BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Recipes

Cooking, eating out or grabbing a takeaway are very important aspects of my leisure time. I know we have a Restaurant thread but thought members on this board may want to add their favourite recipes for others to try!

They should be tried and tested with comments and tips if at all possible.

I shall start with a very simple sauce I made at the weekend.

Sweet Chilli Sauce:

• Fill a cup half way with sugar (I use a mug that I have a brew in) and empty into a saucepan.
  • Fill the same cup to the top with White Wine Vinegar and empty into the saucepan.
  • Add three cloves of garlic (halved) to the pan.
  • Salt and pepper
  • One chopped red chilli (depending on how hot you like it)
  • One small chopped red pepper
  • Cook for 15 minutes stirring on a regular basis. Once the liquid has turned into a form of syrup, take it off the heat and add to a food processor.
  • Blitz until smooth.
  • Store in a jar and refrigerate for an hour before using with prawns, chicken, vegetables, fish and so on.

OK I shall try that.

Here's one of ours, which is really just a variation on many vegetable receipes. In our house it's known as "Interesting Potatoes." Why? Well anyone who has kids will understand the constant moans about boring potatoes. One night my wife made this receipe only to be asked "What sort of potatoes are we having?" to which she responded "Interesting ones!" (soemwhat irritably) You probably had to be there, anyway.......................

Interesting Potatoes

Works with new or old potatoes but new are much better. Select enough potatoes to feed however many you have eating. Wash in cold water and quickly dry in kitchen towel or a tea towel. Cut the potatoes in to approximately one inch cubes, this means quartering your average sized new potato.

Pour a generous quantity of olive oil into a lage bowl, add black pepper and salt (preferably ground rock salt as it's crunchy) to taste. Then slice as many garlic gloves as you fancy ( I use 2-3 gloves to feed 4 people) and put the garlic and potatoes in the bowl. Mix thoroughly with your fingers to ensure the potatoes are coated. Pour everything on to a baking tray and pop in the middle of the oven at gas mark 5 - 6. After about 15 minutes turn the potatoes to stop them sticking. Cook for about another 10-15 minutes and serve just as the potatoes are getting slightly crispy.

For extra "interest" add any root vegetable you like; red onions, kohralbi, celeriac, carrots, parsnips are all good. We also add courgettes, aubergine and any other vegetable that can be roasted. great for using up odds and ends. Just slice or chop to a similar size to the potatoes.

Serve with practically anything but we especially enjoy either version with good quality lamb steaks, chicken or a nice beef steak. Also makes an interesting alternative for a veggie guest.

OK I shall try that.

Here's one of ours, which is really just a variation on many vegetable receipes. In our house it's known as "Interesting Potatoes." Why? Well anyone who has kids will understand the constant moans about boring potatoes. One night my wife made this receipe only to be asked "What sort of potatoes are we having?" to which she responded "Interesting ones!" (soemwhat irritably) You probably had to be there, anyway.......................

Interesting Potatoes

Works with new or old potatoes but new are much better. Select enough potatoes to feed however many you have eating. Wash in cold water and quickly dry in kitchen towel or a tea towel. Cut the potatoes in to approximately one inch cubes, this means quartering your average sized new potato.

Pour a generous quantity of olive oil into a lage bowl, add black pepper and salt (preferably ground rock salt as it's crunchy) to taste. Then slice as many garlic gloves as you fancy ( I use 2-3 gloves to feed 4 people) and put the garlic and potatoes in the bowl. Mix thoroughly with your fingers to ensure the potatoes are coated. Pour everything on to a baking tray and pop in the middle of the oven at gas mark 5 - 6. After about 15 minutes turn the potatoes to stop them sticking. Cook for about another 10-15 minutes and serve just as the potatoes are getting slightly crispy.

For extra "interest" add any root vegetable you like; red onions, kohralbi, celeriac, carrots, parsnips are all good. We also add courgettes, aubergine and any other vegetable that can be roasted. great for using up odds and ends. Just slice or chop to a similar size to the potatoes.

Serve with practically anything but we especially enjoy either version with good quality lamb steaks, chicken or a nice beef steak. Also makes an interesting alternative for a veggie guest.

That's very similar to a Delia Smith recipe I use - the only real difference is that she uses rosemary as well. I find it particularly fine with a barbecue as you can leave the potatoes in the oven coming to no harm while you wait for the vagaries of the barbecue.

