BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bolton (Home) Preview

jrabrfc

Blackburn Rovers vs Bolton Wanderers.

Date: TBA, probably Saturday, definitely this weekend, waiting on the FA!

This game was originally scheduled for the 22nd February, my birthday, and I was going to wax lyrical about looking forward to spending my 39th birthday watching some quality football at Ewood in a pretend local derby (invented by Sky/Setanta/ESPN) introduced as a ‘Lancashire Hot-Pot’.

As it turns out, Bolton and Spurs have drawn their FA Cup game and so our game against the Trotters is looking like it might be moved back the Saturday, which is a bonus, particularly for me because now I can have a drink or 6 to celebrate nearly being 40 after the game with it not being a school night.

So, on to the preview:

Bolton, who are ya?

We came up to the Premier League together in 2001. Bolton struggled in their first 2 seasons, battling against relegation both times, and then they found their feet and finished 8th in 2004, 6th in 2005, 8th in 2006, and 7th in 2007. Then Big Sam left, Sammy Lee took over and it all went rather pear-shaped for them. It seems wearing an ear piece is no guarantee of success as Bolton started 07/08 badly and Lee was potted in October with Gary Megson taking over. A big crowd favourite, the Ginger Mourinho managed to save Bolton from relegation but last season Bolton finished 13th in an unspectacular season and there was considerable unhappiness from the terraces about Bolton’s style of play (seem familiar?)

This season Bolton finally put Megson out of his misery in December after another poor start and then went after a former favourite crowd favourite, Owen “You’ll always be a Dingle” Coyle. His defection led to some wonderful scenes at the Turd, as Burnley’s once chance to stay up walked out of the door. Results haven’t been great under the new Messiah – only 1 win in 6 league games (against the Dingles) and Bolton are currently 19th, albeit with games in hand.

Previous games:

All time:

Blackburn Rovers wins draws Bolton Wanderers wins

League 52 33 56

FA Cup 4 4 4

League Cup 1 0 1

Total 57 37 61

Results since 2000:

2009/2010

PREM Bolton Wanderers 0-2 Blackburn Rovers 22-11-2009

2008/2009

PREM Blackburn Rovers 2-2 Bolton Wanderers 28-01-2009

PREM Bolton Wanderers 0-0 Blackburn Rovers 18-10-2008

2007/2008

PREM Blackburn Rovers 4-1 Bolton Wanderers 24-02-2008

PREM Bolton Wanderers 1-2 Blackburn Rovers 13-01-2008

2006/2007

PREM Bolton Wanderers 1-2 Blackburn Rovers 04-03-2007

PREM Blackburn Rovers 0-1 Bolton Wanderers 22-10-2006

2005/2006

PREM Blackburn Rovers 0-0 Bolton Wanderers 14-01-2006

PREM Bolton Wanderers 0-0 Blackburn Rovers 11-09-2005

2004/2005

PREM Blackburn Rovers 0-1 Bolton Wanderers 24-01-2005

PREM Bolton Wanderers 0-1 Blackburn Rovers 28-12-2004

2003/2004

PREM Blackburn Rovers 3-4 Bolton Wanderers 10-01-2004

PREM Bolton Wanderers 2-2 Blackburn Rovers 23-08-2003

2002/2003

PREM Blackburn Rovers 0-0 Bolton Wanderers 21-04-2003

PREM Bolton Wanderers 1-1 Blackburn Rovers 07-12-2002

2001/2002

PREM Bolton Wanderers 1-1 Blackburn Rovers 02-03-2002

PREM Blackburn Rovers 1-1 Bolton Wanderers 19-09-2001

2000/2001

FA Cup Blackburn Rovers 3-0 Bolton Wanderers 07-03-2001

Championship Bolton Wanderers 1-4 Blackburn Rovers 23-02-2001

FA Cup Bolton Wanderers 1-1 Blackburn Rovers 17-02-2001

Championship Blackburn Rovers 1-1 Bolton Wanderers 23-09-2000

1999/2000

Championship Bolton Wanderers 3-1 Blackburn Rovers 05-02-2000

Championship Blackburn Rovers 3-1 Bolton Wanderers 07-12-1999

We’ve had a good recent record against Bolton which we need to keep up for at least one more game.

