BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bolton (Home) Preview

jrabrfc

like I said, the club is obviously thinking about Bolton more than the Rovers fans.

That's not true. They're thinking about the half a million pounds of revenue for being on television, we can't afford to let money like that pass us by. John Williams on the subject of the Bolton game:

“These television games are so important to our budget because every game is worth the best part of £500,000,” said Williams.

“That’s not the sort of money we can make from normal day-to-day activities.”

An early Sunday kick off is the only time the game could be played without clashing with other televised games.

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's not true. They're thinking about the half a million pounds of revenue for being on television, we can't afford to let money like that pass us by. John Williams on the subject of the Bolton game:

“These television games are so important to our budget because every game is worth the best part of £500,000,” said Williams.

“That’s not the sort of money we can make from normal day-to-day activities.”

An early Sunday kick off is the only time the game could be played without clashing with other televised games.

If the game had stayed for Monday, then we would still have received our 500k. I said the club is being more considerate towards Spurs vs Bolton, than our fans

The Bolton game could have been switched to Thursday, but it involves Spurs. Hence, why we have to take what is put in front of us, and accept it. The club gains, the fans suffer. drop a few more places, and the 500k gained will be wiped away as well. I know not very positive from me, but im for the fans.

If the game had stayed for Monday, then we would still have received our 500k. I said the club is being more considerate towards Spurs vs Bolton, than our fans

The Bolton game could have been switched to Thursday, but it involves Spurs. Hence, why we have to take what is put in front of us, and accept it. The club gains, the fans suffer. drop a few more places, and the 500k gained will be wiped away as well. I know not very positive from me, but im for the fans.

I suspect that the FA have insisted that the cup replays are on Tuesday or Wednesday. If that's the case then Monday is out of the window. The club then have to decide whether to play on Saturday or Sunday, with the latter giving us £500K extra income. Once the game had to be moved it was bound to inconvenience some people - whenever we play some fans won't be able to make it. If you have planned to be away for the weekend as you thought the match would be on the Monday then it doesn't matter whether it is played on Saturday or Sunday. At least now you can see it on TV.

As it happens I would have been OK on any day this weekend but I can't now go to the Birmingham game since it moved to 24th March.

PB - if you decide not to get a ST next season that's your choice but on the assumption you come to most games when you can you won't save any money.

very poor post Chris... Its not just about the kickoff time, or being on a Sunday. Many have made plans, booked rooms, made travel arrangements for the Monday. It would have been nice if the club, had been a little considerate of the fans instead of giving in so easily because they didnt want to lose the live tv game. If its more about the loss of money, and less about the fans, then im sorry but its a disgrace.

Mate it affects my plans....its my dads birthday so had plans for that, It will add about 40 miles to my journey & cost me £10 extra in fuel, it will also mean I need to sort a babysitter out and also waste 1hr in travel time for that....and What? If people cant make it, its always on the TV. Its just life, no point crying about it all is there.... :blink:

People bang on about Sunday league or whatever....say we lose 2000 walk-ons at £15 (£30k) by it being on at 12pm, hardly makes up for the £500k we will recieve from ESPN.

Football is a business aswell as a game. Fact not fiction. And most people on here would rather we had more money/ better players and the board have simply agreed the best deal to try and make that happen!

The club has no choice to be "considerate to Bolton" - we are given no choice, the FA Cup replays HAVE to be Tuesday or Wednesday next week, and FA Cup matches take priority over league matches at any stage of the season.

If its more about the loss of money, and less about the fans, then im sorry but its a disgrace.

Where have you been for the last 20 years or so, that is EXACTLY what football is about these days.

very poor post Chris... Its not just about the kickoff time, or being on a Sunday. Many have made plans, booked rooms, made travel arrangements for the Monday. It would have been nice if the club, had been a little considerate of the fans instead of giving in so easily because they didnt want to lose the live tv game. If its more about the loss of money, and less about the fans, then im sorry but its a disgrace.

Get a grip. They had to rearrange the game, it would have inconvinienced anyone who had plans for the monday. I reckon that there are more people who are now able to attend the game now that its on a sunday then if it had stayed on the monday.

If it had been moved to a saturday then it would still have meant that those people who had arranged transport/accomodation for monday would have been disrupted. I cannot understand why this is so hard to comprehend for some people.

People saying that it now means that those who play in the sunday league sides wont be able to go to the match, well what about those people who live outside Blackburn who wouldnt have been able to return home in time on a monday evening.. Of course its a shame but its not worth getting angry about.

I have football Monday night, so this is miles better for me. So Happy days!!!

