BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Fútbol, Le Foot, Voetbal, ποδόσφαιρο

Had a think about this. It only really makes sense if the 12 are willing to get thrown out of their leagues and start the ESL as a regular league competition. That would explain why they are looking for 20 clubs...

Plan A = PL, La Liga, Serie A accept the new format and they play ESL as a group/knockout midweek

Plan B = PL, La Liga, Serie A reject the format and they play ESL as a full league tournament  on weekends.

I really can't see what options the PL, La Liga, Serie A and UEFA have apart from to seriously sanction all the clubs.

The short term financial costs are worth it to "stamp on it" like Neville said. Any sort of accomodation undermines the principal of competition that runs through European football. Everton, Villa, Newcastle, Leicester, Leeds etc are not going to accept being locked out of Europe forever.

It's going to be scorched earth.

• Like 1

As always, its about money.  The "big clubs" which already hold a significant advantage over most clubs in the leagues, simply want to protect themselves more and f**k the rest.

None of the current footballing bodies will actually be able to carry out any of the threats they have suggested, they know they can't have these competitions without these players/clubs. 

It'll probably end up being a "compromise" of a total UCL reform, giving more money & protection to these parasites.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Had a think about this. It only really makes sense if the 12 are willing to get thrown out of their leagues and start the ESL as a regular league competition. That would explain why they are looking for 20 clubs...

Plan A = PL, La Liga, Serie A accept the new format and they play ESL as a group/knockout midweek

Plan B = PL, La Liga, Serie A reject the format and they play ESL as a full league tournament  on weekends.

That's an interesting point.

The coup clubs have the financial sway because without them, the domestic elite TV/digital money will, I guess, slump and the Prem will need a bailout and massive refinancing. I think - perhaps, the Champ too. 

I wonder how much the coup clubs need their domestic leagues. I suppose, it would be a huge risk to sever ties, so, perhaps, the authorities do have some leverage.

Perhaps, Europe's second tier will feel the need to set up a European Championship...?

I hope, globally, fans oppose this. An international campaign is needed to stop it and reform football. It has become grotesquely unequal and unaccountable for years in the UK.

Edited by riverholmes

8 hours ago, Richard Oakley said:

This is the corner they have backed our clubs into. I didn't believe they were deluded enough to do that. Signing up to a mid-week competition is one thing, but actually leaving the Premier League, FA and struggling to register players that will likely take legal action to enforce is another. 

So a statement has been made and the founding members of the Super League named. The die is cast. No bottling. Gary Neville wrong, as usual.

These 6 clubs are stupid, deluded and it's about greed again with them. We all know who is behind this. 

Gary Neville is right with everything hes said. 

Cant believe you are endorsing this Euro Super League idea and ignoring what PSG and Bayern are saying. 

Plus who is this Euro Super League for cos its ain't for the fans or the players. It's all the greedy club owners/presidents and their bank accounts. 

UEFA wont back down and rightly so. 

6 hours ago, riverholmes said:

I'm really surprised that the clubs are pushing this so far, knowing their fans will oppose it. Either, they are desperate or it is brinkmanship negotiating tactics to get what they want from the authorities, under the current system. 

Does anyone know if there is any kind of threat over the current TV/digital deals and their value? 

I don't know much about it but there's always been rumblings and now there are more markets, has this changed things? Or has the pandemic's effect on finances hastened this 'coup'.

Edit; Then, as Plc's, some will be under a legal obligation to maximise profit, regardless of all else.

None of the 6 English Clubs are PLC tho but all private owned now. Real Madrid and Barcelona arent PLC's. 

8 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I really can't see what options the PL, La Liga, Serie A and UEFA have apart from to seriously sanction all the clubs.

The short term financial costs are worth it to "stamp on it" like Neville said. Any sort of accomodation undermines the principal of competition that runs through European football. Everton, Villa, Newcastle, Leicester, Leeds etc are not going to accept being locked out of Europe forever.

It's going to be scorched earth.

They will sanction the clubs and ban players from World Cups and playing for their country. Plus no official body has sanction this league to happen at all. So can't happen. 

I read that prospective EPL members would have to resign from the PL so it might be a case of who blinks first if this goes ahead. 

The sneaky,  underhanded way this has been done makes me think Waggott could get a job with one of them clubs 😂.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

They will sanction the clubs and ban players from World Cups and playing for their country. Plus no official body has sanction this league to happen at all. So can't happen. 

That’s what UEFA and the associations may threaten to do, I presume it will be for the courts to decide if they can actually prevent it, due to workers rights, prevention of professionals plying their trade etc.

Edited by Mattyblue

7 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

I hope, globally, fans oppose this. An international campaign is needed

From what I've seen across social media, I can't see much if any support for this but I don't think it'll be down to the fans. I think everyone in football including players and managers need to speak out against this. 

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I really hope they do but I don't think they will. 

Super League indeed

Arsenal - no European Cup and no league title in 16 years. Now a mid table side

Chelsea - minimal success prior to 2005

Man City - minimal success prior to 2011, no European cup

Liverpool- 1 league title in 31 years

Spurs - no league title in over 60 years, no European cup

Man Utd - no league title in 8 years 

At Madrid - 1 league title in about 15 years and no European cup

AC Milan - 1 league title in about 15 years

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

That’s what UEFA and the associations may threaten to do, I presume it will be for the courts to decide if they can actually prevent it, due to workers rights, prevention of professionals plying their trade etc.

Has any of club owners or presidents consult their managers, players or the fans? And what they want? 

