BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hull Preview

colin

THE HULL CITY FC DIARY (with interludes)

28th November 2009

Manchester City v Hull & here’s Jimmy-Bullard’s taking-the-mick celebration in retaliation for the public dressing-down handed out by Phil Brown last season when they were 4-0 down at half time. Today was a 1-1 draw.

here

13th December

Our 0-0 draw at the KC Stadium. That was a snore-fest wasn’t it?

19th December

Hull lose 3-0 at Ashburton Grove. Against Arsenals’ under 18’s. AW does “win things with kids.”

Hull is a shortened version of its real name, Kingston Upon Hull. It was never integrated into the national telephone network and as a result had its own phone system owned by the Council and had cream coloured public phone boxes, as opposed to the rest of the country’s red ones. The council sold the phone system to Kingston Communications a few years ago and some of the money was used to fund the construction of the KC stadium which the football club share with the league egg-chuckers

21st December

Hull City’s manager Phil Brown‘s chemistry teacher was Brendan Foster.

He(Phil Brown, not Brendan Foster) worked as Sam’s assistant at both Blackpool and Bolton.

5 years was all it took for Hull City to climb from the bottom rung of English football to the top tier. The Tigers' 104-year wait to reach the top flight ended on 24th May 2008 with a win against Bristol City in the play-off final. Hull won 1–0. Adding to the romance was the identity of the goal scorer: 39-year-old Dean Windass, a Hull-born cult hero who once made a living packing frozen peas.” Watch the ex-pea packer do the job here. In Tugay-style. How about that!

Hull's rise from the fourth tier to the first is not, however, the quickest on record, with Swansea (1977-81) and Wimbledon (1982-86) sharing that particular distinction. “

You can read all about Hull AFC’s history here

Our very own “Mr Pointy” spent a year at Hull in 2004-2005 where he scored a goal. The wikipedia contributor wrote “Keith is also a player known for his awareness and calmness when being on the ball, and shouting out vital instructions for both his club and country.” Sense-of-humour credit to that contributor.

26th December

Hull 1 Manchester United 3. Rooney lived up to his expectations. Mr Potato-Head played a blinder .

29th December

A good away point for The Tigers, 2-2 as the Trotters fans booed their team off the field at The Breezeblock. Stephen Hunt scored in the 71st & 78th minutes. That evening Bolton “parted company” with Megson. Much to the joy of many of the Bolton fans.

2nd January 2010 - FA Cup

At the same time as we died against Villa, Hull did a lot worse. At Wigan. 0-1 up at half time they put on their comfy-socks and they lost 4-1. Attendance -5335. We think we’ve got problems.

Phil Brown was a guest DJ on Radio Humberside that evening and started off by playing

London 0 - 4 Hull

The Housemartins:Here's a clip for “Happy Hour” from the Hull-based pop funsters from 1986. Weird Uncle Colin does this kind of dancing at parties

That’s Norman Cook in there. Paul Heaton went on to make £lots with The Beautiful South

In 2003 “The Idler” magazine ran a poll to find Britain’s “Crap Towns.” Hull came top. You’ll need to scroll down a bit.her

Goodness, here’s a surprise - Burnley! Scroll down some more

“The Stoops Estate – I once waited for a bus coming out of Stoops: it came past at 60mph, on fire. Then a car down the road exploded. I decided to walk“. - brilliant!

Blackburn isn’t in there, so it must be a really great place.

16th January

0-0. Nicky Barmby got booked after 28 minutes for time-wasting. Pretty much indicative of how Hull set out. But it was keeper Boaz Myhill who kept them in the game with a series of brilliant saves. A cheesed-off Spurs fan commentated on football365.com

“I was actually at the game, & saw one of the most turgid 90 minutes of 'football' I've ever had the misfortune to endure. Strangely, the Match of the Day production team chose not to show you highlights of Hull's heroic 'football' players rolling around on the floor for five minutes before getting up totally uninjured and jogging to the side of the pitch for a breather.”Hull did that strange thing of not playing in their first kit, opting to don a light blue ensemble. They looked enchanting.

Hull East has John Prescott as its MP.

the famous egg-chuck and what looks like a pretty good left jab from Prescott.

23rd January

A quick location reversal from 26th December and Hull travelled to The Theatre Of Merchandising where Mr Potato Head scored all 4. Hull are now in 18th place with a -26 goal difference. The worst in the league

30th January

2-2 at the KC v Wolves. Stephen Hunt scored a penalty for Hull, he was a target for Mick McCarthy, the Wolves manager. Mick on Hunt: "Personally I think he's a little shirt, scoring the penalty the way he did. I have never confirmed or denied any bids for him. Me and you can dance around our handbags all night long but I'm not going to talk about it." Bless you Mick, and your broad Barnsley accent and your big bendy nose.

Mick Ronson from David Bowies “Spiders From Mars” combo way back in 1974 was from Hull.

he is in his best plank-slapping, stack-heeled glory. Mind you, I bet he never went back to his Mum’s house in Hull dressed like this.

