BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Life In The Uk Test

Hi all,

My wife is American and after living happily together for two years she has been told that she has to pass a 'Life in the UK' test. This is very annoying as we also have to give them a further £800. Not many people know this but the Government charge you £3,000 to marry someone from outside of the EU.

Most of the questions have very little importance to her life in the UK. I've posted five below for you to have a go at (Without Google please!!)

Answers later...

1. How much has the population of the UK grown since 1971?

i) 6.1%

ii) 7.5%

iii) 8.6%

iv) 7.7%

2. What percentage of children live with only one parent?

i) 13%

ii) 18%

iii) 22%

iv) 25%

3. Which statement is true?

i) The Welsh Assembly Government is in Cardiff

ii) The Welsh Assembly Government is in Swansea

4. It is illegal to be drunk in public.

i) True

ii) False

5. Which of these statements are correct?

i) The majority of young people take part in community events.

ii) A small number of young people take part in community events.

I'd guess at:

1) 7.5 *

2) 25% *

3) Cardiff

4) False

5) ii

*these questions are especially silly I think because it all depends on when the test was written and what thier data source is. Are they going off the last census in 2001? Are they using population estimates? etc etc

I'm not sure of the data source but it was last updated in 2007.

I've not seen the Santa Claus one but there are some amazing ones:

What day is Christmas Day?

True or false: The scouse accent is associated with Liverpool.

True or false: Guy Fawkes night is a celebration of the life of Guy Fawkes.

She is only legally allowed to stay in the country until 7th February (Despite us being married for nearly three years) so if she doesn't pass the test (Which is £35 a pop) then we have to apply for an extension for her to pass the test. We are both currently applying for teaching courses and I'm about to take my driving test for the first time so all this together is a worthy excuse for a nervous breakdown.

I'll stick the answers to the questions on after a few more people have had a go.

is it just me or are questions 1, 2, 3 and 5 completely irrelivant (SP?)? stupid test with dumb ass questions, and i wont even start on the price (how the hell can this country be so skint when the goverment is raking in 100's of billions a year (if not more)

is it just me or are questions 1, 2, 3 and 5 completely irrelivant (SP?)? stupid test with dumb ass questions, and i wont even start on the price (how the hell can this country be so skint when the goverment is raking in 100's of billions a year (if not more)

Totally agree. This is the side of immigration that noone ever hears about. My wife created her own position in her current company (So didn't steal a job), she pays tax and national insurance and has never used any public service. We met at Uni, our relationship was totally legit. Despite this, we had to provide immigration with every single e mail and letter that we had ever sent to each other, all of our parent's financial details and had our passports taken off us for months. Then they give you a fiance visa (For £1000). This allows you to get married. Once you do this, you are allowed to get married but nothing else. Once married you have to go back to Immigration to provide them with your life story again. You are then given a marriage visa (for £1000). Two years later, if you know enough about the norman invasion and where to get free condoms then you are given indefinite leave to stay (For £890).

I remember when we were first going out, travelling back and forth. A friend said to us "Why don't you just get married, it's all easy then isn't it?" :wacko:

I'm not sure of the data source but it was last updated in 2007.

I've just looked it up.

Without giving away the answer, there is a difference of 1.4% in the answers of:

change in population between 1971 and "current" 2007 population

and

change in population between 1971 and "current" 2009 population

So really they just want you to buy a book about "being British" and remember it all for a test, whether or not the facts/answers are still valid.

BPF,

What can I say apart from my complete incredulity that anyone anyone has to answer those questions to be accepted.

I doubt if 99% of the British population could answer them. I can do two with some certainty.

I hope you do that "well known web search engine" for them answers.

Your wife isn't Muslim is she?

Ooops, sorry everyone

BPF,

What can I say apart from my complete incredulity that anyone anyone has to answer those questions to be accepted.

I doubt if 99% of the British population could answer them. I can do two with some certainty.

I hope you do that "well known web search engine" for them answers.

Your wife isn't Muslim is she?

Ooops, sorry everyone

Thank you. Haha, no my wife is an Athiest. I couldn't have married anyone that wasn't an athiest! I'm shallow like that.

Here are the answers:

1. D

2. D

3. A

4. True

5. A

(Convert the i's to letters of the alphabet)

Currently going through the same ordeal in America, but I haven't reached the general knowledge round yet. The cost and laborious process of legal immigration is effing ridiculous. It's hilarious to imagine people going through this for non-genuine reasons.

Right now I'm not allowed to leave the country other than "in exceptional circumstances". Before last night I was ready to ask if Rovers getting to the Carling Cup final was exceptional enough.

OK, my try...

1) Secret option 5 - A bit.

2) A third

3) The Welsh have an assembly?

4) Secret option 3 - It's compulsory to be drunk in public - Hence illegal not to be.

5) Young people are regularly involved in events in the community. Hopefully they'll be caught on CCTV.

I'm being flippant, of course, but those questions are bloody daft. What use or ornament are they?

Currently going through the same ordeal in America, but I haven't reached the general knowledge round yet. The cost and laborious process of legal immigration is effing ridiculous. It's hilarious to imagine people going through this for non-genuine reasons.

Right now I'm not allowed to leave the country other than "in exceptional circumstances". Before last night I was ready to ask if Rovers getting to the Carling Cup final was exceptional enough.

Good luck mate. You'll be fine. We'll all look back on this one day and laugh.

OK, my try...

1) Secret option 5 - A bit.

2) A third

3) The Welsh have an assembly?

4) Secret option 3 - It's compulsory to be drunk in public - Hence illegal not to be.

5) Young people are regularly involved in events in the community. Hopefully they'll be caught on CCTV.

I'm being flippant, of course, but those questions are bloody daft. What use or ornament are they?

Totally crazy isn't it!

Immigration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaNQubqr_XU

An American girl at work married an English guy and had to take the test. Found it more of a nuisance than anything - it really is about memorizing stuff. I think one question was name 3 national sports.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived