BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Guus Hiddink

yoda

from the beeb

"Guus Hiddink has revealed he will step down from his role as Russia coach when his contract expires on 30 June.

The Dutchman, who failed to secure Russia's qualification to the World Cup in South Africa, announced his decision in Saturday's De Telegraaf newspaper"

What do people think of this as a possible manager of the Rovers

We should be able to afford his salary

Maybe Sam is retiring and it's a done deal!

:rover:

Can I just ask if you're serious about this or just taking the mick?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, this seems like a good point to debate.

Why would ANY top class Manager like Hiddink come to Blackburn Rovers? There is no transfer budget, the squad is full of average or slightly above average players and we have NO chance of competing for League or Continental glory.

There is no way Hiddink or any other World Class Manager would come to fight out mid table competition with a good cup run every now and again.

Would Hiddink go to Bolton, Fulham, Stoke or Sunderland? You probably wouldn't even tempt him with Tottenham, Villa or Everton.

What is your level of expectation?

Sums it up for me. You also forgot to add we couldn't afford him.

Like with our players we need to pick up the hidden gems in management.

If the coaches or managers hear what their budget would be, then they will be very angry that we even approached them :lol:

Well according toreports Sven goran Ericson (spelling) has been approached by a 'number' of premiership clubs to become their manager. Apart from Chelsea and Man City who have cash to splash and man u and liverpool who have more debts to build upon, there are not many other clubs better off moneywise than Rovers. So if he would consider going to a club which is not blessed moneywise, why would not any other high profile manager? At the end of the day a football manager likes a challenge - no matter what that challenge is. Clubs with high balance sheets are getting fewer and fewer. So these high class managers will have no choice but to take on a club with limitted finances - or become tv pundits or unemployed.

It would be interesting to know who has approached SGE.

I'll be quite surprised if Sam is still at Rovers the year after next...

Year after next we'll be talking Europe, not that Sam will be here. I haven't the faintest as to where Sam will be the year after next.

In fairness, he may well be at the Rovers. His managerial record at Bolton is such that I'd suspect that he'll stick, assuming his health allows and the board wants to keep him. On the other hand, he's stated a desire to retire in his 50s, which I think is merely so much wind. Sam strikes me as the type of guy who'll die if he retires. He needs to work to keep the spark alive.

And I wouldn't be opposed to Sam for more than a few years. He's a good manager and with him at the helm the Rovers should stay safe while also improving.

Year after next we'll be talking Europe, not that Sam will be here. I haven't the faintest as to where Sam will be the year after next.

In fairness, he may well be at the Rovers. His managerial record at Bolton is such that I'd suspect that he'll stick, assuming his health allows and the board wants to keep him. On the other hand, he's stated a desire to retire in his 50s, which I think is merely so much wind. Sam strikes me as the type of guy who'll die if he retires. He needs to work to keep the spark alive.

And I wouldn't be opposed to Sam for more than a few years. He's a good manager and with him at the helm the Rovers should stay safe while also improving.

What I mean is, I think Sam will have retired from club management. He might just fancy one shot at the England job but it's unlikely he'd be offered it.

I think he'll be involved in football at some level. Chief of LMA sounds plausable. Most likely he'll do some media work. It'd be amusing to see Big Sam and Fergie do a "Saint and Greavsie"!

Hope you're right about Europe. You could do with getting to some Rovers games smoss - we need your kind of positive thinking!!

Hope you're right about Europe. You could do with getting to some Rovers games smoss - we need your kind of positive thinking!!

Tickets are booked. March 4-14. I was hoping to see Rovers thrash Birmingham at home, then see Rovers give the Spurs a good kicking away (the Rovers are due against the Spurs). I really hope that Birmingham is rescheduled close in time to the original date so I can get there. I will be mildly torqued if I only get one Rovers game in during the trip.

Guest Kamy100

Tickets are booked. March 4-14. I was hoping to see Rovers thrash Birmingham at home, then see Rovers give the Spurs a good kicking away (the Rovers are due against the Spurs). I really hope that Birmingham is rescheduled close in time to the original date so I can get there. I will be mildly torqued if I only get one Rovers game in during the trip.

Birmingham game has been rescheduled for Wednesday 24th March, 8.00pm kick off. Real shame that you are coming all this way and you will only get to see one game.

