BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Fútbol, Le Foot, Voetbal, ποδόσφαιρο

• 3 weeks later...

We already know most of this but it's interesting side-by-side.

https://www.facebook.com/828777003809568/videos/1357725770914686/

Treatment of English fans compared to Germans - and just look at the crowds! Compare and contrast the dying English fan scene where the match day experiencefor fans is sacrificed (butchered) presumably to make TV viewing preferable...

Took in the Northwich derby yesterday which finished Witton Albion 1 Northwich Victoria 1, attendance 605 which is more than double Witton's average this season. Couple of pints beforehand in the Social Club. Not a bad game with Witton well on top and then Vics scoring against the run of play in the second half. Witton equalised on ninety minutes to deservedly get something from the game. They were easily the better side.

The demise of Northwich Victoria is sad to see. Always one of the 'up there' non league outfits over the years it seemed they had a bit of money behind them a few years ago. They had a new stadium built which was very impressive only for their owner to be convicted of drug related offences and having to do time at Her Majesty's pleasure. I don't know the full story but it all fell apart. The new stadium and land was sold and a breakaway team called 1874 Northwich was formed and who are currently in the same league as AFC Darwen. Meanwhile, Northwich Victoria ground share with Witton Albion in the town whilst 1874 Northwich ground share at nearby Winsford. So, Northwich, a town of around 20k has two teams in the 8th tier of the English football pyramid and one in the ninth. Not bad at all.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

AFC Darwen were visiting Barnton FC today and with Barnton only being two minutes away, I decided to attend. Facilities pretty poor to be honest, although I think Barnton were only promoted to this level last season. The pitch is surrounded by a perimeter fence, no terracing at all. There is a tiny (and I mean tiny) covered area more or less on each side near the half way line, one seats around 50, the other is standing only. That's it.

Darwen were much the better side in the first half with most attacks coming via their tricky right winger. Barnton were on top for much of the second half and ran out winners 1-0. A draw would have been a fair result. The ref was lenient, too lenient in fact and, whilst he tended to let the play flow, there were two crunching fouls (one by each side) that should have resulted in yellow cards. All in all, a great advert for non league football, I enjoyed it thoroughly. A fiver to get in, a couple of quid for a programme, attendance approx 35.

• Like 1

AFC Darwen were visiting Barnton FC today and with Barnton only being two minutes away, I decided to attend. Facilities pretty poor to be honest, although I think Barnton were only promoted to this level last season. The pitch is surrounded by a perimeter fence, no terracing at all. There is a tiny (and I mean tiny) covered area more or less on each side near the half way line, one seats around 50, the other is standing only. That's it.

Darwen were much the better side in the first half with most attacks coming via their tricky right winger. Barnton were on top for much of the second half and ran out winners 1-0. A draw would have been a fair result. The ref was lenient, too lenient in fact and, whilst he tended to let the play flow, there were two crunching fouls (one by each side) that should have resulted in yellow cards. All in all, a great advert for non league football, I enjoyed it thoroughly. A fiver to get in, a couple of quid for a programme, attendance approx 35.

Bear with me, there's a link coming. After having a quick look through the lower league tables today, which I hardly ever do these days, I surprisingly saw Notts County 3rd from bottom of the 4th division, Last time I looked some time ago I vaguely remembered they were in and around the top. I checked out their form - and they've lost 10 in a row. This prompted me to look up the longest losing streak in the English football league....wait for it, link coming right up. The record of 18 losses in a row belongs to Darwen F.C. all the way back in the 1898-99 2nd division season. How the mighty have fallen - both Darwen F.C. and Ben Marshall's new club Notts County.

• Like 1

This prompted me to look up the longest losing streak in the English football league....wait for it, link coming right up. The record of 18 losses in a row belongs to Darwen F.C. all the way back in the 1898-99 2nd division season.

Yeah, I think it was Sunderland, a few seasons ago, that almost equalled/surpassed Darwen's record but, unfortunately, they still hold it.

