BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Fútbol, Le Foot, Voetbal, ποδόσφαιρο

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's called respect for human life. Fair play to them 

Its one person not a bloody terrorist attack. Its an overreaction and its not disrespectful to say otherwise. I bet there's some who spent thousands travelling to Milan and while you have to take risks into account with long distance travel that's more down to usual risks like weather postponements, etc.

When Jack died Rovers trained as usual. Granted it was expected unlike Astori but what is calling off all those games going to achieve? Was Kurt Angle disrespecting his Father when he turned out for sporting activities later that day? I don't think so. Its about PR nothing else.

Edited by Vinjay17

Well isn't that the point of a forum? I don't come on to say nothing. Perhaps I should be more selective of issues to bring up but its not like I planned to comment on an entire round of fixtures being called off. That's happened though and its big news. I saw the story on twitter, commented there and then brought it up on here. That's my opinion its an overreaction and very typical of liberal influence. 

I can't remember discussing Astori before so there's nothing personal there. Had nothing against him but if I was involved with a Serie A club (besides Fiorentina and whoever it was they were playing) I would have said the same thing without any hesitation. I'll leave it there if it upsets you that much but others on twitter are saying the same and are more familiar with Astori than me. 

Edited by Vinjay17

3 minutes ago, Vinjay17 said:

Well isn't that the point of a forum? I don't come on to say nothing. Perhaps I should be more selective of issues to bring up but its not like I planned to comment on an entire round of fixtures being called off. That's happened though and its big news. I saw the story on twitter, commented there and then brought it up on here. That's my opinion its an overreaction and very typical of liberal influence. 

I can't remember discussing Astori before so there's nothing personal there. Had nothing against him but if I was involved with a Serie A club (besides Fiorentina and whoever it was they were playing) I would have said the same thing without any hesitation. I'll leave it there if it upsets you that much but others on twitter are saying the same and are more familiar with Astori than me. 

Doesnt upset me, just this and your nonsense about Dave Whelan suggests you are trying to get peoples backs up. Maybe im wrong.

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Doesnt upset me, just this and your nonsense about Dave Whelan suggests you are trying to get peoples backs up. Maybe im wrong.

That wasn't nonsense. It was the truth and yeah that was calculated to provoke a reaction given advance notice of Rovers playing Wigan. At least if you consider it "provocative" to point out what a disgrace FUP is. I was hoping to provoke a negative outpouring of remarks towards Whelan but clearly that was too ambitious despite simply pointing out facts. Should be used to that by now don't know why I bother trying.

Remember FUP is European wide so perfectly relevant to bring up on this thread.

In 1996 didn't they play a Euros game at Old Trafford day after IRA bomb? I guess today they would have sent everyone home (regardless of travel arrangements, costs, etc) and played it an empty stadium a week later. 

Edited by Vinjay17

23 hours ago, Vinjay17 said:

That wasn't nonsense. It was the truth and yeah that was calculated to provoke a reaction given advance notice of Rovers playing Wigan. At least if you consider it "provocative" to point out what a disgrace FUP is. I was hoping to provoke a negative outpouring of remarks towards Whelan but clearly that was too ambitious despite simply pointing out facts. Should be used to that by now don't know why I bother trying.

Remember FUP is European wide so perfectly relevant to bring up on this thread.

In 1996 didn't they play a Euros game at Old Trafford day after IRA bomb? I guess today they would have sent everyone home (regardless of travel arrangements, costs, etc) and played it an empty stadium a week later. 

From memory England actually played Scotland at Wembley on the day the Manchester IRA bomb went off in 1996. The thing is, nobody was killed that day.

At least one person was badly injured (think a few had minor injuries) but I'm talking more about security measures. If that happened today there's no way that game at Wembley would have gone ahead. I suppose there are differences now. Say what you like about the IRA they were not medieval lunatics. Nor were they particularly violent by 1996 compared to earlier bombings with no advance warning. They managed to evacuate the city centre because of a call beforehand. Irony is some people even think they did Manchester city centre a favor tracing a revival to the incident but maybe that's going overboard.

As I've said nothing against Astori but where do people draw the line? Fans die young and nobody calls anything off for them. Astori's one guy and just because he's a footballer its an over the top reaction to me. Seriously what's disrespectful its just so the Italian football authorities can score a PR win. What if he wasn't an Italian international would they still have called every game off? I wouldn't really use the term "killed" and nobody called games off when Gary Speed committed suicide did they? I remember Hughes was doing punditry at a televised game about 2 days later might have been Arsenal v Man City. I don't think that was disrespectful though Hughes still came across as petty about City firing him when it paled in perspective on a personal level. Even as a non cynical 10 year old I thought the whole stuff with Diana Windsor was over the top and so did others. A fixture between Liverpool and Newcastle was even postponed because of that and she wasn't even a football person. 