2nd February

Hull 1 - 1 Chelsea

I bet few people expected that result. By all accounts Hull played well, and deserved the point.

6th February

Hull at home to Manchester City………………………….

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brilliant off the wall preview Colin- going to remember that one for quite some time.

Bit confused by the first person plural....

Too early to make a prediction about this one other than say win it and thoughts of cold Wednesday nights in Doncaster receed to the Carling Cup or an unfortunate Cup replay.

Another good preview here,

We simply have to take 3 points here and I am going for a 3-1 victory to the Rovers with NIko baggin a brace and roberts getting one - maybe zaki or geovanni consolation, I just hope we can get at least a point at the Britannia and this will then give us a really good platform to build on taking on Owen Coyles Men at home the week after where once again it's a very winnable game.

Hull did get a good point v chelsea and will be up for this (Especiallyif they take anything off city) But we will beat em this year unlike that game last year :(

Lets hope we can push for the top 10 and credit must now surely go to Big sam - Not most attractive football I know but satrting to be effective.

Thoughts???

Don't mean to be a pain, or rude, but thought I'd correct a few things;

Hull is a shortened version of its real name, Kingston Upon Hull. It was never integrated into the national telephone network and as a result had its own phone system owned by the Council and had cream coloured public phone boxes, as opposed to the rest of the countrys red ones. The council sold the phone system to Kingston Communications a few years ago and some of the money was used to fund the construction of the KC stadium which the football club share with the league egg-chuckers

Hull's telephone system was owned by the Hull Corporation, which became Hull City Council in 1972. It's not that Hull was never integrated into the national telephone network, it was the fact that the Post Office Telephone network (became BT) was buying up all local telephone networks, Hull Corporation smartly decided to keep hold of their asset.

Hull City Council still part-own Kingston Communications, but sold the majority of it's shares to KCOM, some of those shares were used to build the Kingston Communications Stadium.

...and it's not 'had' cream telephone boxes, as they're still cream now, including quite a few listed K6 telephone boxes.

At the same time as we died against Villa, Hull did a lot worse. At Wigan. 0-1 up at half time they put on their comfy-socks and they lost 4-1. Attendance -5335. We think weve got problems.

It wasn't 'taking the comfy socks off' it was a case of N'Zogbia Vs a not-interested Peter Halmosi. Brown played the reserves and kids and lost the game because of players like Halmosi not wanting to play.

In 2003 The Idler magazine ran a poll to find Britains Crap Towns. Hull came top. Youll need to scroll down a bit.her

Goodness, heres a surprise - Burnley! Scroll down some more

The Stoops Estate I once waited for a bus coming out of Stoops: it came past at 60mph, on fire. Then a car down the road exploded. I decided to walk. - brilliant!

Blackburn isnt in there, so it must be a really great place.

Here's a non-negative fact you missed from your preview;

The person who wrote the Hull section in the "crap towns" book that was published was outed as a fraud and admitted he had never actually been to Hull. It pains me having to read many negative comments on the city from unknowlegable sources in the media.

A recent example;

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23794435-larkin-is-worth-a-pilgrimage-even-if-its-to-hull.do

Yet, Michael Portillo recently did a show visiting the city and loved it. He said it reminded him of Venice and was marvelled at the wonderful sight of Victorian Britain's great engineering work in the train station.

Larkin hated the bombed out city in the 1950s, but loved the place by his death.

Australian Author Peter Porter described it as the "Most poetic city in England"

Sir John Betjeman called Hull; a wonderful city of domes and spires

the investigative types, or the over-sensationalising, lazy journo types? I know who's information I'd rather pay attention to.

Hull East has John Prescott as its MP.

the famous egg-chuck and what looks like a pretty good left jab from Prescott.

another fact:

He also does FA for his constituancy.

Mick Ronson from David Bowies Spiders From Mars combo way back in 1974 was from Hull.

he is in his best plank-slapping, stack-heeled glory. Mind you, I bet he never went back to his Mums house in Hull dressed like this.

The Spiders from Mars were a seperate band, already together under the name; The Rats and were all from Hull. Ziggy Stardust (Bowie) enlisted them as his backing band and rocketed to success. Ronson though is (quite often un)credited with writing a lot of the music: including hits like; The man who sold the world, Life on Mars, Queen B!tch, Starman & Ziggy Stardust.

As for the last bit, from http://www.5years.com/spiders.htm;

Even though Ronno looked nearly as strange and exotic as Ziggy himself, his own Martian meanderings were for the stage and studio only. In fact Mick's always retained a firm relationship with his roots and parents.

