BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions League

ewoodpo

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They needed a majority of the clubs to vote for this. Besides the so called top 4 which of the other clubs voted against the idea.

Wouldn't be surprised if it were the fringe clubs such as Spurs, City, Villa and Everton. They wouldn't want to finnish 4th over a 38 game season then lose the opportunity to play in the Champions League in a cup tie scenario.

I can see the logic with the top four along with City. But clubs like Fulham and Birmingham they should have been well up for the idea. It would create a headache with the fixtures at the end of the season . But if implemented it would have worked and it would have been something to look forward to for the smaller clubs like us.

Pretty soon, though no new changes will be made that detract from the bigger teams. United, Chelsea, Arsenal, City, Liverpool, will never vote yes it will only take away from their pockets. When you also consider Spurs and Villa are trying to claim the 4th place spot, then I can also see them voting no. They all have the funds to reach 4th on their own so why risk it with a play-off. Already then thats 7 clubs leaving just 13 who could potentially vote yes, so it will never happen.

All these teams fairly soon will dictate what does and doesn't happen and we'll just have to do our best to cope.

Your right that the first job is staying in the prem. But final position for rovers is alos important moneywise. The higher they finish the more money given. So after reaching the first job it is only right they try to finish as high as possible. For yeas I have considered that it should only be the league winners that go in to the champions league - I still believe that. But that is never going to happen. So to make the prem more interesting than just watching the top 4 take all the glory and the dosh, make 7th place something to play for. It has helped improve the ambitions of other clubs in the lower divisions - Rovers as well of course years ago - getting into the play offs. So I am for this idea being mooted. It is something that Rovers could do with. It is alright playing to stay in the prem, but better to be able to play for another target as well.

I agree with this aswell it would be good for us to have that lil extra to aim for during the season particular last 5-6 games if were say 10th... remeber the west brom game last year at home 0-0 last game of season cost us about £1,600,000 in prize money with our final standing :(

• Backroom

Arsenal 4-0 up V Porto, I missed the first 2 but the 3rd and 4th goals were sheer class, the 3rd was some great skill and finish by Nasri, the 4th a brilliant counter attack finished perfectly by Eboue who had absolutely legged it down the pitch.

Beautiful football I'd love them to win the league and the Champions league

Arsenal 4-0 up V Porto, I missed the first 2 but the 3rd and 4th goals were sheer class, the 3rd was some great skill and finish by Nasri, the 4th a brilliant counter attack finished perfectly by Eboue who had absolutely legged it down the pitch.

Beautiful football I'd love them to win the league and the Champions league

Wash your mouth out Tom! :-)

I'm also glad the Fascist ____s have gone out. As if they are not annoying enough, they have Ronaldo as well. AC Milan have been crumbling for years. They have relied on aging players for around 5 years. Players like Nesta, Maldini, Seedorf, Gattuso and Inzaghi have hung around too long, and have not been replaced adequately. Even Ronaldinho joined past his peak.

Must be glad they had all of that money to spend. They'd be screwed like Utd if they were skint....

They actually are. If analysts are correct - over £400m in debt, prior to the latest spending spree. Think Philip posted a link to an article earlier

Archived