BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 4 8 15 16 23 42

Nope - usually in the US, a series (23 or so episodes) gets played from September through April/May. Lost and 24 have both been starting in January for the past couple of years so they can play the entire series without a break.

I was under the impression there has been a short (one or two weeks) mid season break in Lost US transmissions over the last few years? I vaguely recall having to have a single week off last season due to catching up with the US transmissions? Its very vague though and may be totally wide of the mark - I dont generally pay enough attention!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure what it's based on but I seem to have it in my head that season 6 has much fewer episodes that normal - about 15 or 16??

EDIT: according to wiki it's 18 (with the final week being a double episode).

Seriously I definitley think it's got something to do with the time travelling thing again, if I remember correctly Desmond was the constant betweent the two different periods of times last time for Daniel Faraday. I'm guessing maybe he's the link between the losties on the island timeline and the losties in the normal timeline (he was on the plane and then apreared to disappear remember).

I was basically spot on with this. Be interesting to see where the series goes from here still a lot of unanswered questions. Brilliant to see Desmond and Charlie again, two of the better characters in my opinion. :)

• 1 month later...

Okay, I'll go first - assuming most people have watched it by now.

There were some nice moments but what on earth was it all about?

6 years of mystery and intrigue and they basically just explain away very little. So the parallel universe which we only saw in this series was actually some kind of place for souls 'in denial' of the fact they are dead?

What about everything else? Resetting the button every 108 minutes? Daniel Faraday's significance? What actually is the island? Where did 'mother' come from? What was the point of all of the emphasis on Aaron? Was it all just some rite of passage for Jack?

I thought the meeting between Desmond and Elouise was going to be fundemental to it all but... nothing! Seemingly Desmond 'discovered' the truth (i.e. the hidden memories) but what about Elouise? What was her role in all this?

lost-flashesbeforeyoureyes_1171563920.jpg

Jacob explained that everyone was brought to the island because they had terrible lives, yet HE was probably the reason for this in his visits to them as children.

The writers just seemed to give up and simply close off the series without actually explaining many of the sub-plots.

Very disappointed with it. Even moreso because I was one of the mugs who got up at 5am to watch it yesterday morning!

Anyone got any of the answers for me?? Or is that the whole point that, even after the series has finished, we are all still LOST?!

Very frustrating ending to it all.

What was the statue? Why didn't Jack become a smoke monster?

Aaron well sod knows what he was all about, I thought at one stage he would become the new Jacob?

Why did no-one kill Ben after all his antics I'd have left him under that tree, Sawyer knew where to go.

This parallel universe rubbish I thought would be all about getting the Island back since we saw it submerged after the nuclear explosion.

Even at the end I thought they might go back via one of those worm-hole things Ben used to get to the desert.

Just didn't get on board with all the meeting up with loved ones, especially Sayid wasn't his true love the Arab girl he tortured?

I have to say I echo Jisty's comments, in that I'm very disappointed with the way its all ended. That last episode with the exception of the MIB parts was fine, but the off Island plot thats been running in season 6 is a crap of crock.

I thought the ending was beautiful.

Granted there are unanswered questions, but that's life for you.

The fact is, most of the major questions were answered halfway through season 6. The 'ending' was determined right at the start, they knew how it was going to end before they filmed the pilot.

Don't be surprised to see a film based around Hurley and Ben running the island if the production company starts to get strapped for cash....

I thought the ending was beautiful.

Granted there are unanswered questions, but that's life for you.

The fact is, most of the major questions were answered halfway through season 6. The 'ending' was determined right at the start, they knew how it was going to end before they filmed the pilot.

Don't be surprised to see a film based around Hurley and Ben running the island if the production company starts to get strapped for cash....

No they didn't and none of the head writers or creators of the show have ever said that. They were totally unsure of how long the show would even exist for and thought it unlikely that they would get more than a few episodes and this, tied in with the fact that the show was rather hastily put together in the first place, meant that they had a few ideas for the first few episodes but no long-term plan for the series.