Ones to watch for Bolton?

Jaskaaaaalaaaaaainen in goal is an underrated player. Has a nasty habit of saving penalties against us and generally plays well. He’s due a shocker soon.

Kevin Davies, the enigma wrapped in a mystery surrounded by 14 stones of footballer. Played well at Chesterfield and at Southampton, signed for Rovers and turned all Grabbi. Then he ends up at Bolton and becomes one of the more effective strikers in the Premiership. Fouls a lot, gets a lot of fouls and is a general nuisance.

The loss of Cahill is a big blow to Bolton; let’s hope we can take advantage of that with our lone striker, so probably not then.

Prediction?

One more win and we’ll have 34 points which will put us to the brink of safety. It would be nice to get Dunny back for this game to add some creativity. Plus, he tends to score against Bolton too and we need some horses for courses! Perhaps the break in Dubai will help breathe life into aching limbs.

I’d like to say this will be a free-flowing game but we all know it won’t be. With this game now likely to be on the weekend there might be a few more Rovers fans down there to create an atmosphere because we need to get behind the lads for this one. It’s a must-win game given the rest of the home games to come.

I’ll go for 4-3, but it’s likely to be 1-1. Enjoy, and let’s hope my birthday weekend gets a 3 point return!

Cheers,

James

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if this game will give Grella, Basturk and Dunn time to be available? Love to see this side:-

----------------------Kalinic

--------------------Pedersen

----Olsson---Basturk----Reid----Emerton

Chimbonda---Givet----Nelsen---Salgado

---------------------Robinson

I would want Basturk to drop off and try and pick up the ball from the defenders and start passing it, just like his mate Tugay. Reid would be in charge of 'enforcing' Savage style and getting forward. We really need that fluency added to our game.

I put Pedersen 'in the hole' as he is one of our few players who seem to be scoring goals.

Thanks for the preview.

Robinson

Salgado - Nelsen - Givet - Chimbonda

Hoilett - Reid - Nzonzi - Olsson

Kalinic - Di Santo

^ Won't happen in a trillion years, but I don't care. I'd like to see us make use of the pace we have and also see if Kalinic & Di Santo can form a partnership. No time like the present.

Sunday 12.00!?? WTF? Worst re-arrangement ever.

Yep, disgraceful money grabbing.

I'm not taking a day off work (can't even take half day due to the early KO) as the day is better off spent doing something interesting and meaningful in the summer

Can ST holders get their money back?

Ye it should be. ESPN have no other games scheduled for Sunday.

I can only assume that is why they have picked the time. They have Inter v Sampdoria down at the moment, but I think that is a repeat with the next live game at 2pm.

Yep, disgraceful money grabbing.

I'm not taking a day off work (can't even take half day due to the early KO) as the day is better off spent doing something interesting and meaningful in the summer

Can ST holders get their money back?

Agree 100%. What a ridiculous move. To be honest they should've left it where it was, on the Monday night, and made Bolton play on the Thursday, same as we had to against Villa after the Citeh game. Doing this really rubs my nose in it because they actually hinted on the Club site that, in the event of a Cup replay, the rearranged Rovers v Bolton fixture would probably be on the Saturday at 3pm.

I travel 500 miles to get to home games, and generally can only make the Saturday games. I'll be lucky if I end up seeing 10 games on my season ticket this bloody season.

I don't necessarily blame Rovers on this occasion, as I don't know the full circumstances of how they came to this decision, but there's probably been an assumption made somewhere that evryone lives locally, so the date and time aren't that relevant.

Amateurs.

Archived