You have already seen Sir Alex Ferguson unhappiness with UTD decision 

6 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Super League indeed

Arsenal - no European Cup and no league title in 16 years. Now a mid table side

Liverpool- 1 league title in 31 years

Spurs - no league title in over 60 years, no European cup

Man Utd - no league title in 8 years 

At Madrid - 1 league title in about 15 years and no European cup

AC Milan - 1 league title in about 15 years

You have answered your question - these clubs are worried about being squeezed out despite all their advantages. 

• Like 3

Got to laugh at the faux outrage from the ex players, pundits and journalists. Presumably they will boycott any coverage of this competition and refuse work for it.

Of course not. Half this lot will be straight on the plane to Milan and Madrid, 5 star Hotel and all expenses paid.

• Like 5

The new format for the CL was due to be announced this week so it seems this move is intended to influence that. The new CL format was agreed by UEFA to see off the threat of a Super league. Obviously the big European Clubs didn't get what they wanted. But without a governing body supporting it I'm not sure how a SL has any legitimacy. They probably don't care about that but they need sponsors and so if it's not recognised as a legitimate league/organisation they might struggle.

Juve, RM, Barca, IM etc are financially fooked anyway. This seems to be their last throw of the dice.

Hopefully UEFA don't cave in and that the threats to ban the clubs from all other legitimate competitions are real.

If the players at the breakaway clubs haven't been consulted this could get very tricky legally. 

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Got to laugh at the faux outrage from the ex players, pundits and journalists. Presumably they will boycott any coverage of this competition and refuse work for it.

Of course not. Half this lot will be straight on the plane to Milan and Madrid, 5 star Hotel and all expenses paid.

Indeed, I imagine Sky execs will soon be asking their pundits to row back from any further Neville-esque broadsides... there’s rights to bid for.

Just now, OldEwoodBlue said:

PSG would be out on a limb domestically as sole French club.

Don't be surprised if they soon change their mind with s more softly wait and see the reaction approach.

They were all set to joining apparently but changed their mind. Probably the money wasn't right. They'll be off as soon as it is. 

On the plus side - let's strip the 6 of them of all league titles/places since the inception of the Premier League.

Rovers are now newly crowned Premier League Champions for the 93/94 and 05/06 season and finished runners up in 97/98 and 02/03.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Have Rovers purposely positioned themselves as a training academy for Liverpool and City ?

European Super League Training Academy (North UK) - formerly Blackburn Rovers FC.

Mowbray's wet dream.

7 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

From what I've seen across social media, I can't see much if any support for this

Yep, thankfully 99% of comments I've seen are dead against it, rightly so too of course.

The only occasional comment I've seen from people in favour ("Why wouldn't you want to watch the best players and teams face each other all the time?" 🙄) have unsurprisingly come from African or American 'fans' of one of the 'big 6' or glory-hunting teenagers who get all their football knowledge from Fifa 21. None of them of course have ever set foot in a football stadium. 

Oh and Spurs getting involved in this. Spurs! It doesn't feel that long ago I was hoping Rovers would finish above teams like Spurs (and we'd be expected to finish above City too in fact). Madness.

• Like 1

The Super League has now sent a letter to the presidents of FIFA & UEFA issuing notice of legal proceedings in European courts designed to block any sanctions the two governing bodies may try to enforce to over the formation of the ESL...

22 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I suppose the one positive is that if all the best players in the world are banned from the World Cup England might win it. 😉

I think if Fifa actually go through with this, there would be a player revolt. Harry Kane and co will not want to miss a world cup or Euros. I cant see Rashford after campaigning for free kids meals, being happy to play in a closed league for the enjoyment of foreign billionaires. 

Whilst wages are astronomical, most players came from working class background and I still think (hope) they have the conscience to know this is very wrong. 

• Like 1

Just now, benhben said:

I think if Fifa actually go through with this, there would be a player revolt. Harry Kane and co will not want to miss a world cup or Euros. I cant see Rashford after campaigning for free kids meals, being happy to play in a closed league for the enjoyment of foreign billionaires. 

Whilst wages are astronomical, most players came from working class background and I still think (hope) they have the conscience to know this is very wrong. 

Exactly, a legal minefield for the clubs that have agreed to this. Kane etc might go to court to get their contracts terminated or they might take FIFA to court if they are banned from internationals. 

This appears to be a desperate attempt by the '12' to blackmail UEFA into giving in to their demands around the CL. Thing is it looks to have massively backfired. They can't go back without losing face/power. 

I think it is embarrassing for the clubs involved.

If I was in charge of the football authorities I would elect now to take a firm stance against them. Expulsion from international tournaments and expulsion from competitive leagues should they elect to play for these clubs. If they want to make a Super League that is exempt from performance based rewards (ie no relegation) then let them do it and allow them to bathe in their own superiority.

If players want to play in such a competition then they clearly do not have the integrity required to be a professional athlete.

I would be even tougher and then say that if you do decide to go work for a club in the Super League you cannot then come back and work in the field of competitive of football. That would put a lot of managers off, who know their time in the big clubs is limited, and see a talent drain from the so-called "super clubs".

Don't let it go un-noticed that some of these super clubs may not even qualify for the Champions League even in its current "places for the boys" format. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I read that prospective EPL members would have to resign from the PL so it might be a case of who blinks first if this goes ahead. 

The sneaky,  underhanded way this has been done makes me think Waggott could get a job with one of them clubs 😂.

"The Europeansuper league is an excellent idea Steve, not sure about the new housing estates though?"