"I think it used to be bit difficult when all the Ziggy thing was going on. I know people used to stop my sister in the street and say "Is that Mick of yours really a poof?" That was all really the Ziggy image. I never got involved with all those queens, who used to hang out with him. I just used to get on with my work and have a few drinks. He always found it difficult relating to regular people and especially to the rest of the band. I was the link. All that star bit never got through to me in the same kind of way. I liked pretty straightforward kind of people. I mean, I like to look good, but I don't need to surround myself with a lot of weird people. But then we were always into different things except when it came to the music." - Mick Ronson

As for the match, I think it'll be won or lost in midfield. Look out for young Tom Cairney.

The fixture calculator hasnt been very kind to us as we go into the final part of the season and in amongst games against Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, United & Villa (away) etc there are some games Id regard as a must win if we are to stay clear of the relgation zone and this is one of them (Bolton being another).

I think Sam knows this and I hope he picks a team to go out and attck Hull from the off (I say hope, not expect!)

Rovers to win 2-0 with Pedersen and Kalinic netting.

Must win game. In all honesty we should bury Hull, they're a poor outfit.

As for KC, having lived in Hull for three years I can inform you that they're a joke organisation. Such poor service. That said the city itself is quite nice - not fantastic mind, but not one of the worst in the country either.

Must win game. In all honesty we should bury Hull, they're a poor outfit.

As for KC, having lived in Hull for three years I can inform you that they're a joke organisation. Such poor service. That said the city itself is quite nice - not fantastic mind, but not one of the worst in the country either.

I don't think Kingston Communications are bad, but the broadband service they provide; Karoo, isn't great. Though I've been with some terrible IPs which actually make them not seem so bad.

For some reason, when the gutter press/media want to put a focus on Hull, they are always too keen to put emphasis on the city's council estates and never feature anything positive about the city - I don't know why this is, because as bad as Orchard Park and Brandsholme are, there are many FAR worse council estates in the U.K.

For anyone who may have visited Boothferry Park to watch Rovers in the 1980s, you may have heard this played;

http://www.hullcitypics.com/MUSIC_FILES/TheTigersAreBack.html

(give it a sec or 2 to start)

I don't think Kingston Communications are bad, but the broadband service they provide; Karoo, isn't great. Though I've been with some terrible IPs which actually make them not seem so bad.

For some reason, when the gutter press/media want to put a focus on Hull, they are always too keen to put emphasis on the city's council estates and never feature anything positive about the city - I don't know why this is, because as bad as Orchard Park and Brandsholme are, there are many FAR worse council estates in the U.K.

(give it a sec or 2 to start)

Went for the weekend for last season's match fearing the worst but believe me there are many worse places in the UK. The gutter press should look closer to home as 2/3s of London is a total $hithole

Nice preview post Colin, liked that one mate. Hull is of course a stepping stone for most people, with more exotic destinations on the horizon usually. Far away places with strange sounding names, like Bruges, Rotterdam and Zeebrugge. Some great old pubs in the town centre, I loved it when I went on route to Holland.

Simply a MUST WIN home game fot t`Rovers!!!

Our decent home form has kept us out of the relegation places, & if you look at our remaining home games (Hull,Bolton,Brum,Chelsea,Man Ure,Everton & L`arse) i find it hard to see where the points are coming from!! :unsure:

Wins against Hull & Bolton are simply a must. We are NOT safe yet!!!

COYB!!

I'm confident of getting 3 points from this one, and also confident we will get a goal from Niko "The Hitman" Kalinic!

Hull are very poor. We always see teams at the bottom pick the odd point or three against teams they really shouldn't, but their performance against Wolves showed me everything I need to and confirmed what I thought I knew about Hull - lack of a defence backbone!

If we can get at their centre halves by crossing balls into the box then I'm sure we can grab a few goals. This isn't Chelsea's style which is perhaps why they didn't get the desired result - and we all know how excellent we are at scoring from set pieces! Wolves played poorly and still got a positive result so I'm very confident!

Rovers 2 - 0 Kingston-Upon-Hull City FC

COYB!

After a draw against Chelski & a win over Man Citeh today, the boys from Hull will come into this game with a more positive attitude.

Rovers come into this game after yet another away-day wolloping!! :unsure:

I only hope Sam gets our boys UP for this game!

• Backroom

Losing this one is unthinkable... it'd be nice to see us take an attacking approach to the game, but I won't hold my breath on that one. As long as we win I don't care how we do it, to be honest, but anything less is nothing short of a disaster.

please BS lets have 442 with 2 strikers up front instead of one striker dropping back to deep also lets have a good performance for this one lads in memory of the unfortunate person who lost his life yesterday lets do it for him and some guesture would be nice as europe is still possible hopefully we will have dunn back for this one

after what happened yesterday i dont care about the result, win or lose, at the end of the day it doesnt really matter... i just hope there is a silence prior the the game to show our respect

Well Im pretty sure the young man's family would like to see Rovers show a mark of respect as well as go out and get a win in his memory. The fan was a B'Burn Season ticket holder which showed he loved the club and I assume loved to see the club win. What better way of showing a mark of respect than going out there and winning for him.

Archived