BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New York Cosmos

I laugh at the USA terminology, kit is Uniform, boots are Cleets, header is a headshot!!

Where do they get them from!!

i thought a header was a "top body". i.e. one top bodied the sphere into the upper 90 of the scorebag.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone seen Once in a lifetime - The story of the New York Cosmos? Not seen it myself so if anyone recommends it pls let me know.

I saw "Once in a lifetime" on DVD a few weeks ago which was the story of Cosmas in the 70's in particular and US "football" in that decade in general. Well worth a watch!

As another poster has mentioned, "Once in a lifetime" is an excellent documentary to watch on the subject.

When did 'gay' become an acceptable adjective to describe something terrible, bad or indeed negative?

Granted it began it's life as an adjective but was positive in it's own definition. Using the word 'gay' in it's newly discovered form makes you appear of low intelligence and not forgetting social standing.

When used as a negative it's actually spelt "ghey", and thus has no homophobic connotations.

When used as a negative it's actually spelt "ghey", and thus has no homophobic connotations.

:lol::lol: Hilarious.

I would say I am broadly a paid up member of being PC. Yet still picked up calling people gay as a negative thing at school ("this test is well gay" etc etc) and I find it really hard to not reflexively use it even now, ten years out of secondary school.

Annoying as it makes me 1) sound like a moron 2) sound like a homophobe 3) not even amusing and 4) does not even posess any descriptive power for what ever it is I am applying it to.

Tony Field played up front for Cosmos, I'm fairly sure, might've been just before Pele though.

i'm on my second retro cosmos replica kit :)

Tony Field turned out during the Pele era. Was a very good second banana on that side.

I also recall Stevie Hunt and Dennis Tueart as very good wingmen on those mid 70's Cosmos side.

The team was mostly elder Euro stars coming in to collect a last, good cheque. But Stevie Hunt

differed (IIFC) was a youngman when he left the side to return to his beloved Coventry.

Whenever I hear the clap-clap-clapclapclap-clapclap-clap-clap - Rovers chant, I always say Cosmos instead. That was their big radio advertising campaign.

When we played "football" in our backyard, I was always Georgio Chinaglia.

the hunchback. Whenever Giorgio would get on the ball and the 'hunchback' came out it was trouble for the goalkeeper

Haha very good. It isn't just the slander of a group of people that annoys me.

I have a personal vendetta against over generalised adjectives.

To be honest most american "s0ccer" fans call it football, I use Footy because it tends to get the point across that I'm not talking about gridiron. Ive had a number of conversations with Englishmen where I was calling it Football and they were calling it s0ccer. (I guess we were both trying to be polite to the other) That said come June 12th I'll be calling it s0ccer.

as for extra/overtime vs. extra innings, you cant use the word time when describing an untimed game such as Baseball or Cricket, therefore it must be innings.

We don't just make these things up they come from somewhere, also I dunno if i have ever heard someone tell me what's "coming down the pipe"

I used to work for Pfizer, I got that one a few times.

Here I am, wearing my replica kit on my birthday ;-)

Wonder if I can find the original being worn online somewhere?

PS: Have just signed petition.

n691415991_2417390_672661.jpg

I used to work for Pfizer, I got that one a few times.

Here I am, wearing my replica kit on my birthday ;-)

Wonder if I can find the original being worn online somewhere?

PS: Have just signed petition.

n691415991_2417390_672661.jpg

Nevermind that Cosmos' replica, Bryan.....

THAT MUG-a-BEER LOOKS BRILLANT!

Archived