BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Fútbol, Le Foot, Voetbal, ποδόσφαιρο

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, arbitro said:

For anybody in need of a football fix on Bank Holiday Monday Darwen are playing the Isle of Man in the First Division Cup quarter final. The game is at the Anchor with a 13.45 kick off.

I'll probably be at Chorley v Gateshead on Monday, Chorley trying to secure a playoff place and Gateshead with a chance of  Automatic promotion depending on Saturdays results

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The biggest football transfer or deal of the summer, in terms of legacy, ahead of even Erling Haaland, might involve Vivianne Miedema of Arsenal women, who is out of contract and mulling over whether to stay on or go somewhere where she can win major honours on a regular basis. She may well go on to be one of the greatest women's football strikers, if she isn't already. I'd be interested to know what others think.

A difficulty I wonder about in the women's game is the inequality within the women's professional game. The world record transfer is, apparently, around £250k, paid to Wolfsburg by Chelsea for Pernille Harder, in 2020 -  clearly trailing a great way behind the grotesque excess of the men's professional top leagues. However, is the intense acceleration of those women's teams with Premier League men's team business infrastructure behind them, going to leave the rest behind? And if so, it will surely be problematic for the development of the game if it is too easy for the top clubs and international nations? 

My knowledge of the women's pro game is very limited, I must say, so these are only tentative musings. I suppose, it might be that it is not much different from the men's game with the money of the Premier League disappearing into outer space from the perspective of the rest. Albeit, there was, I suppose, a longer development history which enabled leagues and clubs to grow in, perhaps, a more equal way, before the huge money flooded in?

Edited by riverholmes

• Backroom
On 03/05/2022 at 20:06, jim mk2 said:

Anyone looking for a Spanish team to follow?

Here's Deportivo Alaves celebrating scoring in their recent 2-1 win over Villarreal in La Liga

al.jpg

Any Rover should be supporting Atletico Bilbao

• Like 1

I remember going to a rovers away game at Ipswich during the bowyer era. I was on my own so went into a pub marked home fans only. It was an Irish bar and had all the IRA song’s playing. There were loads of bikers, hells angel looking types, beards, leather you got the drift . They were Germans and really nice people. I got chatting and they had struck up some sort of friendship where Ipswich went to Their Germans game and they came to watch Ipswich ( I forget the team) after a game where Ipswich played their club in Europe . Every year since they met in Europe Ipswich traveled to Germany and vice Versa to support their teams. 

wouldn’t it be great if rovers fans could organise a friendly with Bilbao and strike up something similar. I often thought about the links we have with the Spanish club and do intend to go and watch them at some point (admittedly I thought it was Madrid not Bilbao) 

anyway just musing . What do others think ?

• Like 2

• Backroom
3 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I remember going to a rovers away game at Ipswich during the bowyer era. I was on my own so went into a pub marked home fans only. It was an Irish bar and had all the IRA song’s playing. There were loads of bikers, hells angel looking types, beards, leather you got the drift . They were Germans and really nice people. I got chatting and they had struck up some sort of friendship where Ipswich went to Their Germans game and they came to watch Ipswich ( I forget the team) after a game where Ipswich played their club in Europe . Every year since they met in Europe Ipswich traveled to Germany and vice Versa to support their teams. 

wouldn’t it be great if rovers fans could organise a friendly with Bilbao and strike up something similar. I often thought about the links we have with the Spanish club and do intend to go and watch them at some point (admittedly I thought it was Madrid not Bilbao) 

anyway just musing . What do others think ?

Cough Rovers Trust Marketing Prospectus Cough 😉

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Absolutely. They do things like that much better abroad. Must be fewer ‘get behind the lads ffs!’ brigades. I know it was a meaningless game but here the vast majority would still be in the stadium like robots. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, roverandout said:

Mbappe staying at psg. 150 million signing on fee. He clearly doesn't want to test himself at a higher level regularly.  He's slightly overhyped for me.  Great pace but technically not at the elite level

Really?! He assists nearly as many as he scores. He’s the definition of current elite level if you ask me and will go onto be recognised as the best player in the world once a couple of the old guard wind down.

The only thing that will stop him from being one of the real greats is if he gets a massive injury in the next few years which takes away his explosive pace.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Really?! He assists nearly as many as he scores. He’s the definition of current elite level if you ask me and will go onto be recognised as the best player in the world once a couple of the old guard wind down.

The only thing that will stop him from being one of the real greats is if he gets a massive injury in the next few years which takes away his explosive pace.

I agree he's a good finisher and has great pace but technically he's pretty mediocre.  Compared to the great r9 who had great technical ability pace power finishing, he's not even close. There's not a great deal of elite players around right now that are coming through or in their prime, haaland that's about it so him becoming the best isn't going to be a huge challenge.  Maybe foden will become an elite player too

Mbappe is an elite player in my opinion. What he has done by staying on at Psg though is he's not truly testing himself. Otherwise it will remain merely in peoples opinions as he's not truly putting himself to the test. Why let money talk when you're making that much anyway. He could have gone anywhere and his legacy would be his to create. Instead he'll keep tearing up the French leagues whilst sitting in his comfort zone.

• Like 2