BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Am I The Only One

Kelbo

I thought the use of towels was stopped years ago after John Aldridge's Tranmere side kept using them about 10 years back?

From an article from 2000

It was a different matter off the field, though, as the ill-feeling over the validity of Dave Challinor's long throw spilled over and led to rival managers Aldridge and Sam Allardyce being at loggerheads almost from the first whistle. Allardyce took exception to Tranmere using a towel to dry the ball in an attempt to help Challinor propel it even further.

Throw-ins were an unexploited part of the game for so long. Just natural that they should be improved and perfected.

The towel is as much a part of the game as improving the surface of a goalkeepers gloves or technology that goes into boots.

Just wish Pedersen would stop thinking he is Delap. His throws are dross.

Throw-ins were an unexploited part of the game for so long. Just natural that they should be improved and perfected.

The towel is as much a part of the game as improving the surface of a goalkeepers gloves or technology that goes into boots.

Just wish Pedersen would stop thinking he is Delap. His throws are dross.

I hate the long throws myself, but did anybody think Reid took them FAR better against Fulham? there was actually SOME pace on it.

I have come to accept long throws as part of our game at the moment, however we are useless at them! We never (hardly ever) actually win any of the throws that go into the box, maybe that is because MGP's throws aren't flat and have little pace, but surely the Rovers strikers should know what type of ball he delivers and be able to react to it? The same thing happens when Robinson does a long punt, we never benefit from them, we sort of want to be a direct team but dont quite pull it off...

As I said I've come to accept this type of play and don't mind it, but only if we make sure we get something from it!

Why?

How hard is for a referee to stop the watch?

Given the pace of the game, very.

I used to referee American footy and you could do it because the game is more stop start. Even then I'd find that the button hadn't pressed and I'd 'lost' about 5 mins!

There's enough for a ref to do, usually without independent linesmen, an grass roots level. Adding a stopwatch system would be onerous.

Archived