BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Dingle Derby

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not true about Paytes being a bin man.

Shut up you idiot, you clearly don't know him, he was sacked from the club for borrowing money and not paying it back, allegedly :lol:

Oh, my old man's a dustman

He wears a dustman's hat

He wears cor blimey trousers

And he lives in a council flat

He looks a proper narner

In his great big hob nailed boots

He's got such a job to pull em up

That he calls them daisy roots

:lol:

Shut up you idiot, you clearly don't know him, he was sacked from the club for borrowing money and not paying it back, allegedly :lol:

Oh, my old man's a dustman

He wears a dustman's hat

He wears cor blimey trousers

And he lives in a council flat

He looks a proper narner

In his great big hob nailed boots

He's got such a job to pull em up

That he calls them daisy roots

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I was just chatting to a guy at work and neither of us actually understand the rivalary between Rovers and Burnley.

We came to the agreement that Burnley fans generally hate anything to do with Rovers with a passion. Where as the majority of Rovers fans we knew don't hold that much of a grudge towards Burnley.

Where did the grudge come from? Did something happen to kick it off?

and why do Burnley fans feel so much more hatred than Rovers?

I was just chatting to a guy at work and neither of us actually understand the rivalary between Rovers and Burnley.

When I first read that, I thought you were taking the mick. Where do you start? :lol:

Firstly, it mst be said, Burnley is a very strange place. Insular. It was once describled to me by a Regional Director of a big corporate company as a town with a village mentality. I've worked there and I've worked in Nelson. Whilst I made friends with some of my work colleagues, I found the general people of Burnley a strange breed indeed.

Then there's the football rivalry between the two towns. I can't speak for relations in the 50s and early to mid 60s because I started watching Rovers in 1966 just after we had been relegated. Burnley were in the top flight still and would last another four seasons or so. Even so, we then were relegated to Div 3 and our paths wouldn't cross properly until 1976, despite a few friendlies in the interim.

I have spoken to Darwen folk who watched Rovers at home one week and then went to either Bolton or Burnley the next, whilst Rovers were away, without trouble I may add. I think the rivalry (with hatred, if I can put it that way) was brought on by football hooliganism which was underway in the mid 60s but didn't really start properly until the early 70s.

My first game against Burnley was a 2-0 friendly win in 1970. Burnley had been top dogs for a few years and becase of that the Rovers fans were keen to put one over on their neighbours, which they did several times during and after the match. Probably before the game as well. I was only 12 at the time and was actually in the Darwen End with a couple of Burnley supporting school mates! It was my first taste of football violence and I was lucky to get away from the game unscathed. I am not gloryfying this by the way, just telling it how it was. We went to Burnley a few times for friendlies and Lancs Cup type games, prior to resuming league game rivalry, and it was always the Rovers fans who caused the more trouble - I think because we were generally the underdogs at that time but sort of wanted to show them who was boss, off the field because we didn't usually do it on the field.

Growing up following football at that time, the hooligan thing was just accepted. No doubt the older supporters frowned upon it, but as young teenagers you were just swept along with it. It wasn't confined to Blackburn/Burnley, it was a national thing.

Back to the original question about the hatred now stemming more fron Burnley that Rovers. That is because they have been underdogs for 30 years and not really played us much in that time. Part of football rivalry stems from two teams playing each other on a regular basis but a whole generation of Rovers (and Burnley) fans have grown up without that. Rovers fans have had much bigger fish to fry with top flight and European football, winning the Championship and League Cup. Burnley have been the underdogs for so long that their supporters aged around 35 would never have known their team beating us. They have had to bear that for so long and I can only assume that is the reason why their 'hatred' is (perhaps) on a higher scale than that of us to them. A complete turnaround from that game in 1970, and for a few years from then on, when it was the other way round.

I have spoken to Darwen folk who watched Rovers at home one week and then went to either Bolton or Burnley the next, whilst Rovers were away, without trouble I may add.

There were lots us did that in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

Rovers were relegated and we were still fans but if we wanted to watch top-flight football we went to Turf Moor.

Always supported the other team mind !

Burnley were a good team to watch in those days with Coates, Thomas, James, Dobson, Flynn, Hankin etc.

There's always been a floating support in Lancashire - witness the boom in Ewood attendances during the Dalglish / Jack Walker era and the decline since then.

When I first read that, I thought you were taking the mick. Where do you start? :lol:

Firstly, it mst be said, Burnley is a very strange place. Insular. It was once describled to me by a Regional Director of a big corporate company as a town with a village mentality. I've worked there and I've worked in Nelson. Whilst I made friends with some of my work colleagues, I found the general people of Burnley a strange breed indeed.

Then there's the football rivalry between the two towns. I can't speak for relations in the 50s and early to mid 60s because I started watching Rovers in 1966 just after we had been relegated. Burnley were in the top flight still and would last another four seasons or so. Even so, we then were relegated to Div 3 and our paths wouldn't cross properly until 1976, despite a few friendlies in the interim.