And continues to do so. There's been plenty of Chinese transfers that have been better value than the likes of John Stones and Andy Carroll.

A lot of countries are resentful of how much Premier Leagues clubs earn just because there's a lot of people in China and Thailand who want to watch Liverpool and Man Utd.

I remember French journalists moaning that Payet, one of the best players in the league and playing for a team like Marseille, was moving to a nothing club in West Ham. Same as Ajax and Feyenoord's best players moving to teams like Newcastle.

• Like 1

Good night for a couple of our old boys, Kalinic scored as Fiorentina beat Juventus and N'Zonzi played in the Sevilla team that ended Madrid's unbeaten run.

Fair to say they've gone on to better things since leaving Venky's era Rovers......

Kalinic has been superb for Fiorentina, and Dnipro before that. He's a very composed finisher, with clever movement.

Remember watching him exasperated as hoofed balls flew over his head. We never got the best out of him. He was another moved on by JA and his cronies.

Agreed, an upgraded Jordan Rhodes if you will. He must have worked on his strength too, one would imagine, to be linked with the Prem for big bucks.

The pace of the game in Italy suits Kalinic as there is more emphasis on technical ability over speed/strength, he drops into little pockets of space really well, he always did, he was just totally unsuited to Premier League football and I'd say he still is.

N'Zonzi ran the show for Sevilla last night, it's interesting to listen to people like Sid Lowe and Phil Kitromidis (Spanish football experts) talk about N'Zonzi, they are just as surprised as many Rovers fans he's made such a step up as he certainly wasn't viewed as being capable of doing so when he was signed from Stoke.

World Military Cup is going on; I did not know too much about this. England won the first one in 1946.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Military_Cup

One is currently going on in Oman but there is little news on it, some. 16 teams.

http://www.dailynewsegypt.com/2017/01/20/611263/

http://www.highlandradio.com/2017/01/22/strabane-native-represents-ireland-in-first-military-world-cup-tie/

An interesting article in the Guardian about Sporting Kansas City striker Dom Dwyer;

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/23/dom-dwyer-usa-kansas-city-usa-football-team?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Fiver+2016&utm_term=209840&subid=6923483&CMP=EMCFTBEML853

Born and raised in England he went to the US at 18 to play at university. He's now married with a kid and is going for US citizenship. He's hoping for a USA call up once it's all sorted.

Good night for a couple of our old boys, Kalinic scored as Fiorentina beat Juventus and N'Zonzi played in the Sevilla team that ended Madrid's unbeaten run.

Fair to say they've gone on to better things since leaving Venky's era Rovers......

Used to be no one left us to be more successful right through to the Hughes era - just Duff I think. Bellamy, Bentley, Samba, Niall etc all went on to the same or lower level. Since then we seem to have let quite a few through our fingertips.

Saw Olsson at Swansea have a good game against Liverpool.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Probably should have started a new thread for the 'irony' but it'll have to do here.

Minnesota vs Atlanta currently playing in the snow complete with orange ball.

Not something you see much any more.

IMG_0499.JPG

Edited by Stuart

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/25/leroy-rosenior-leeds-united-fans-shouting-sieg-heil

Cracking read, if a bit stomach-churning. The garbage these players had to put up with is beyond belief. Who'd have thought Leeds and Millewall fans would be at the forefront :rolleyes: The bigotry still exists, it's just aimed at different people these days.

Tony Finnigan though, don't mess with that lad. He probably needed the machete again after scoring that 30 40 50 60 -yard screamer at the turf! 

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/25/leroy-rosenior-leeds-united-fans-shouting-sieg-heil

Cracking read, if a bit stomach-churning. The garbage these players had to put up with is beyond belief. Who'd have thought Leeds and Millewall fans would be at the forefront :rolleyes: The bigotry still exists, it's just aimed at different people these days.

Tony Finnigan though, don't mess with that lad. He probably needed the machete again after scoring that 30 40 50 60 -yard screamer at the turf! 

Leroy Resenior is one of the bigger "racial" fantasists, file under Sol Campbell.