BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Fútbol, Le Foot, Voetbal, ποδόσφαιρο

• 3 months later...

I'll put this here as World Cup 2022 is done.

There is a soap opera occurring over here regarding World Cup coach Gregg Berhalter.

He is under investigation by the US federation for kicking his girlfriend in 1991.

It turns out that his ex-team mate Claudio Reyna (formerly of Man City) grassed him up after it became public knowledge that Berhalter almost sent his son (Gio - plays for Dortmund) home from Qatar for being lazy and uncooperative.

ESPN: Reyna told authorities about Berhalter

What adds to the intrigue is that the girlfriend was, and still is, Berhalter's wife. Reyna's wife and Berhalter's wife played on the same university football team. Reyna and Berhalter have been mates for decades. 

• Moderation Lead

I read about this before, I had no idea that the Reyna family had grassed him up or the Gio Reyna stuff, madness!

Whilst he is the boss, I don’t think you can be telling someone they will have a ‘limited role’ without really giving them the chance to play if someone else is doing badly. He starts for Dortmund and can’t get in the USMNT 😶.

23 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I'll put this here as World Cup 2022 is done.

There is a soap opera occurring over here regarding World Cup coach Gregg Berhalter.

He is under investigation by the US federation for kicking his girlfriend in 1991.

It turns out that his ex-team mate Claudio Reyna (formerly of Man City) grassed him up after it became public knowledge that Berhalter almost sent his son (Gio - plays for Dortmund) home from Qatar for being lazy and uncooperative.

ESPN: Reyna told authorities about Berhalter

What adds to the intrigue is that the girlfriend was, and still is, Berhalter's wife. Reyna's wife and Berhalter's wife played on the same university football team. Reyna and Berhalter have been mates for decades. 

Yes I read this, and it all seems rather crazy. 

The more I read on it the more it seems the senior Reynas are a lot of trouble. Domestic violence is totally wrong and I deplore it. This two issues however seem to me to be separate. 

I mean their son was badly behaved at the tournament. His fault he didn't get in the team and maybe they should have looked closer to home as to the issue he wasn't in the team. Revealing this now is just an act of spite rather than any moral justification for it. And it's probably - given the severity of the issue - cost the coach his career. It's unpleasant and vindictive. 

Mind you Reyna jr won't have an easy time either. It's drawn more attention both to his poor attitude and the baggage that comes with his interfering parents. 

What a circus. 

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

Yes I read this, and it all seems rather crazy. 

The more I read on it the more it seems the senior Reynas are a lot of trouble. Domestic violence is totally wrong and I deplore it. This two issues however seem to me to be separate. 

I mean their son was badly behaved at the tournament. His fault he didn't get in the team and maybe they should have looked closer to home as to the issue he wasn't in the team. Revealing this now is just an act of spite rather than any moral justification for it. And it's probably - given the severity of the issue - cost the coach his career. It's unpleasant and vindictive. 

Mind you Reyna jr won't have an easy time either. It's drawn more attention both to his poor attitude and the baggage that comes with his interfering parents. 

What a circus. 

It really is. People at the top end of the pyramid acting like spoiled brats is not a good look. It happens at youth level regularly, but the national team. Terrible.

US Soccer needs to get hold of it and sort it out. 

Berhalter's contract was up at the end of 2022, it's not been renewed yet. If he doesn't get one this will be the reason cited which is not fair. If they do get rid it should be because he has taken the team as far as he can. Berhalter took over a mess and managed to get the US to Qatar but he hasn't pulled up any trees in doing so. There were some very underwhelming performances over the last 3 years and with a decent set of young players available plus the US hosting in 2026 there is strong sentiment over here that the US needs to go for broke and get a big name.

He won't be in charge for their next set of friendlies his assistant Anthony Hudson will be. Older posters will remember his dad; the mercurial Alan Hudson - ex-Stoke and Chelsea.

44 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Gianluca Vialli has died. 58. Terrific player. 

On his day he was up there with the best and he was a nice man too. I had some dealings with him when he the Chelsea manager and he was always prepared to listen and accept (not always agree) the match officials decisions.

RIP.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, arbitro said:

On his day he was up there with the best and he was a nice man too. I had some dealings with him when he the Chelsea manager and he was always prepared to listen and accept (not always agree) the match officials decisions.

RIP.

He was the type of player that transcended club rivalries. I have never heard anyone say a bad word about him, regardless of which club they support.

He was also younger than us Tony, which is quite a thought too.

• Like 2

Gareth Bale has just announced his retirement from football (both club and International) on Instagram. 

Top player in his day who probably doesn't get the credit he deserves. 

His motivation and physical abilities both seemed to wane over the last couple of years  

• Like 2

I think Bale went to war with Madrid and ultimately that meant he had to dig deep and 'sacrifice' his playing time

In the end he took them for every penny he was owed and barely lifted a finger for it. There's not a lot of clubs I'm happy to see that happen to but Madrid is one

On his day an exhilarating player to watch, with pace, strength and ability in equal measure. His performance vs Inter Milan will go down in history as one of the best individual games in history

And what a turbulent career. I'm pretty sure he was voted the worst left back in the country whilst at Birmingham City, only for Harry Redknapp to do what all great managers do and realise his potential lay elsewhere on the pitch

• Like 2

I have always wanted Moruinho to manage England to be honest. A born winner.

The problem is he has more than likely fallen out with 75% of our squad by now, but other than that I'd have him. A decent appointment by Brazil, but with their godly status as footballers over there he might find himself facing some resistance early doors. Players like Neymar don't simply fall in line

• Like 3

On 10/01/2023 at 07:53, roversfan99 said:

He is really savvy in big games tactically so I do wonder if he will thrive in international football, especially with less time to fall out with players.

That being said, I haven't seen that news.

Me either. A quick search pulls up lots of stories speculating. All of them seem to be based on former Brazil international Carlos Alberto making the claim on a podcast. He also reckoned that he's in line to be Mourinho's assistant. He might me in the frame but it all sounds iffy to me. 

From 2003-2013 Mourinho was the best in the business. His lost some of his mojo after his return to Chelsea. He thrived on being the underdog which became a hard act to pull off the more he won. It was easy for him to do at Porto, Chelsea, and Inter. 

He got to Real and his philosophy became impossible. Real Madrid were always favourites.

Guardiola's superb team didn't help him either. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well done to Darvel FC, 1-0 winners v Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup.

Cracking game and deserved winners.

Game management in the final minutes superb, they kept it down by a corner flag for at least 3 minutes.

Ok there was a dodgy flag against Aberdeen earlier and the keeper for Darvel had a stormer.

A good watch.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Well done to Darvel FC, 1-0 winners v Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup.

Cracking game and deserved winners.

Game management in the final minutes superb, they kept it down by a corner flag for at least 3 minutes.

Ok there was a dodgy flag against Aberdeen earlier and the keeper for Darvel had a stormer.

A good watch.

It was on BBC Alba (I think) I watched most of it

• Like 2