BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Fútbol, Le Foot, Voetbal, ποδόσφαιρο

Don't normally do trivia but just found out who the first English club to beat Real Madrid away were. Have a go at the answer...and don't cheat!

It's Clitheroe or Accy or something similar. Seen it in a club house somewhere.

It's Clitheroe or Accy or something similar. Seen it in a club house somewhere.

After seeing who it was (and yes "something similar" would be accurate) it is rather disappointing Rovers have never played them. At least as far as I can recall but as mentioned a while back there's a good case for playing them (or another major international club) in pre season. There's still catering (possibly even free for ST holders) and increased corporate opportunities. I still wouldn't advocate what Bournemouth did and charge £60 though its certainly a bigger deal for them to play clubs like Real Madrid. Unlike Rovers who have played Barcelona (probably the biggest continental club Rovers have played and on 2 occasions) and all major English clubs numerous times throughout the clubs history.

After seeing who it was (and yes "something similar" would be accurate) it is rather disappointing Rovers have never played them. At least as far as I can recall but as mentioned a while back there's a good case for playing them (or another major international club) in pre season. There's still catering (possibly even free for ST holders) and increased corporate opportunities. I still wouldn't advocate what Bournemouth did and charge £60 though its certainly a bigger deal for them to play clubs like Real Madrid. Unlike Rovers who have played Barcelona (probably the biggest continental club Rovers have played and on 2 occasions) and all major English clubs numerous times throughout the clubs history.

I thought we did play them in a pre season game years ago (was it the same season as our 125 year anniversary?). I can remember going and sitting in the Darwen end for the first/last time so far, and think we won 2-1?

Edit:

Actually no, we won 3-2!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/blackburn_rovers/1487681.stm

Edited by schoey

I thought we did play them in a pre season game years ago (was it the same season as our 125 year anniversary?). I can remember going and sitting in the Darwen end for the first/last time so far, and think we won 2-1?

Edit:

Actually no, we won 3-2!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/blackburn_rovers/1487681.stm

Pre season after promotion. Without looking at the link I think the attendance just passed 20,000. Leslie got the winner and I think there was a penalty too probably scored by Dunn. It wasn't quite the Barcelona standard of recent years don't think likes of Rivaldo played any part either.

Might as well say it was Nelson who beat Real Madrid. They actually were a Football League club at one stage and several years after Darwen. I guess Fleetwood is the smallest by population in MANY years though its no secret how they got into the FL. Nelson. Gainsborough, Darwen etc level populations probably became far less frequent over the years and I'm not including clubs in various London boroughs. Nelson claim to have ambitions of reaching the conference (unlike Darwen it appears to be the original club though they took "time out" for a season or so not long back) but they might need an "investor" on Fleetwood level even to manage that! Checked wikipedia and Nelson apparently has a slightly bigger population than Fleetwood.

Edited by VinjayV4

One of the Truly Great footballers

https://youtu.be/-v6lMerCYCI?t=18s

As great as he was, and for all his skill and pace, it was three minutes into that clip before there was any end product. I just kept thinking of a fast Rochina who would have been hounded out of Ewood! He clearly went on to develop into a world beater but I expect for all the initial excitement he would have frustrated.

I also wonder now about the timing of the Messi penalty tribute. You have to to think that they players were aware of Cruyff's condition. Fair play.

As great as he was, and for all his skill and pace, it was three minutes into that clip before there was any end product. I just kept thinking of a fast Rochina who would have been hounded out of Ewood! He clearly went on to develop into a world beater but I expect for all the initial excitement he would have frustrated.

I also wonder now about the timing of the Messi penalty tribute. You have to to think that they players were aware of Cruyff's condition. Fair play.

Probably not the best compilation to pick. This is better.

https://youtu.be/rMPflZoIkio

He definitely knew where the goal was.

Edited by BlueMonday

I wonder if Jack sent out any feelers...I kinda ripped off that headline on my blog years later with "Ewood turns to Maradona."

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/6194224.ROVERS__Ewood_looks_to_Cruyff___Peter_White_reports/

Apparently they will be "halting" Holland's game (presumably tonight) in the 14th minute. Not sure how that works if someone happens to have rounded the keeper on 13:59 will they give him a few extra seconds to put it in? Only an exhibition I suppose it would be asinine to introduce that kind of thing in a "competitive" fixture.

Feyenoord did a tribute as well in the 14th minute.

Cruyff was obviously a man capable of holding grudges as when Ajax didn't extend his contract he reacted by joining Feyenoord and won a domestic double! Not sure if Ajax fans were angry with him (maybe moreso the club and if they were angry with him it obviously didn't last) and Feyenoord fans obviously accepted him. Albeit probably not a "warm welcome" initially.

Edited by VinjayV4

Can't say I'm that bothered about what happened 70 years ago. Its not like USA v Japan is considered a gigantic grudge fixture.

Don't care about the England team myself anyway though I'm surprised its taken all day for someone to mention it. I nearly did earlier.

Edited by VinjayV4
  • Like 1

BIT HARSH...injury goal

1 chalked off for offside for Germany, that was onside, so fair enough.

Lallana blasted a gilt edge chance well over the bar too, but little criticism of him by the commentry team.

Delle Alli continues to impress me.