I think its unfair on fans, etc who travelled including one Rovers fan on twitter (not Kamy who for the record supported the decision to call games off) who was abused just for asking when (the Milan v Inter game) would be rescheduled. Is it really selfish to say its an inconvenience for them and an overreaction? I'm sure some of Astori's closest teammates in Italian squad may not have felt like playing (and obviously Fiorentina) but why should it effect the majority? What are people supposed to do sit and stare at the wall for hours?

Edited by Vinjay17

Should point out it seems routine. Or at least as routine as it can be for someone his age (same as mine actually) but I imagine autopsies, etc might be more extensive than a 90 year old would have. Depends on how obvious the cause is too being in an accident for instance would have different investigating prosecution procedures to a suspected heart attack. Not that heart attacks can't be triggered by nefarious means but this outlines Italian legal procedures noting its likely nobody is accountable.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/mar/05/davide-astori-death-prosecutor-investigates-manslaughter-possibility

Edited by Vinjay17

While the racism probably shouldn't be laughed at (though political correctness goes way too far with stuff like editing "only fools and horses" BBC repeats because of an Asian shop joke) its pretty funny that someone tagged this as "citation needed". From Gimhae FC's (South Korea) Wikipedia page. I had a bet on their game and was trying to find out via their site why it hadn't started at the (UK) time listed.

"The Gimhae Round Eyes" are the club's hooligan firm consisting of entirely foreign members. The name "round eyes" stems from the spherical appearance of the group's eyes, which they use to see rival fans during skirmishes."

Edited by Vinjay17

I don't know which game it was from (it was from a video called "Fast Football" years back and there was a clip montage of dives, etc) but one player defending a corner pretended to be elbowed in the face. Then there was that keeper who pretended he had been hit by a firework or something and I don't mean the one on "Dream Team". I guess they aren't dives in the more "traditional" sense but anyhow...

Not heard much since but it looks like the PAOK owner will be banned from stadiums for 5 years and hit with a heavy fine. While I can't help liking his crazy act I'm surprised either FIFA or UEFA haven't stepped in with a lifetime ban. Apparently he's also been asked to testify wouldn't want to be his lawyer! Then again some will take a cheque to defend anyone.

Edited by Vinjay17

Speaking of that keeper Rojas he had a liver transplant 3 years ago in a Brazilian hospital of all places. For those unfamiliar with his plot to get Brazil kicked out of Italia 90 for Chile's gain...

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2017/04/14/the-sensational-plot-of-roberto-condor-rojas-to-eliminate-brazil-from-world-cup-qualification/

From that site I also noticed a link to this story. Wonder if he gave Souness a call after that Ali Dia incident lol? Titled the "most audacious conman" so initially I thought it was an article about Steve Kean or Jason Lowe until catching the rest of the title. Actually this guy was pretty likable and harmless compared to some of the conmen who make a living from football.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2015/05/30/carlos-henrique-raposo-footballs-most-audacious-con-man/

Edited by Vinjay17

See that prat Owen got booed even after scoring in a charity game for Liverpool "Legends" today. :D. Don't know why the fans tolerate his presence or "ambassador" position in first place. Maybe it was intended as a joke but for some reason Phil Babb played. That incident with the goalpost was legendary though! Oldest player in Liverpool's squad was Aldridge so nobody 60 or over. Carragher played and didn't spit on anyone but then again highly unlikely any United fans were present. -_-

Edited by Vinjay17

• 5 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43868703

Just what the game needs. More pointless tournaments. More money grasping. A bigger chasm between the elite and the rest. More boredom in an already saturated market. More attending fans disenchanted. It's very possible that league football in the future will be played in sparsely populated stadiums at silly o'clock for the benefit of armchair watchers thousands of miles away. By the mid point of the century the world cup will be a 64 team tournament. The current 32 team tournament, soon to be 48 which by the way doesn't divide down without having eight 3rd place losers qualifying rendering the group stage pointless (which is what made the last Euros the dullest tournament ever), is already bloated with dull games between nations that wouldn't grace a local park. An elite tournament my arse. Is it any wonder amateur attendances are on the rise as the professional game loses its way?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I see that Barcelona hijacked Malcom from under Roma's noses. I also believe that this is the same Barcelona who cried, moaned, and cried again last summer when PSG poached Neymar. Hypocrites.

In MLS news Bradley Wright-Phillips has become the fastest player to 100 goals. He scored them in only 159 games.