What I mean is, I think Sam will have retired from club management. He might just fancy one shot at the England job but it's unlikely he'd be offered it.

Unlikely? Biggest understatment of the century so far!

I can imagine the press conference now

"We would like to thank Mr Capello for the excellent job he has done turning England into a competitive international side again, but he and the F.A felt it was time to bring in an expert, so please welcome BFS, the new England coach." :lol:

Birmingham game has been rescheduled for Wednesday 24th March, 8.00pm kick off. Real shame that you are coming all this way and you will only get to see one game.

This truly sucks. Oh well, I'll have over a week in northern England and Scotland with no game to scehdule around.

Still sucks.

Well according toreports Sven goran Ericson (spelling) has been approached by a 'number' of premiership clubs to become their manager. Apart from Chelsea and Man City who have cash to splash and man u and liverpool who have more debts to build upon, there are not many other clubs better off moneywise than Rovers.

:unsure: Is this serious?!

Arsenal

Spurs

Villa

Everton

Sunderland

Birmingham (new owners)

Bolton (looser purse strings)

Plus a whole load of others who we're comparable with like Stoke, Hull and Fulham.

I don't think this is true. There have been more than a few matches this season which the Rovers could have won only to lose. Convert a few of those to wins, and we would be challenging for Europe. While I doubt we'd get Hiddink, I am fairly sure that his ego (or the ego of similarly succesful managers) would cause him to think that he would take the Rovers to Europe. And who knows. He might be right.

That said, Sam is the man for us. He'll keep us up. If he sticks around next year, he'll keep us improving. And the year after next perhaps we will be talking Europe.

The problem is that we have to finish ahead of either Liverpool, Man City, Spurs or Villa to even have a chance of finishing seventh. And even that might not be enough to get into Europe unless the winners of the League Cup and FA Cup are both already in Europe.

I don't think this is true. There have been more than a few matches this season which the Rovers could have won only to lose. Convert a few of those to wins, and we would be challenging for Europe. While I doubt we'd get Hiddink, I am fairly sure that his ego (or the ego of similarly succesful managers) would cause him to think that he would take the Rovers to Europe. And who knows. He might be right.

That said, Sam is the man for us. He'll keep us up. If he sticks around next year, he'll keep us improving. And the year after next perhaps we will be talking Europe.

This makes no sense, even if Rovers did amazingly "qualify" for Europe it still would not mean we could attract Gus friggin Hiddink.

Hiddink will go to a team who guarantee not only European qualification but have a chance of winning it.

This makes no sense, even if Rovers did amazingly "qualify" for Europe it still would not mean we could attract Gus friggin Hiddink.

Hiddink will go to a team who guarantee not only European qualification but have a chance of winning it.

Er! how do Turkey come into the equation then?

American Fans are talking about him becoming the next US coach... Not really sure if the US job is a more prestigious Job than Rovers... I'm not sure if Big Sam would ever be considered "the big name" that the USSF is looking for, but I am 100% sure that Bob Bradley would never get a sniff to manage in the Prem.

I didn't realise Turkey played in a domestic league? The Ottoman Süper Lig perhaps?

Don't be flippent, it doesn't suit you,

Turkey are not exactly top of the international tree but he is being linked with them

B)

OK, this seems like a good point to debate.

Why would ANY top class Manager like Hiddink come to Blackburn Rovers? There is no transfer budget, the squad is full of average or slightly above average players and we have NO chance of competing for League or Continental glory.

There is no way Hiddink or any other World Class Manager would come to fight out mid table competition with a good cup run every now and again.

Would Hiddink go to Bolton, Fulham, Stoke or Sunderland? You probably wouldn't even tempt him with Tottenham, Villa or Everton.

What is your level of expectation?

Although I agree with your main point, I'd take a little bit of offense comparing us to those clubs. We might currently be below them in terms of resources, but those clubs can never touch our history.

Unlikely? Biggest understatment of the century so far!

I can imagine the press conference now

"We would like to thank Mr Capello for the excellent job he has done turning England into a competitive international side again, but he and the F.A felt it was time to bring in an expert, so please welcome BFS, the new England coach." :lol:

A-thank you.

Raises the question though - if the FA decide to go for an English manager to follow Capello, who would be in the running ahead of Sam? I can only think of Hodgson.

Archived