?

Not nearly as much as British people who do it. Nobody should actually inflect like American sitcom actors, but British people who do it are by far the worst. Nobody actually needs to talk like that ("Nobody actually NEEDS to talk like that"). I occasionally do it myself and it bugs me.

Not nearly as much as British people who do it. Nobody should actually inflect like American sitcom actors, but British people who do it are by far the worst. Nobody actually needs to talk like that ("Nobody actually NEEDS to talk like that"). I occasionally do it myself and it bugs me.

I get you. Like Chandler. You're right, I mean could British versions of American accents BE any more lame?

People who talk (and type) like they're a character from an episode of Friends, with horrible American inflections at several points of each sentence.

Furthermore, people who say internet/textspeak words out loud. There's a guy in my office (why yes, I do hate my job) must be close to 50 who says "see you later, peeps!" everytime he goes home at night.

eliot-spitzer-the-reaction.jpg

Furthermore, people who say internet/textspeak words out loud. There's a guy in my office (why yes, I do hate my job) must be close to 50 who says "see you later, peeps!" everytime he goes home at night.

eliot-spitzer-the-reaction.jpg

But it can be cool at times. EG: At the National TV awards, Stephen Fry's reaction to his 'travel documentary' award was 'OMG'. To his 'special recognition' award, it was 'OMFG'. Now that was good!

Peeve of today: humourless, barge-arsed jobsworths.

Generally though, I'd say people who steadily raise the tone and inflection of their voice when making a statement as though they are asking a question. It began with teenage girls who watched Friends, now it seems to be an uncontroolable virus. Even my boss does it.

I also despise being charged a booking fee for most types of tickets unless paying with shells, shiny beads and the shrunken heads of dead enemies. Agreed on the Ticketmaster front - absolute vermin.

Peeve of today: humourless, barge-arsed jobsworths.

Generally though, I'd say people who steadily raise the tone and inflection of their voice when making a statement as though they are asking a question. It began with teenage girls who watched Friends, now it seems to be an uncontroolable virus. Even my boss does it.

I also despise being charged a booking fee for most types of tickets unless paying with shells, shiny beads and the shrunken heads of dead enemies. Agreed on the Ticketmaster front - absolute vermin.

I thought it began with Aussies?

How does a radio suck ? Does it have a mouth ?

Another peeve - Britons abroad who go native.

Ha Ha when in Rome and all that. I actually have to stop myself saying 'Tom-ay-to" instead of "tom-ah-to" and I hate myself for it.

Now cheer up you cantankerous old git! :P

People who talk about themselves in the third person. I hate it. The only reason I can think of doing it is if you want to be a complete 'Richard the Third'.

Completely agree - weirdos

Also;

Stan Colllymore - thre's a man who loves the sound of his own voice - i can't listen to it.

People who can't work out how to give way at mini roundabouts.

People who wait til the traffic lights turn green before putting their car into gear and taking off the handbrake.

Bloody health & safety. You can't do anything with doing a risk assessment first. Ridiculous.

• Backroom

People who talk about themselves in the third person. I hate it. The only reason I can think of doing it is if you want to be a complete 'Richard the Third'.

Tom's pet peeve this week is idiots who don't know the difference between opinion and proof.

This is from his jury duty where some people seem intent on condeming someone based on what they think and not what has been proved.

Archived