BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Andy Murray & Laura Robson

Anyone been watching the Aussie open?

Im not a big fan, but I dont mind watching these two when in action - both very talented.

Murray now into the final on Sunday 8am after winning his Semi in 4 sets today..

Hope the miserable scotch git loses.

I would have thought people would be a little bit more receptive to one of the very few genuinely world-class British athletes in a mainsteam sport. His entire life is dedicated to tennis and that is the reason he is so good at it. It isn't his job to be funny or entertaining. He tried that years ago when joking about England in the World Cup and bizarrely some people still have a huge chip on their shoulder about it. No wonder he doesn't go out of his way to provide soundbites when that happens.

Best of luck to him on Sunday. Followed him closely for about five years now and he completely deserves it.

I would have thought people would be a little bit more receptive to one of the very few genuinely world-class British athletes in a mainsteam sport. His entire life is dedicated to tennis and that is the reason he is so good at it.

Best of luck to him on Sunday. Followed him closely for about five years now and he completely deserves it.

Yeah real class, I too have been following him pretty closely for the last 3 years....he has come on much stronger in the last year or two and has continued that into this season.

Same goes for Robson, at 15 she looks like she will go on to be a very good player too

Couldn't agree more, and I'm sure he'd be the first to say he's scottish not British

You got any examples of this, TCO? About 5 years ago at the US Open he corrected an American for calling him English. Anything else?

Shouldn't this be in the 'Who gets your spuds boiling' thread? (I'll get banned for that!)

Who Laura Robson??

Your ok - she actually turned 16 on the 21st Jan - so your safe....

She has made it into the Junior Final too....2am Saturday morning!

Robson was born in Melbourne to Australian parents.

Murray can be British, going into the final.

If he loses he'll be a miserable and useless Scotch git.

Andy Murray is a Scot, or Scottish. Scotch is a drink.

And Robson has lived in England since she was very young and is delighted to consider herself English.

• Backroom

Meh I just don't like the bloke, good tennis player though.

The dislike probably stems from the 'anyone but England' joke for a lot of people but he also comes accross as a bit of a nob most of the time I think

For Jim:

Scotch

Wikpaedia says it for you.

Scotch, a largely obsolescent adjective meaning having to do with Scotland and sometimes considered pejorative.

Also, for your information

Times style, regarded as the definitive best use of English. Follow the links to S.

http://www.timesonli...ticle986737.ece

Debate here

http://www.digitalsp...ad.php?t=681708

http://www.urbandict...ish%2C%20Scotch

Definition of a Scottish (not Scotch) tennis player: useless, bottler, over-emotional.

Andy Murray got well beaten by Federer today. Federer is total class & almost untouchable on his day. He makes the game look so easy. Murray played well but got taught a lesson in class.

I`m not a hater of Murray. He`s a very good tennis player. Granted he upset a few people with his anti-England jibes, but i bet a lot of the Murray haters on here are the one`s who shout loudest when any racist subjects are disgussed on this messageboard. Is calling Murray a Scotch so & so the same as calling a person of asian origin a paki so & so? :huh: If not, can somebody tell me the difference? :huh:

COYB!! :rover:

Archived