BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Fútbol, Le Foot, Voetbal, ποδόσφαιρο

Expulsion from Premier League, Serie A and La Liga is the solution. 

If it becomes a club v country row then the clubs will win. Players aren't going to turn down millions a year at their clubs to be able to play half a dozen tournament fixtures every 2 years. 

See how they get on with no domestic league and no local support on a weekend. That will break it. 

Fifa have to get behind the international ban. This is an attempt to ruin the competition of football. If Fifa doesn't stand in to protect competitive integrity then what is it for?

I don't think clubs will win vs international teams. If any footballer out there dreams more of playing for the Super League club than winning a World Cup for England then what does that tell you about them as a person?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I don't think clubs will win vs international teams. If any footballer out there dreams more of playing for the Super League club than winning a World Cup for England then what does that tell you about them as a person?

That football is just a job for them and they’d rather make £10-20million+ a season?

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

That football is just a job for them and they’d rather make £10-20million+ a season?

Than represent your country in a World Cup? Seems alien to me but then again I don't have the opportunity to make 10-20m a season.

If Fifa put in place a ban then all elite players across all international teams will face the same consequences. It will be a level playing field. Quite frankly I wouldn't want them playing for England even if it impacted our ability to win.

Likewise, by using this opportunity to squash the mega wages and bring it back to a degree of reality, we won't see them all up in arms either. They have tried to force our hand so now we should force theirs. They can have the opportunity to play in the football league again, enjoy the immense privilege of representing their country at a World Cup and do so for a fair wages across the board. If you don't then enjoy your moment in the sunshine in your Super League. 

What is with the timing of spurs sacking Jose. I totally get the view that you might not want him to manage your club but if you wanted someone in charge for a one off cup final surely he'd be well up there. I know that he's not what he was but I still think he's capable of pulling off a decent result every now and then. Now they might get a manager or a care taker who can play the nice football they want which will get torn apart by City. 

They've literally thrown away their best chance of getting a trophy in ages. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RoverDom said:

From what I've seen across social media, I can't see much if any support for this but I don't think it'll be down to the fans. I think everyone in football including players and managers need to speak out against this. 

I really hope they do but I don't think they will. 

Ironically, British football needs the people of the rest of the world to help them stop it. If supporters' clubs in China, Australia, the US and so on, joined a boycott of the any new league, that would make the protagonists think. After all, isn't it the streaming/TV deals that is the biggest commercial revenue potential of this idea?

Edited by riverholmes

The International ban makes me think of Rugby Union and how England players can only be picked if they played in England e.g. Wilkinson / Armitage at Toulon were not eligible. I'm not sure if this is still the case mind you. This changes country to country though and is implemented by that nations federation (in order to keep their league strong).

Hopefully something similar comes into play, if not from Fifa, then independently from the FA (fat chance on the latter)

2 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

Ironically, British football needs the people of the rest of the world to help them stop it. If supporters' clubs in China, Australia, the US and so on, joined a boycott of the any new league, that would make the protagonists think. After all, isn't it the streaming/TV deals that is the biggest commercial revenue potential of this idea?

The commercial power of the domestic fan base shouldn't be under-estimated.

I suspect the streaming will form part of a Super League based channel, where the user would pay a direct fee to the clubs as opposed as through Sky or BT etc. That probably helps the clubs out because they know they will receive money either way. What domestic fans can do though is boycott attendance. No doubt they will be replaced by tourist fans but I would imagine that paying £40 quid a ticket to see the 15th year running of Real vs Tottenham won't be exciting.

The power has always been with the fans. If we simply elect not to watch this travesty of a tournament then the only viewership they will have is from an international audience, some of which will come from countries that do not have the spending power domestic based fans have. 

3 minutes ago, den said:

Balaji: We should go for it madam, you can not get relegated 

I imagine if the $uper League goes ahead the FA and Football League will roll over and have their belly tickled (Man Utd - FA Cup, remember)   Expect B teams from the top 5 English teams and Tottenham to compete in the football league

3 minutes ago, den said:

Don't hold your breath den

They are probably working out how they can use this to recommence with the sale of the training ground.

