BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Heat Monitors For Consoles

Just out of curiosity guys I am wondering why the consoles have no heat monitor in the XBOX , PS3 or the WI, as I see it, it seems to be a major problem with consoles.

Im wondering if there is some reason that a monitor of some description and digital readout on the front of the console isnt applied to consoles for some reason, its been standard practice for gaming PC's for ages now.

Anyone have any ideas or news on this becoming procedure in the future?

alot of people upgrade PC's and as a result it gets alot hotter if there isnt a good enough air supply/fans. with a console it comes as standard, theres no upgrading it so sony/nintendo/microsoft can build each a console and have a good enough cooling system as standard.

of course this is all in theory and some day we could see a temp control in a console, but at the moment its highly unlikely

alot of people upgrade PC's and as a result it gets alot hotter if there isnt a good enough air supply/fans. with a console it comes as standard, theres no upgrading it so sony/nintendo/microsoft can build each a console and have a good enough cooling system as standard.

of course this is all in theory and some day we could see a temp control in a console, but at the moment its highly unlikely

I agree in principle but the longer you play the hotter they get it also depends on if you play them in a well ventilated area too or if your fans get dust in them and dont work effectively.

I have played my PS3 for hours on end then after a while you start to get a few graphic glitches which is usually due to the gpu overheating, not to mention the way the heatsinks and fans sit on the xbox which are awfull.

The only reason I can find is that they actually dont care if you overheat your console because it means either a repair or a new console, I think im going to have a little tamper with the PS3 to see if I can find a way to install some kind of cpu and gpu heat monitor just to see how the temnperature changes over time.

With pcs you just admit defeat on the size of the tower but a console you want something small and doesn’t look too out of place in your front room. As you like to keep it on one off the trays under tv not at side off a table like a pc.

And this does compromise air flow, space and how many fans you can have. Optimum fans is 1xcpu 1xgpu 1x front and 2x back. Sometimes its 2x front and 2x back for fan systems.

My old iMac G3 had no fans at all. That was a great computer - completely silent.

Anyway, I'm sure consoles have temperature sensors inside them. You can hear the fans on the Xbox really going for it during a graphically intensive game and less so during something like Uno.

Also it knows when to cut the power completely if you wrap it in a towel and overheat it.

Archived