JJ Abrams

Unconfirmed press statement. I'm sure I've read several times that they had a plan of where it was ending. Several seasons ago I read an interview with Matthew Fox were he said that he knew the ending and described it as beautiful.

I can't conceive of an ending which would satisfactorily address all the disparate incidents shown over 6 years and satisfy everyone. I think it worked as a piece of art and continues to work as people continue to talk about it.

Anyway, the fantastic part about all moving image and art is that there is, in my opinion, no bad or good. It is entirely down to individual perspective and personally I loved it. I'm grateful to the show for providing many hours of high quality entertainment for many years.

JJ Abrams

Unconfirmed press statement. I'm sure I've read several times that they had a plan of where it was ending. Several seasons ago I read an interview with Matthew Fox were he said that he knew the ending and described it as beautiful.

I can't conceive of an ending which would satisfactorily address all the disparate incidents shown over 6 years and satisfy everyone. I think it worked as a piece of art and continues to work as people continue to talk about it.

Anyway, the fantastic part about all moving image and art is that there is, in my opinion, no bad or good. It is entirely down to individual perspective and personally I loved it. I'm grateful to the show for providing many hours of high quality entertainment for many years.

I see where you're coming from and as I said there were some nice moments. It's just that some big fundemental bits weren't even attempted to be explained. E.g. pressing the button every 108 minutes? Did we ever find out why?

I thought the soundtrack in the final episode was VERY out of place. At times it was like music from a Western!

I see where you're coming from and as I said there were some nice moments. It's just that some big fundemental bits weren't even attempted to be explained. E.g. pressing the button every 108 minutes? Did we ever find out why?

Yes, to keep the island's energy in check.

I watched it too and even though I thought it looked great and was a good ending, the fact that I didn't really understand what was going on or what the ending meant has irritated me. Could someone please explain (as best they can) what the ending was? Did they all die on the original plane crash? And if so, what has the last 6 seasons been about? A dream? Alternate universe? Did they really leave the island and then come back? What about the people who came to the island, like the scientists, Charles Whitmore and the Special Forces guys? There are far too may sub-plots and side lines to be all cleared up, but overall, what did it really mean?

I think the idea of not having neatly tied up all the threads and explaining everything is aggravating to most but is very clever. This is a programme that will be discussed at the bar and dinner tables for years to come and everyone will have an opinion on what the full explanation is. Those that missed out will buy or borrow the box set from 'Losties' and have a chance to join in. It leaves a lot of doors open for fan fiction, a return of the series etc.

Now I just have to figure out what I reckon it was all about!

Well, I loved it and unlike most people, didn't feel cheated by the ending, sure every minor sub-plot didn't get resolved, but it was never going to.

I watched it too and even though I thought it looked great and was a good ending, the fact that I didn't really understand what was going on or what the ending meant has irritated me. Could someone please explain (as best they can) what the ending was? Did they all die on the original plane crash? And if so, what has the last 6 seasons been about? A dream? Alternate universe? Did they really leave the island and then come back? What about the people who came to the island, like the scientists, Charles Whitmore and the Special Forces guys? There are far too may sub-plots and side lines to be all cleared up, but overall, what did it really mean?

A good guide to explaining the ending (or at least, one that agrees with me) can be found at

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/tv/what-happened-lost-finale-explanation.php

I stopped watching after season 1.

I knew there would be no answers and it would make no sense, and would leave me incredibly frustrated.

A little earlier than I.

Season 1 was excellent, but 4 or 5 episodes into season 2 I realised they were just trying to string it out to syndication and were happy to make crap up that they'd never answer.

If all were dead from start and all met up...where was Michel and walt?

They weren't all dead from the start. They all died at different times but as soon as each of them died they went to what we thought was the parallel universe. Once they 'let go' of their guilt they were able to remember that they had died and then all met up at the church.

The link Glenn put makes a lot of sense.

In the end it was like two separate storylines. Why Jacob needed them to come to the island, I'm still not convinced.

Archived