BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] John Terry

Ricky

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Mirror has a list of past captains and I can't but help but think it's a sad state of affairs if we can't find men of similar character in today's game.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/mirror-football-blog/John-Terry-affair-The-England-like-Bobby-Moore-Billy-Wright-captains-who-were-true-moral-leaders-article309057.html

Mirror gobshytes...where's the great Bob Crompton in that list? <_<

The big problem is, what do all the other players think? Terry is their leader on the pitch, if they still have respect for him then he should stay England captain, if they don't he should be replaced. The decision should not be based on what we the public, polliticians or the views of the gutter press think, it should be the decision of Fabio Capello who I am sure will make the right choice for his England team.

My big question is why would the NOTW in World Cup year decide that this is in their interests to publish this Non News as this is more likely to be a hinderance to the team. I would also like to question how Wayne Bridge feels about this becoming public, Im sure hes not over the moon about his private life being plastered all over the press and being the hot topic. Although, he has handled himself very well.

One last thing I believe that John Terry is a grade a Cock!

I agree and disagree with you, mainly because I don't want to treat athletes as a representation of a nation. I just want to treat them as athletes, but if we are going to see them as representations, then maybe Terry is an accurate representation of modern English society?

My problem with all of this is the role the media play. They stick their nose into the private lives of celebrities and they stretch the truth at every corner. That's not even my issue though, my issue is that this woman has gone out and told the press about this, when it really shouldn't have been anywhere near it and dealt with in private between her, Terry and Bridge.

I might go into this further later, but I simply choose to ignore media stories that don't actually provide me with some sort of hard evidence of events. I don't want to judge these people based on their private lives, which as far as I'm concerned are fake. Football players are always dating models or some other celebrity, how come there's never any stories about them dating a childhood sweetheart or some girl working a normal job they met at a grocery store?

All of this just makes for good reading, gives people something to talk about, keeps other people in their jobs. I don't condone Terry's behaviour, in fact I'm 100% against it. I do think these are different circusmtances and challenges that we as normal people don't experience. I don't know if anyone has watched Funny People (the new Adam Sandler movie), but I thought it was an excellent movie and a very honest one. There's a line from it where he says something like "it's easy not to cheat, when you have no one to cheat with".

So yes, I don't think it's my place to judge, and I don't think Terry should be stripped of his captaincy based on his private life. It will be a problem if Terry and Bridge have to play together, but I also think they are adults and can work this out.

I think you're confusing why people are calling for him to lose the captaincy.

It's not because he committed adultery.

it's because he's an incredibly important part of a team. A team is a collection of individuals that when put together can acheive great things. For this to happen, there has to be mutual respect, trust and a sense of brotherhood.

how can any of the team members look up to terry knowing that he did the dirty on one of his best friends.

if you've ever played any team sports - imagine how you'd feel. I know I could never look at the guy the same again. And that would bound to have an effect on the pitch. It might even be subconscious.

But I think its naive to think it could all just be swept under the carpet. I guess it highlights problems in our society as a whole that people think that its no big deal.

Well thanks a lot to the Sun newspaper for disrupting the squad before the biggest tournament in the world, in a year where we had a real chance of glory.

Just before the games begin, these idiot tabloid hacks will doubtless cover the front pages with comedy germans, soppy frenchmen, union flags, Winston Churchill etc. The headlines 'Come on you boys' or 'England expects'

And yet in a bid to flog copy will have pulled the squad out of shape and have left the news bulletins wondering where Terry's knob has been rather than winning the world cup.

Well thanks a lot to the Sun newspaper for disrupting the squad before the biggest tournament in the world, in a year where we had a real chance of glory.

Just before the games begin, these idiot tabloid hacks will doubtless cover the front pages with comedy germans, soppy frenchmen, union flags, Winston Churchill etc. The headlines 'Come on you boys' or 'England expects'

And yet in a bid to flog copy will have pulled the squad out of shape and have left the news bulletins wondering where Terry's knob has been rather than winning the world cup.

Its much better for England to put their house in order now, rather than have this type of episode come out and thrust on the public weeks before the tournammnet, i'd have thought.

Think there were grumblings inside the FA that they, or some of the committee, were never happy with John Terry being appointed as the England captain in the first place due to his misdemeanours in the past.

According to SSN, Terry has been dropped as captain after a 12 minute meeting.

Capello is a ruthless @#/? isn't he? 12 minutes?

I thought The Sun was in his corner, they were slinging enough mud at the girl for being a groupie.

It should have been Steven Gerrard or Wayne Rooney, they give everything plus more for the teams they play in just like Terry. Although both of these two have had indiscretions in the past and perhaps Rooney possibly needs another major tournament where he can focus on playing without added pressure and to prove he can stay dicaplined at the top level under pressure.

Ferdinand does not scream inspirational leader which is what you need for England captain. If Im honest Beckham and Shearer did not have that quality, Beckham was all about commercial value and Shearer strikes me as quite selfish(Theres a reason why hes one of the greatest goalscorers of all time)and very dull.

This BTW sums the situation up perfectly. Completely uneccessary for it to come out.

• Backroom

Is this not more the fault of Terry than the newspaper?

Of course it is, he is a high profile individual he knows his daily life will be under scrutiny so whatever actions or decisions he makes there is a good chance the press will find out and publicise it.

Interesting to see how Capello spins this, if he says its on moral grounds then that argument will be blown out of the water considering Terry's replacement was banned from the sport and has recently been involved in a violent conduct incident.

Its no wonder a number of fans are completely switching off when it comes to England and get far more enjoyment from following and supporting their football club than their national team. The England squad is full of scumbag individuals and vastly overrated players that are simply not good enough to play at national level.

Quite so.

Blaming the messenger is always a pathetic response.

Well done Capello for doing the right thing. I doubt if a British manager would have had the balls to do the same.

The only reason why I was ambivalent about this thing is the complete trash from which to pick his successor.

Either of Gerrard, Lampard or Rooney would be a good captain.

Compared to the England cricket captain's job, the England football captaincy is a non-job anyway.

Hats off to Capello for doing the right thing. :tu:

I said it from the beginning that what Terry did would have major repercussions with England because if he had stayed Captain then there may have been a split in the camp, some on Terry's side and some on Bridges. It has also served notice to the other players that it does not matter who you are Capello is prepared to take tough stances- 12 minutes on a decision- ouch!

The England squad is full of scumbag individuals and vastly overrated players that are simply not good enough to play at national level.

Aren't they still scumbag individuals when they turn out for their club?

I'm not sure whether it's a case of the best English players (ie, those who make the national side) are scumbags; or whether the 'papers only dig dirt on the national squad members, and the players who aren't internationals get passed over.

Mind you, I don't remember any Rovers fans saying they were fed up with Rovers when the Flitcroft thing came out. And I doubt Man city fans were tearing up their season tickets when the micah richards scandal broke.

Archived