BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New York Cosmos

They dissolved one year before I was born, so the only thing that springs to mind when thinking about the NY Cosmos, is "the club that great footballers went to for a last, big payday".

This is the same for me. I imagine I may have thought differently if I had been around and interested at the time.

As another poster has mentioned, "Once in a lifetime" is an excellent documentary to watch on the subject.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only real American name that really gets on my tits, is football.

You cannot use the word football in science because the poor little lambs get confused.

The part that really gets on my tits is that every other coutry in the world calls it Football, but yet all of us have to adapt to suit them.

So we're the ones who made Sky call it $0ccer Saturday and $0ccer AM... Gotcha.

And I lived most of my life in the US and NEVER heard a header called a headshot - headshots are photos that actors get taken to send out.

Thanks alot and I look forward to hearing how many of you have even heard of the New York Cosmos, not sure what kind of imprint they may have left in England...

Cheers,

jay

What did everyone think of them? It might be apocryphal but it seems like the N.Y. Cosmos club president was less than impressed. On witnessing the imperious Franz Beckenbauer playing a sweeper role on his debut at the Giants Stadium, the exasperated president reportedly barked, "We don't pay a million dollars for a guy who lurks around at the back. Tell him to get his ass up front!"

One reason why i hate the MLS, gay club names.

Whats wrong with New York Athletic, New York Rovers, New York City?

Sigh :blush: good luck either way, the more football is watched/played the better the game will become.

When did 'gay' become an acceptable adjective to describe something terrible, bad or indeed negative?

Granted it began it's life as an adjective but was positive in it's own definition. Using the word 'gay' in it's newly discovered form makes you appear of low intelligence and not forgetting social standing.

Allow me to suggest a purchase which can only serve to better your life:

Click it, by all means.

In regards to the original topic. My five a side team is called 'Ribble Valley Cosmos'. Good choice.

When did 'gay' become an acceptable adjective to describe something terrible, bad or indeed negative?

Granted it began it's life as an adjective but was positive in it's own definition. Using the word 'gay' in it's newly discovered form makes you appear of low intelligence and not forgetting social standing.

Click it, by all means.

In regards to the original topic. My five a side team is called 'Ribble Valley Cosmos'. Good choice.

I'd use the geography of the area and call them the 'Ribble Valley Glaciers'. It's bloody freezing round there at the best of times and the players will all be just as slow.

So we're the ones who made Sky call it $0ccer Saturday and $0ccer AM... Gotcha.

And I lived most of my life in the US and NEVER heard a header called a headshot - headshots are photos that actors get taken to send out.

I've been in the US for nearly 15 years and heard some interesting terminology applied to football, including headshot. When you coach little kids who's parents have never played you get all sorts.

Click it, by all means.

Go get laid or somthing...

I laugh at the USA terminology, kit is Uniform, boots are Cleets, header is a headshot!!

Where do they get them from!!

I can see where uniform and cleats sound odd if you've not grown up hearing them. But I've got to say, I've never heard the term "headshot" in a football context until just now.

Ah so you are below the age of adulthood.

Fair enough, ignore my previous post. Come back and read it when you have completed a basic education.

I bow to your superior intellect and wit, please forgive me. Get a life, it was a slang term which is widely used in common tongue. Get a life rather than having your head up your arse nit picking on a 'fun' messageboard.

I bow to your superior intellect and wit, please forgive me. Get a life, it was a slang term which is widely used in common tongue. Get a life rather than having your head up your arse nit picking on a 'fun' messageboard.

I accept your apology.

The only real American name that really gets on my tits, is football.

You cannot use the word football in science because the poor little lambs get confused.

The part that really gets on my tits is that every other coutry in the world calls it Football, but yet all of us have to adapt to suit them.

Uh, Maj......I'm with you in that I prefer to call it football. But I think you need to do a little research on the creation of The FA and the origin of the term S*O*C*C*E*R. They're very related to each other.

It's called extra innings.

No. No it isn't. If that's what you want to call it, fine, but why "correct" someone else on it when the vast majority of the English world don't call it that? Innings are in cricket ffs.

We've got some pretty stupid terminology over here too...'stockings' form part of a footy kit!

...not really. I've heard this maybe once or twice in my life. Well over 90 percent of people here will tell you a footy kit is: socks, shorts, shirt, boots, shinpads. End of. Unless you're a keeper obviously! Or Ronaldo, in which case you add grease to the list.

No. No it isn't. If that's what you want to call it, fine, but why "correct" someone else on it when the vast majority of the English world don't call it that? Innings are in cricket ffs.

Yes, yes it is. Each sport gets to determine what it's terms are. Get over it. As for cricket, you know where you can fire a googly. :glare:

I think it's quite endearing that the Americans disregard the terms of a game that is 150 years old, and just make up their own.

Let's face it, this isn't just limited to football.

The buzz words, and the silly phrases and wot-not.

Just giving ya a heads-up on what's coming down the pipe.

Archived