BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New York Cosmos

As a Rovers supporter in NYC I am also part of a grassroots movement to bring a Football Club to New York, Recently alot of noise has been made by two ownership groups that are trying to do just that. One which owns the name Cosmos is headed by former Spurs Vice Chairman Paul Kemsley, The other is looking to build a Football Stadium in NYC, most likely Queens. Our Grassroots group "the Borough Boys" has had meeting with Mayor Bloomberg's top men, as well as MLS Officials and Fred Wilpon (Owner of the NY Mets Baseball Club)

Anyways I just wanted to see how those in the UK felt about the Cosmos. Does the Cosmos name mean anything over there, does it spark any kind of memories?

Also I'd like to ask you to sign the petition to help bring the sport back to NYC: Sign Petition Here!

If you want to keep track of the Cosmos situation in NYC please feel free to visit our blog: This Is Cosmos Country Blog

Thanks alot and I look forward to hearing how many of you have even heard of the New York Cosmos, not sure what kind of imprint they may have left in England...

Cheers,

jay

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Late 70's , a trend for footballers to finish their career in the US I recall. They played in a white shirt, with green trim, and certainly Pele turned out for them. Other exports to US football included Cruyf, Bobby Moore, Best I think and a load of lower grade players too.

Other team I remember were Tampa Bay Rowdies, or was it Buccaneers?

Late 70's , a trend for footballers to finish their career in the US I recall. They played in a white shirt, with green trim, and certainly Pele turned out for them. Other exports to US football included Cruyf, Bobby Moore, Best I think and a load of lower grade players too.

Other team I remember were Tampa Bay Rowdies, or was it Buccaneers?

I am sure David Bradford played at Tampa??

Sorry, got it wrong!!

David Bradford (born February 22, 1953) is a retired professional football midfielder from England.

In 1968, Bradford began his career as a fifteen year old apprentice with Blackburn Rovers. In 1971, he moved up to the first team. In 1974, they sent him to Sheffield United for £100,000 where he played for Ken Furphy. In 1978, Furphy, now coach of the Detroit Express of the North American football League, brought Bradford to the United States. He returned to England at the end of the NASL seasons and played for Coventry City in 1978-1979 before returning to the Detroit Express in 1979. In 1981, he signed with the Washington Diplomats, then played the 1982 season with the Tulsa Roughnecks. Bradford played for the Baltimore Blast in the Major football League in 1982-1983. In 1983, he played for the Seattle Sounders. The team folded at the end of the season and Bradford returned to the Roughnecks for the last season of the NASL.

After his retirement, he managed the Brownhill post office for over a decade.[1] He now coaches in the Tulsa football Academy.

One reason why i hate the MLS, gay club names.

Whats wrong with New York Athletic, New York Rovers, New York City?

Sigh :blush: good luck either way, the more football is watched/played the better the game will become.

Agreed. Although I do like some of the ridiculous names too. Should make then genuinely humourous while they're at it.

Yeah, Sheffield Wednesday, that's really butch. As for the Cosmos, they were my favorite club growing up, because of Pele of course.

Wednesday got their name from the steelworkers who formed their club on the basis of their allocated day off so their name is gritty, Northern and butch!

I saw "Once in a lifetime" on DVD a few weeks ago which was the story of Cosmas in the 70's in particular and US "football" in that decade in general. Well worth a watch!

I once saw Cosmos play in the 70s. I think it was when Tony Field was playing for them and Wikipedia tells me that was 76/77 so it must have been then. Certainly I went to New York twice around then as my brother-in-law was living there. I've no idea who they were playing or what the score was though. Most likely 0-0 knowing my luck. On these trips I also went to see the NY Mets play the Montreal Expos and had to leave before the end to catch my plane home - it was still 0-0 when I left in overtime.

As I was born in Southport and grew up near there I used to go to watch Southport as a lad with school mates - they played on a Friday night then so didn't clash with Rovers. I then went to university in Sheffield in the early 70s so saw Tony play for the home team for 4 different clubs - Southport, Rovers, Sheffield United and Cosmos.

Do the New York Red Bulls count as being a New York team or are they technically New Jersey?

I'm pretty sure the Cosmos played in Giants stadium, which is in New Jersey.

Wednesday got their name from the steelworkers who formed their club on the basis of their allocated day off so their name is gritty, Northern and butch!

Where they got their name from is irrelevant, it doesn't sound butch.

.....On these trips I also went to see the NY Mets play the Montreal Expos and had to leave before the end to catch my plane home - it was still 0-0 when I left in overtime.

It's called extra innings.

Correct.

Whenever I hear the clap-clap-clapclapclap-clapclap-clap-clap - Rovers chant, I always say Cosmos instead. That was their big radio advertising campaign.

When we played "football" in our backyard, I was always Georgio Chinaglia.

Also Played in Yankee Stadium NYC, and on Randell's Island NYC...

As for the NY Red Bulls, Yes they play in New jersey, once took me three hours to get to a match from Brooklyn. (though they are building a new stadium closer to transit) My biggest problem with the Red Bulls is the corporate name (named after the Energy Drink), there was no protest from supporters like you would have seen in England. That said many in my group wont support a New Jersey team because New Jersey bars and diners and stores would benefit rather than NYC ones.

Before the Cosmos name came up again the popular name for the team was New York City FC.

Also suprised no one mentioned Franz Beckenbauer, though he probably isn't the most liked person in England.

Thanks to all of you that have signed the petition We really appreciate it.

The team San Jose Earthquakes always makes me laugh. It's the way they named the side after the biggest local negative they could think of, maybe to deter away fans coming over.

Maybe it could catch on in England, and we can look forward to new names on the fixture list, such as Stockport County Shipman Murders, or Aston Villa Speech Impediments.

They dissolved one year before I was born, so the only thing that springs to mind when thinking about the NY Cosmos, is "the club that great footballers went to for a last, big payday".

The team San Jose Earthquakes always makes me laugh. It's the way they named the side after the biggest local negative they could think of, maybe to deter away fans coming over.

Maybe it could catch on in England, and we can look forward to new names on the fixture list, such as Stockport County Shipman Murders, or Aston Villa Speech Impediments.

:lol: I heard that Bradford City wants to change names to Bradford Street Riots.

I laugh at the USA terminology, kit is Uniform, boots are Cleets, header is a headshot!!

Where do they get them from!!

I think the header bit suffers from a different definition of 'head' over in the US!

We've got some pretty stupid terminology over here too...'stockings' form part of a footy kit!

Did you know that 'bugs' is an English phrase that went to the US and then we stopped using in favour of insects, presumably? Similarly, aluminum was the phrase on both sides of the Atlantic and then we changed it, or something? These are both from QI I think so they might be a load of tripe.

Anyway Cosmos - Instantly makes me think of Pele

:D:D

Very good.

Archived