BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Guus Hiddink

yoda

from the beeb

"Guus Hiddink has revealed he will step down from his role as Russia coach when his contract expires on 30 June.

The Dutchman, who failed to secure Russia's qualification to the World Cup in South Africa, announced his decision in Saturday's De Telegraaf newspaper"

What do people think of this as a possible manager of the Rovers

We should be able to afford his salary

Maybe Sam is retiring and it's a done deal!

:rover:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would want to keep Sam, unless health reasons dictate otherwise. If Sam has to retire for health reasons, Guus Hiddink would be an excellent choice to replace him but I don't see Hiddink as viewing the Rovers as a positive move (which it would be- as any Rover supporter knows).

this is the second time I've seen this question asked, and I'm not sure on what grounds. Hiddink, despite his recent disappointment with Russia, is still a manager regarded not that far from the class of Morunhio and Capello. It can not happen.

Only as ridiculous as the Sam out brigade not putting forward any alternatives

<_<

I am not part of that brigade, however Hiddink is not an alternative. Armin Veh, Valverde, Ballardini, all released from positions recently that have had Allardyce like success in the past. Definately "alternatives", maybe not better, but more on our level of expectation.

I am not part of that brigade, however Hiddink is not an alternative. Armin Veh, Valverde, Ballardini, all released from positions recently that have had Allardyce like success in the past. Definately "alternatives", maybe not better, but more on our level of expectation.

Depends on what your level of expectation is!

<_<

Former England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson has already been sounded out to find out if he would be interested in a role with an unnamed English side

OK, this seems like a good point to debate.

Why would ANY top class Manager like Hiddink come to Blackburn Rovers? There is no transfer budget, the squad is full of average or slightly above average players and we have NO chance of competing for League or Continental glory.

There is no way Hiddink or any other World Class Manager would come to fight out mid table competition with a good cup run every now and again.

Would Hiddink go to Bolton, Fulham, Stoke or Sunderland? You probably wouldn't even tempt him with Tottenham, Villa or Everton.

What is your level of expectation?

OK, this seems like a good point to debate.

Why would ANY top class Manager like Hiddink come to Blackburn Rovers? There is no transfer budget, the squad is full of average or slightly above average players and we have NO chance of competing for League or Continental glory.

There is no way Hiddink or any other World Class Manager would come to fight out mid table competition with a good cup run every now and again.

Would Hiddink go to Bolton, Fulham, Stoke or Sunderland? You probably wouldn't even tempt him with Tottenham, Villa or Everton.

What is your level of expectation?

To get the best we can afford, why are you putting down the club you support.

A mid table club in the EPL always has an attraction, SGE took a position at Notts County! I think he is still a "world class" manager

To get the best we can afford, why are you putting down the club you support.

A mid table club in the EPL always has an attraction, SGE took a position at Notts County! I think he is still a "world class" manager

With a promise of gold bullion in resources.

I am not putting down the club. Armin Veh won the Bundesliga, Valverde won the Superleague in Greece and Ballardini did a great job with Palermo.

They are not crap Managers, just coaches who are to me on the level or if not a little above Sam Allardyce.

EDIT: Of which Hiddink is a mile beyond in quality

. . . we have NO chance of competing for League or Continental glory.

I don't think this is true. There have been more than a few matches this season which the Rovers could have won only to lose. Convert a few of those to wins, and we would be challenging for Europe. While I doubt we'd get Hiddink, I am fairly sure that his ego (or the ego of similarly succesful managers) would cause him to think that he would take the Rovers to Europe. And who knows. He might be right.

That said, Sam is the man for us. He'll keep us up. If he sticks around next year, he'll keep us improving. And the year after next perhaps we will be talking Europe.

I don't think this is true. There have been more than a few matches this season which the Rovers could have won only to lose. Convert a few of those to wins, and we would be challenging for Europe. While I doubt we'd get Hiddink, I am fairly sure that his ego (or the ego of similarly succesful managers) would cause him to think that he would take the Rovers to Europe. And who knows. He might be right.

That said, Sam is the man for us. He'll keep us up. If he sticks around next year, he'll keep us improving. And the year after next perhaps we will be talking Europe.

I agree with that :)

I'll be quite surprised if Sam is still at Rovers the year after next...

Archived