BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Fútbol, Le Foot, Voetbal, ποδόσφαιρο

Was thinking the same Dreams. As soon as you have ESL appearance you are unable to play in the regular league. You'd hope it would put a lot of people off going there because if the move doesn't work out you either play for Arsenal or no one at all. Either way your career is over. 

There needs to be a hard stance on this and if it sets football back 30 years that might not be the worst thing in the world. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

PSG would be out on a limb domestically as sole French club.

Don't be surprised if they soon change their mind with s more softly wait and see the reaction approach.

I don't see PSG, Bayern Munich and Dortmund joining this European Super League. So which other 8 clubs will join this European Super League? 

Also Fans groups whether its Liverpool or Spurs condemning their clubs actions to join this ESL. 

So why did these clubs not consult their fans bases? I wonder if these owners and club presidents will go through with it? 

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Got to laugh at the faux outrage from the ex players, pundits and journalists. Presumably they will boycott any coverage of this competition and refuse work for it.

Of course not. Half this lot will be straight on the plane to Milan and Madrid, 5 star Hotel and all expenses paid.

and what about the views of Manchester United greatest ever manager Sir Alex Ferguson's comments. 

5 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

"The Europeansuper league is an excellent idea Steve, not sure about the new housing estates though?"

I've got images of him salivating at the prospect of turning nou camp into a shopping centre "Barca can stadium share with one of the Madrids and we can move Lidl into the North Stand" 

• Like 1

• Backroom

Sounds like for some of these clubs the proposal might be coming from a place of desperation rather than greed. Some pretty big debts built up with no way to repay them based on the current economic model. For others it will just be pure greed, however. 

The regular leagues have little choice but to impose some pretty harsh sanctions if they want any semblance of their authority to remain. Allowing the so-called 'big' clubs to walk all over them would completely destroy credibility and make it obvious the leagues have essentially been usurped by a collection of rich foreign owners. 

In my view these clubs simply can't be allowed to join the ESL and remain in their domestic competitions, as it makes a total mockery of the latter. It's one or the other. Entertain both and what still remains of the integrity of the domestic leagues is shot to pieces. 

• Like 3

I sincerely hope that this is a turning point in the sport.

Even if the notion this was a "negotiating stance" regarding CL amendments is true then it points towards a serious lack of integrity amongst the owners of those clubs. Does this not make them fail the "fit and proper" test? They are essentially moving to remove competition. It is not in the spirit of sport at all.

The 'football pyramid' is not at risk of collapse if the fans of the sport will it. The Supporters' trusts of each English club have come out in condemnation of the proposals. If they boycott then the clubs will listen. True, their places will be replaced with tourist fans, but the whole fun of the sport will be taken from them. A midweek re-run of Man Utd vs Real Madrid 3 times a year won't be fun for anyone, nor will watching the invitees getting trounced year in year out by the JP Morgan bank rolled 'super clubs'.

Thoroughly disheartened at the proposals but it cements what we have known for a long time: the game is dying and it is now more important to see share prices rise than enjoyment for fans. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The Culture, media and Sports minister Oliver Dowden will be making a statement in the House of Commons this afternoon. 

Useless minister makes vacuous statement. That’ll fix it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Have Rovers purposely positioned themselves as a training academy for Liverpool and City ?

European Super League Training Academy (North UK) - formerly Blackburn Rovers FC.

It would be north England.  As north UK is Scotland 

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Apart from the these 12 club owners or club presidents who else has endorse this European Super League? 

Our very own Richard Oakley by the looks of things....

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, den said:

Mourinho sacked.

Seems weird that they would sack him this close to the cup final even with their recent form. Distraction tactic or did Mourinho tell Levy that Spurs were a small club that don't belong near a "super league"?

Edited by RTM08

Old Harry Kane told the board it was either him or Jose. Over-rated club that gets friendly publicity because alot of sports writers are London based.  Everton and Newcastle have as much right as Spuds to be in the ESL. 

• Like 6

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Old Harry Kane told the board it was either him or Jose. Over-rated club that gets friendly publicity because alot of sports writers are London based.  Everton and Newcastle have as much right as Spuds to be in the ESL. 

At least Newcastle have won a European competition this century (albeit the Intertoto Cup).

50 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

It makes me smile if fans think they are going to have any say in this or try to stop it. The wealthy have made their decision and the plebs will have to go along with it 

You're absolutely right. The only way that this won't got ahead is if there is some kind of player / manager revolut and it needs to be the big name glamour players. 

I can see players like Jordan Henderson not agreeing with it and potentially speaking out against it but it needs your A-listers to not want to play in it. Imagine if it was shunned by the likes of Pep. You'd hope that enough of these players are not THAT far removed from what the game means and what the fans want. 

I think the ban on international tournament participation for the players is the one and only hope left to stop this. Even the threat of leaving the domestic competitions won't do enough. But if FIFA and UEFA fold on the international ban then all is lost. 

1 minute ago, Mr. E said:

I think the ban on international tournament participation for the players is the one and only hope left to stop this. Even the threat of leaving the domestic competitions won't do enough. But if FIFA and UEFA fold on the international ban then all is lost. 

So the World Cup - already diminished because of the Champions League - would take place without the world's best players

Fifa won't do it

1 hour ago, den said:

What this is about, is the big clubs taking total control of European football. They are taking the power from the bodies such as UEFA, the PL. Between them they are cementing their position of running the whole game. No one will be able to move them out. There’s nothing democratic about this. Those clubs will dictate everything and they will be unmoveable.

In order to put themselves in that position, they are prepared to destroy the foundation that football has been based on for 150 years. They are prepared to destroy the fundamental rule that if you win games, there is no limit to what you can achieve. That fundamental rule will only apply to those clubs who own and run the ESL.

It’s disgusting and only further confirms how far the game has moved from the fans to the billionaires.

I think you are right Den. I think one of the real irritants for the 'big six' is that they can't control the Premier League due to the democratic voting process. Had it not been for this they would have already been taking the lions share of broadcasting revenue and leaving the other clubs in their slipstream.

Greed has been prevalent since the inception of the Premier League but now it's gone to a different level. When I read that Pogba wants £500k a week I feel disgusted particularly as the world is going through a crisis.