BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hull Preview

colin

On one of the last occasions they chose Ince! Definitely didn't follow a fixed narrow candidate spec then and thats what we fear. One more disaster and we are finished, the anti-Sam crowd should reflect on that.

Even more disconcerting is that Shearer was their first choice.

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coyle will need 12 months at least to get things right, not 4 weeks :rock:

Can I just add here that despite my anti Allardyce stance, I'm not sure anyone else could be achieving any better than he is right now. But what I do believe is that someone could be achieving a similar league position, whilst playing decent football both home and away and wouldn’t constantly blame everyone but himself for results.

I’m not getting into who that would be, because I’ve not given it much thought.

Allardyce took over at Rovers when we were in a much worse state than Bolton currently are, as we were adrift in the bottom three. Sam wasn't given 12 months by most around here, and I'd wager if Bolton do survive, it won't be in as comfortable fashion as we did last season.

Allardyce took over at Rovers when we were in a much worse state than Bolton currently are, as we were adrift in the bottom three. Sam wasn't given 12 months by most around here, and I'd wager if Bolton do survive, it won't be in as comfortable fashion as we did last season.

Thats not what you said though is it, you stated Coyle hasn't set the world on fire at Bolton, I pointed out he's only been there 4 weeks!

Thats not what you said though is it, you stated Coyle hasn't set the world on fire at Bolton, I pointed out he's only been there 4 weeks!

Sam was on fire after 4 weeks, and had already steered us out the zone despite a 5 point deficit.

Err, they did follow a narrow candidate spec- young, aggressive and British first time

- gnarled, experienced and British the second time

I remember some people were considering topping themselves if Henk ten Cate did not get appointed - what's the big man up to these days?

He said after his operation he needs/wants time to build things here. Said its tougher than ever, with low resources, but get the impression he thinks he can make us a top 8 club.

Might be fantasy but he has a proven track record of doing it at Bolton.

If Sam thinks he's up for it, I'd let him make the effort. He has a good track record as a manager. More recently, and while I don't think we'll necessarily finish 11th, I think he'll equal or exceed expectations this season. Which at the end of the day is the primary consideration.

Back to the hull game. I finally got around to watching it yesterday afternoon and fell asleep for half an hour in the 2nd half!

Before then, I was doing my own amateur statistical analysis of two thing that were bugging me.

Firstly, MGP's 'long' throws. He did 10 until I nodded off and every single one was won by a Hull defender or the goalie. However, and this is why Sam persists with it, we won 3 of the second balls with Olsson having 2 reasonable efforts at goal from them. Typical Allardyce in other words. It does create the odd chance but is mega-painful to keep watching.

The second factor was the tendency of the midfield, when they had plenty of time and space to control a ball punted out by the Hull defence, to lob it straight back on the volley in the general direction of a heavily marked Kalinic. We did this 11 times in the first hour and immediately lost possession every single time. They all did it with N'Zonzi being the worst culprit. Awful stuff and so wasteful.

Unless the last 30 mins of the 2nd half was a radical improvement on what went before, I found it a very forgettable match, neither good nor awful. Good save by Robbo early on, good move for the goal and I thought it was a sending off.

Firstly, MGP's 'long' throws. He did 10 until I nodded off and every single one was won by a Hull defender or the goalie. However, and this is why Sam persists with it, we won 3 of the second balls with Olsson having 2 reasonable efforts at goal from them. Typical Allardyce in other words.

Nearly every single team plays a long throw now. Obviously there must be some pretty strong statistics supporting the long throw, so many teams do it.

Did you watch Bolton against Tottenham on television today? Both teams have managers portrayed as having teams that play good football, but any throw-ins near they box that they got, Steinsson or Huddlestone respectively would launch the ball as far as they could.

Im not getting into who that would be, because Ive not given it much thought.

That should be your signature these days.

btw "Coyle will need 12 months at least to get things right, not 4 weeks"

Coyle might need 12 months to get things right but he simply doesn't have 12 months.

.... There are high quality managers out there whom I am sure would jump at the chance to manage Rovers judging by some of the names that came forwards on the last two occasions- it just needs the Board to be more open-minded and not follow a fixed narrow candidate spec.

Yeah and look who we chuffin well ended up with. :rolleyes:

I can hardly believe you wrote that. You really are turning into waggy.

The second factor was the tendency of the midfield, when they had plenty of time and space to control a ball punted out by the Hull defence, to lob it straight back on the volley in the general direction of a heavily marked Kalinic. We did this 11 times in the first hour and immediately lost possession every single time. They all did it with N'Zonzi being the worst culprit. Awful stuff and so wasteful.

No bloody wonder! His other option was trying to play one two's with Julie. :angry2:

Mate of mine watched the warm up before the Hull game, and mentioned that the coach spent 20 minutes with Kalinic, by lumping the ball up in the air for the lad to try and control.

Maybe he needs to spend a little longer with him…..

Mate of mine watched the warm up before the Hull game, and mentioned that the coach spent 20 minutes with Kalinic, by lumping the ball up in the air for the lad to try and control.

Maybe he needs to spend a little longer with him…..

Shearer controlled lots of long balls with his back to goal and I'm damned sure he'd practice it frequently, Sutton, RSC, and even Ward and Blake too. Any Prem striker (except of course Roy Race :rolleyes: ) will play most of his football with his back to goal. So what on earths wrong with practising it and getting your touch right? I'd not understand them not doing that.

I suppose you'd rather they did Tugay tap ups and then sneaked off for a last minute fag eh Gav? :rolleyes:

I've seen Birmingham a number of times, the football is far more impressive than we're being served up Lechuck.

Thought you might be interested in this quote from Savage about Derby's game with Birmingham at the weekend:

Savage added: “We sat back in the last ten minutes and got edgy. You can’t leave Kevin Phillips unmarked in the six-yard box like we did. All Birmingham really tried to do was knock the ball long to Cameron Jerome.”

So now I've got stats AND Robbie Savage on my side. ;)

Archived