I have spoken to Darwen folk who watched Rovers at home one week and then went to either Bolton or Burnley the next, whilst Rovers were away, without trouble I may add. I think the rivalry (with hatred, if I can put it that way) was brought on by football hooliganism which was underway in the mid 60s but didn't really start properly until the early 70s.

My first game against Burnley was a 2-0 friendly win in 1970. Burnley had been top dogs for a few years and becase of that the Rovers fans were keen to put one over on their neighbours, which they did several times during and after the match. Probably before the game as well. I was only 12 at the time and was actually in the Darwen End with a couple of Burnley supporting school mates! It was my first taste of football violence and I was lucky to get away from the game unscathed. I am not gloryfying this by the way, just telling it how it was. We went to Burnley a few times for friendlies and Lancs Cup type games, prior to resuming league game rivalry, and it was always the Rovers fans who caused the more trouble - I think because we were generally the underdogs at that time but sort of wanted to show them who was boss, off the field because we didn't usually do it on the field.

Growing up following football at that time, the hooligan thing was just accepted. No doubt the older supporters frowned upon it, but as young teenagers you were just swept along with it. It wasn't confined to Blackburn/Burnley, it was a national thing.

Back to the original question about the hatred now stemming more fron Burnley that Rovers. That is because they have been underdogs for 30 years and not really played us much in that time. Part of football rivalry stems from two teams playing each other on a regular basis but a whole generation of Rovers (and Burnley) fans have grown up without that. Rovers fans have had much bigger fish to fry with top flight and European football, winning the Championship and League Cup. Burnley have been the underdogs for so long that their supporters aged around 35 would never have known their team beating us. They have had to bear that for so long and I can only assume that is the reason why their 'hatred' is (perhaps) on a higher scale than that of us to them. A complete turnaround from that game in 1970, and for a few years from then on, when it was the other way round.

That clears that up then haha.

Cheers

Rovers were relegated and we were still fans but if we wanted to watch top-flight football we went to Turf Moor.

Always supported the other team mind !

Me too Jim - In the early 70s I went to Burnley, Bolton and Preston (in that order) if I fancied taking in a game if Rovers were too far away for me to travel.

I've been told by an older family member that the rivalry isn't just down to football. It was over an number of instances between our two towns. The first being Blackburners crossing a picket line when some mills had closed in Burnley. They Blackburners needed money and took Burnley jobs. Much to this dissatisfaction of the Burnley people.

Another inccident was during a football in the early days of the League, basically we were a club with money and brought a few top Scottish players down to play for us. One of them got sent off and refused to leave the pitch, which upset the Burnley players. Seeing our player wouldn't leave when asked, it was believe the whole Burnley team walked off as a protest to our unsportly behaviour (or something along those lines).

History eh?

I may be wrong, but I also through it was a town thing between us and football got thrown into the whole pot.

The whole nation is feeling sorry for Burnley according to manager Brian Laws.

1 football Fulham NightleadSWEDE DREAMS FOR ELM

By Adrian Curtis, Press Association Sport

Striker David Elm is hoping Fulham can help him to emulate his more famous brothers by playing for Sweden.

Fulham boss Roy Hodgson failed to sign Sweden international Rasmus Elm last summer but decided to take a chance on the midfielder's brother instead.

At £500,000, Elm's signing may turn out to be a real steal after his impressive performance in Fulham's 3-0 win over Burnley at Craven Cottage last night.

Elm laid on the first goal for captain Danny Murphy with a cushioned header and then notched his first for the club when he slipped the ball beyond Brian Jensen on the half-hour.

The 27-year-old striker was signed from Swedish champions Kalmar FF and although he initially found it hard to adapt to English football, he is now pushing for an extension to his one-year deal.

``It has been difficult coming from Sweden to the Premier League,'' admitted Elm. ``There is a big difference in the tempo of the game here and it is more aggressive but I have been patient and I took my chance when I got it against Burnley.

``Fulham told me before I joined that I was an interesting player and it would be exciting to see if I could make the step.

``I knew it was going to be tough but I never had any second thoughts. I love it here. The dream scenario is that I can get a lot of time playing here.''

Long-term injuries to Andrew Johnson and Clint Dempsey plus the departures of Seol Ki-Hyeon and Diomansy Kamara have allowed Elm to flourish.

Elm is desperate to emulate brothers Rasmus, 21, and Viktor, 24, by playing for Sweden and there is every chance of him achieving that goal after impressing Hodgson.

``At the time David came in, we had quite a lot of forward players but he's moved very quickly up the pecking order and he's shown that he deserves to be there,'' said Hodgson.

``He's probably the least famous of the three brothers. Rasmus was the one who had attracted the most attention, both ourselves and Everton were very keen to sign him. He eventually chose to go to AZ Alkmaar. Viktor was already at Heerenveen and I don't think David was really expecting a foreign club to come in for him.

``Luckily I have some contacts in Sweden, everyone spoke very well of him and I must say he's been a bit of a revelation.''

Meanwhile, Burnley boss Brian Laws believes the nation are behind his team as they look to end their away-day hoodoo.