"Following the announcement of the Super League the Club wishes to reiterate our commitment to the Financial Fair Play. The obvious consequences of such a decision has meant that it is within our commercial interests to reduce overheads and we believe the use of two separate facilities is an unnecessary use of already limited fund...blah blah blah"

28 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Fifa have to get behind the international ban. This is an attempt to ruin the competition of football. If Fifa doesn't stand in to protect competitive integrity then what is it for?

Tosh, as you would say, and so naive

Clubs pay the players' wages and most footballers are interested in one thing only....money. International football is a distraction to most of them 

Why are fans so up in arms about the ESL? It's only an extension of the Champions League - which already concentrated power and wealth with a few clubs and made football more of an elite game

Edited by jim mk2

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Tosh, as you would say, and so naive

Clubs pay the players' wages and most footballers are interested in one thing only....money. International football is a distraction to most of them 

Ever the well mannered gentleman. You must be such a delight to be around.

I would let them footballers go. Plenty of others to take their place. If this is a Fifa decision it affects every country in the same way. If you want to play in this competition do not expect to represent your country at a World Cup. It will show them for what they are.

If the $uper League does take the money out of the Prem / FL then so be it. As I say, there'll still be plenty of others lining up to play, and there will be plenty of fans ready to watch (in some cases even start watching again after falling out of love with the sport) because the alternative is they get a real job in the real world. 

24 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

What is with the timing of spurs sacking Jose. I totally get the view that you might not want him to manage your club but if you wanted someone in charge for a one off cup final surely he'd be well up there. I know that he's not what he was but I still think he's capable of pulling off a decent result every now and then. Now they might get a manager or a care taker who can play the nice football they want which will get torn apart by City. 

They've literally thrown away their best chance of getting a trophy in ages. 

I agree, they've just handed the Carabao Cup to City. I can't help but feel the timing of it is a diversion tactic to take some of the focus away from them signing up to the ESL. Not so long ago the talk was that it was too expensive for Spurs to sack Mourinho. It wouldn't surprise me if they have already received some sort of payment for signing up to the ESL. When you consider what they stand to make for taking part in it the £30m or whatever it takes to sack Mourinho suddenly doesn't bother them.

1 minute ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Ever the well mannered gentleman. You must be such a delight to be around.

Your words, not mine

Fifa won't get involved IMO. They want the world's best players at the World Cup - not players from Burnley and Fulham

1 hour ago, RoverDom said:

You're absolutely right. The only way that this won't got ahead is if there is some kind of player / manager revolut and it needs to be the big name glamour players. 

I can see players like Jordan Henderson not agreeing with it and potentially speaking out against it but it needs your A-listers to not want to play in it. Imagine if it was shunned by the likes of Pep. You'd hope that enough of these players are not THAT far removed from what the game means and what the fans want. 

I reckon the only way this won’t go ahead is if the major domestic leagues and UEFA negotiate with the big clubs to revamp club football. To me it all seems like a power move to force through changes to the CL format - guaranteed places for the elite clubs for starters. In the 80s the big English clubs threatened a breakaway league which led to them getting a better financial deal and eventually the PL. It worked then and they’re IMO trying the same again now. Additionally there’s talk in some of the statements about doing this for the global fan base - I think that we’ll see select domestic games played in global locations similar to what American football does occasionally. 

32 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

Sadly I don’t think there’s any chance of this happening. Fans in Singapore have no interest in clubs like Blackburn Rovers or even the bottom half prem teams. I doubt that most of them are even aware that clubs outside the “big 6” exist (apart from the wonderful Hong Kong Rovers supporters club). They want to see Utd vs Real Madrid every week and they’re not likely to protest this move. There could even be places for super clubs to be founded in the Far East or Australia etc and gain entry to the league eventually. The premier league is a global brand now and this is the next logical step for them. It stinks but it’s the way the game has been going for a long time. I hope the motion is defeated but even if it is we’ll be in this position again and again. 

Edited by The Hypnotic

I wonder if the England based clubs joining the ESL are using Arsenal letter-headed paper for their applications like they did when forming the Premier League or whatever it was called at the start.

Same culprits so probably have it in stock.

Lesson 1: Never sell a Club to Septics.

Lesson 2: Globalisation is Colonisation.

Football has always been about money and greed.

The formation of the Premier League in early 1990s was about greed

The Champions League, vastly inferior to the old European Cup, was about greed

The ESL is no different