It was Monday night, that was a pain for me. I would probably have missed part of the game but that is premier league football. Whichever date it was on would have upset some fans, just as the game being on Monday wasn;t great for me. Part of us having to take the TV revenue is because we charge so little for Season Tickets. If the club charged £500 plus for an ST then maybe they could pick the option which was best for the fans. Though to be honest which option is the best? Well it depends who you speak to........

Whatever the time or day this could be the last win we get this season.

The remaining games are tough and our away record is shocking.

3 points is very important and will at least take the pressure off.

1 more point after a win on Sunday might be enough this time.

(I do think we will win at Burnley though...even they know that deep down)

This is one of the few remaining home games where we can expect to get 3 points. After this game, we have the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and United coming to Ewood and those games will be extremely difficult to get anything from. We have been doing well at home and need to carry this form into this game. We should be fresh after a nice break and with Bolton being on a poor run of form, I think 3 points is a must and will go a long way to deciding our final league position.

...apart from the club, who lose out on £500k for not being able to broadcast the game on television.

And the fans as that 500k will help towards our budget for next season!

Whatever the time or day this could be the last win we get this season.

The remaining games are tough and our away record is shocking.

Birmingham & Everton at home have to be targetted as home wins too given our home record.

Away from home we have Burnley, Wolves, Pompey who we should be trying to beat, aswell as targetting draws at Spurs & Liverpool.

Lets stop so much negativity on this board and have a little more faith in our club! We have 12 games to reach the magical 40 point mark which is just 9 points away!

Away from home we have Burnley, Wolves, Pompey who we should be trying to beat, aswell as targetting draws at Spurs & Liverpool.

Lets stop so much negativity on this board and have a little more faith in our club! We have 12 games to reach the magical 40 point mark which is just 9 points away!

I like your optimism, but Hughesy we cannot expect anything away with our record. Draws at Spurs and Liverpool are pipe dreams going on this seasons form which is why our home matches are so crucial.

Beat Bolton and I think we're literally safe as we'll at least pick up another point or two and probably a win against Big Club. I'm just hoping that Sam takes the shackles off the players once we are safe and we can come out of these away matches with our pride in tact.

I like your optimism, but Hughesy we cannot expect anything away with our record. Draws at Spurs and Liverpool are pipe dreams going on this seasons form which is why our home matches are so crucial.

Beat Bolton and I think we're literally safe as we'll at least pick up another point or two and probably a win against Big Club. I'm just hoping that Sam takes the shackles off the players once we are safe and we can come out of these away matches with our pride in tact.

Our record against the dingles and the way the lads reacted to the pressure earlier in the season say's to me we will come away with 3 points. A draw will be like a win to our inbred friends down the road. Sam will have the lads fired up again. Wolves has got to be one to go out to win and Pompey the same for me, these are two teams that will have to have a go which will open them up for us to attack. Birmingham at home is a winnable game too.

I also think we'll pick up a point or two against the better sides but Bolton on Sunday is crucial, win that and the pressure really is on those below us to play catch up, we'll be playing for our position from then on. An extra £2m or so at the end of the season through our position will help our club no end.

The reason why the TV money is now a different matter........

"The home game against Bolton - originally scheduled for Monday night - has been switched to this Sunday at noon to enable Rovers to retain the television fee of almost £500,000, although it has emerged that the visitors will not pick up any fee for the game.

Each Premier League team is guaranteed close to £6m for 10 televised games at the start of the season - whether the full 10 matches are screened or not - and only when clubs get above that figure of 10 do they start to earn in the region of £500,000 extra per game.

Rovers have now had 11 televised matches confirmed this season, while Bolton have currently only had six scheduled and Lancashire rivals Burnley have eight games pencilled in." LT

Rovers have now had 11 televised matches confirmed this season, while Bolton have currently only had six scheduled and Lancashire rivals Burnley have eight games pencilled in." LT

Where do they get 11 televised games from? As far as I can remember we have had: -

Arsenal (a)

Burnley (h)

Chelsea (a)

Man Utd (a)

Bolton (a)

Birmingham (a)

Man City (a)

Aston Villa (h)

Aston Villa (a)

To come: -

Bolton (a)

Spurs (a)

Burnley (a)

Bolton would be 10th assuming the two League Cup games with Villa count, with two more already scheduled. No doubt with United, Chelsea and arsenal still to come to Ewood there are likely to be 1 or 2 more.

Incidentally it's interesting to see that 10 of the 12 games so far have been away, only one home league game. Good for Rovers fans although given our away form not great for the neutral TV viewer.

Archived