Got a nice fresh seabass off Darwen market the other week, got the fella to fillet it, lovely fish and so easy and quick to cook - this takes less than 10 mins to prepare and cook.

- slash the skin side of the fillets diagonally three or four times just through into the flesh

- shove a generous sprig of fresh rosemary into each slash in the skin

- rub a bit of olive oil over the rest of the fillets and sprinke with coarse sea salt

- in a hot ovenproof frying pan, sear the fillets skin side down over a high heat for about 60 seconds

- transfer to a hot oven (200 C) for 3-4 minutes (leave fillets skin side down)

- remove the pan, chuck in a small cube of butter and squeeze some fresh lemon juice over the fish

- serve, season with pepper, drizzle the lemon juice / butter combo from the pan over the fillets

Delicious. Usually have a bag of salad in the fridge, so there's a healthy light meal on the plate in ~8 minutes, without touching the microwave!

That's very similar to a Delia Smith recipe I use

I'm sure it will be. It's basically just roasting any vegetable you can find, seems to retain the flavours far better than any other cooking method.

OK I shall try that.

Interesting Potatoes

Paul..... Try the same but also mix a couple of teaspoons of hot lime pickle with the oil and potatoes before roasting! It's not pungent or hot as you would expect it just makes fantastically flavoured roasties. You will not be disappointed but make sure any meat is fairly plain e.g. roast chicken, grilled chops etc so as not to clash. If you are a bit hesitent you can either use 1 teaspoon or buy medium hot lime pickle. Try it. ;)

First one

More potato!

Big potatoes. Parboil or microwave for a bit. Don't blitz them.

Stick a metal skewer (or an unfolded paper clip) through them lengthways, low down, then cut down to the skewer from the top and open up the cuts.

Stuff the cuts with garlic & olive oil or butter & herbs. Brush the whole spud with oil or butter.

Bung in a hot oven for 30 minutes to crisp up on the outside, a bit like garlic bread but potato.

Second one.

It might sound a bit strange, but if you ever cook a chilli, put some cocoa powder in there. It works wonders. I've never tried putting some Cadbury's in there. If you do let me know how it goes.

Third one

Rice. Don't buy cheap stuff. Wash it lots and lots in cold water. Cook in loads of water, rinse in cold water, drain, and then dry off in the microwave on a plate on low for 5 minutes. It's the only way you'll get it like in the restaraunt.

Bon Appetite

Second one.

It might sound a bit strange, but if you ever cook a chilli, put some cocoa powder in there. It works wonders. I've never tried putting some Cadbury's in there. If you do let me know how it goes.

If cocoa powder is not available then try dark chocolate.

here...

http://whatleydude.com/2009/04/chocolate-chilli-yum/

Got a nice fresh seabass off Darwen market the other week, got the fella to fillet it, lovely fish and so easy and quick to cook - this takes less than 10 mins to prepare and cook.

- slash the skin side of the fillets diagonally three or four times just through into the flesh

- shove a generous sprig of fresh rosemary into each slash in the skin

- rub a bit of olive oil over the rest of the fillets and sprinke with coarse sea salt

- in a hot ovenproof frying pan, sear the fillets skin side down over a high heat for about 60 seconds

- transfer to a hot oven (200 C) for 3-4 minutes (leave fillets skin side down)

- remove the pan, chuck in a small cube of butter and squeeze some fresh lemon juice over the fish

- serve, season with pepper, drizzle the lemon juice / butter combo from the pan over the fillets

Delicious. Usually have a bag of salad in the fridge, so there's a healthy light meal on the plate in ~8 minutes, without touching the microwave!

Tris, if your eating fish with herbs you have to try this (I was right about the poached eggs wasn't I ?)

Easy and mindblowing

Fry shallots or tiny onions on a deep pan with chopped up bacon. When the bacon and onions take on a bit of colour tip in frozen peas (yes frozen)and keep them moving over the heat adding black pepper.

Keep tasting, they won't take long through heat through, serve immediately.

Told my Dad when I made it for them, he's 70 and his response "bloody bacon and onions wi' fish ??" - every scrap disappeared off the plate.

It's one of Gordon's, officially Petite Pois Bon Femme

Try it and report back please ... :tu:

Archived