BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bolton (Home) Preview

jrabrfc

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You were wrong though--ironically! TV replays showed that it was an intended cross and actually travelling away from goal when it hit Myhill's leg. That's why it will stand as an own goal. Still brilliant stuff from Olsson though.

I don't think it was anything but a goalbound attempt. The lad hit the by-line and drilled it across the goal but aimed at the target. It was going in, it may have hit Myhillon the way. But it HAS to be Olsson's goal. He caused the ball to go in. Any deflection made no difference.

Just making sure you weren't mistaken.

I'm not going to go search for various reports, but here's just an example from the Premier League site: http://www.premierleague.com/page/MatchReports/0,,12306~47993,00.html

I'll admit, I'm being a bit picky here, but just the way they describe the goal as Olsson "scampering down the left" and "the final touch coming off Myhill, for an own goal" completely tones down the brilliance involved in that goal, whether you see it as a fluke or not. As a fan, I want to see Olsson's efforts rewarded with greater attention from the press in general, but instead it seems to me like his goal was brushed aside.

Maybe neutrals just didn't find it as exciting as I did... I was overjoyed when I saw him score it, but most of the press reports didn't really reflect what I felt.

I'm not going to go search for various reports, but here's just an example from the Premier League site: http://www.premierleague.com/page/MatchReports/0,,12306~47993,00.html

I'll admit, I'm being a bit picky here, but just the way they describe the goal as Olsson "scampering down the left" and "the final touch coming off Myhill, for an own goal" completely tones down the brilliance involved in that goal, whether you see it as a fluke or not. As a fan, I want to see Olsson's efforts rewarded with greater attention from the press in general, but instead it seems to me like his goal was brushed aside.

Maybe neutrals just didn't find it as exciting as I did... I was overjoyed when I saw him score it, but most of the press reports didn't really reflect what I felt.

You're being very very picky here. I dont know how you can live life given how you're disecting every word written in these match reports.

You say that 'scampering down the left' is toning down the brilliance of a goal then i think you've crossed a line between whats legitimate criticism of so called media 'bias' and whats just being pedantic.

You could throw the same accusations towards any journalist writing about any club from any match.

You're being very very picky here. I dont know how you can live life given how you're disecting every word written in these match reports.

You say that 'scampering down the left' is toning down the brilliance of a goal then i think you've crossed a line between whats legitimate criticism of so called media 'bias' and whats just being pedantic.

You could throw the same accusations towards any journalist writing about any club from any match.

To quote myself:

"I agree, it's a bit too easy to interpret words in a negative way as has been the case in the past on here. It has to be said though that it does draw ire from a lot of fans and understandably so."

If I was highly impressed by something from my team and a report was far from describing it that way, then I will be disappointed. Is that fair enough? I do agree that it's too easy to interpret something in a negative way and I was giving the Olsson thing as an example where I'm guilty of it myself.

I don't think it was anything but a goalbound attempt. The lad hit the by-line and drilled it across the goal but aimed at the target. It was going in, it may have hit Myhillon the way. But it HAS to be Olsson's goal. He caused the ball to go in. Any deflection made no difference.

It definitely wasn't going in.

So you are off the hook then? A narrow squeak but well done, the background grovelling must have worked. :tu:

You obviously took my earlier warning on board and have reallised where your bread is buttered in these parts. Can I suggest a change of board name?

How does "Teflon Nixon" sound? B)

Teflon Tony has a better ring to it Theno'

How about Slippery Nixon

Archived