Burnley are yet to win away from Turf Moor and in a bid to re-charge their batteries, the Clarets have headed for a three-day break in the sun.

After taking just one point from a possible 39 on their travels, Laws insists the players would be doing their utmost to put an end to the miserable run in the last six away fixtures.

He is hoping they can find the key during their short stint in Portugal.

``I think we are getting to a point where the nation will feel sorry for us and want us to get a point,'' said Laws.

``We will be trying ever so hard to put it right and we have a good opportunity now, going to Portugal, to look a little deeper and break down what is triggering these defeats.

``We will get this result somewhere. It may be Aston Villa, it may be Arsenal, but we will keep banging at it and trying to change things.

``We're not going to give up on our away performances or we might as well not turn up from the start.''

He also paid tribute to the Burnley fans who made the long trip to West London and chanted his name throughout the second half.

``The one positive we have is the supporters who made the trip,'' said Laws.

``They have seen their team not play particularly well and get beat again, yet their support was unwavering.

``That sort of thing will get to the players, where they know they have unbelievable backing from everyone.''

end

There's always been a floating support in Lancashire - witness the boom in Ewood attendances during the Dalglish / Jack Walker era and the decline since then.

There hasn't really been a decline...it's just that tickets have to be cheap enough in this part of the world.

Our average this season will most likely (presuming we have a full house against United at least) be roughly as high (give or take a thousand or so) as any other season in our history since 1959. In fact ignoring one freak season - 58/59 when we got over 30,000 - our average attendance has had a n approximate ceiling of 26-27,000 more or less since the War. Admittedly we have to keep that up with cheap tickets but then Blackburn as an area can hardly compete financially with most other places that have supported a Prem team.

That we are so close to that this season despite languishing in the bottom half for the entirity suggests that Rovers have loyal support and are nowhere near as much glory hunters as other sets of fans. Dingles for example. Their attendance has always seeminly gone up and down like a yo-yo.

I've been told by an older family member that the rivalry isn't just down to football. It was over an number of instances between our two towns. The first being Blackburners crossing a picket line when some mills had closed in Burnley. They Blackburners needed money and took Burnley jobs. Much to this dissatisfaction of the Burnley people.

Another inccident was during a football in the early days of the League, basically we were a club with money and brought a few top Scottish players down to play for us. One of them got sent off and refused to leave the pitch, which upset the Burnley players. Seeing our player wouldn't leave when asked, it was believe the whole Burnley team walked off as a protest to our unsportly behaviour (or something along those lines).

History eh?

I may be wrong, but I also through it was a town thing between us and football got thrown into the whole pot.

It sounds like a few stories might have got mixed up in there.

Someone has probably got a bit mixed up with the story. The football incident is probably the one when there was a blizzard at Turf Moor and all the Rovers team - except the goalkeeper - walked off. The Burnley team then kicked off and the Rovers goaly successfully appealed for offside. The keeper was then able to dawdle over the kick so long that eventually the ref decided it wasn't worth it and abandoned the game. Hence a legendary story about one Rovers player taking on the whole Burnley team and not giving an inch was born.

In the early days however the main rivals were Darwen - from whom we nicked their star Scottish player which led to a riot at a game and might be mixed in with the stories - and Blackburn Olympic. If you look at gates we often got our biggest gates against Preston North End and Bolton suggesting they might have been just as big rivals depending on the time. They both just as close if not in fact a bit nearer. Think Preston are our closest league rivals (other than Accy) and Bolton used to be closer when they had Burnden Park.

I've heard that tale before about crossing the picket line but not sure if it is true. It sounds a bit like the tale about Wiganners on strike and how they are called pie-eaters because they had to eat "humble pie". Not sure if that is anything other than an urban myth either.

Would be interesting if anyone can shed any more light on this.

Bumley fans hate Rovers because:-

Blackburn is a bigger town, bigger club, older club, better history, bigger trophy haul, better & bigger ground, bigger crowds.

We`ve got more FA cups, more championship titles, a bigger record attendance, they`ve not beaten us in anger for nearly 32yrs, we`ve never dropped as low as them. We`re the most successful Lancashire town team. We`re the most successful town team in England.

Generations of dingles have never seen a successful dingle team beating Rovers.

....& do you know what?? :huh: They can`t handle it.

Rovers hate Bumley because:-

They are c###s. End of ;)

Bumley fans hate Rovers because:-

Blackburn is a bigger town, bigger club, older club, better history, bigger trophy haul, better & bigger ground, bigger crowds.

We`ve got more FA cups, more championship titles, a bigger record attendance, they`ve not beaten us in anger for nearly 32yrs, we`ve never dropped as low as them. We`re the most successful Lancashire town team. We`re the most successful town team in England.

Generations of dingles have never seen a successful dingle team beating Rovers.

....& do you know what?? :huh: They can`t handle it.

Rovers hate Bumley because:-

They are c###s. End of ;)

That's a much better answer than mine, Cletus. :lol:

Archived