BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Train Station For Ewood And South Blackburn

cruz

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why bother with a train 'to Ewood' anyway? Just get off at Blackburn and walk it. It's only 1.5 miles.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there young Mellison! Never have I thought 'If only I could get the train to the Rovers'. With the ground so close to the M65, the town centre and Darwen there is no need for a station.

You can get a cab from Accy area for a couple of quid each, there is the Rovers special bus service from Darwen for a couple of quid each, a cab from the town centre will only cost you around a fiver.

Why bother with a train 'to Ewood' anyway? Just get off at Blackburn and walk it. It's only 1.5 miles.

Agreed. It would be better to try to increase parking than build a station. As you say people can walk. But can also use the bus, share a car, taxi fair. Or even improve mill hill. Though I think the idea is to improve the congestion too and from ewood. It is alright having a train station at Ewood Park, but would people actually use it to go to the matches. We are all creatures of habit and would probable go to the match the same way as we do now. Or the day the train is late, too over crowded, people would revert back to their old ways. I can see why people would want a station at Ewood Park, but is there really a need.

When I come to Rovers from the south of the uk I always stay in travelodge ( when the £19 - £29 deals are on of course) in Darwen and either walk or get the bus to the ground, without any hardship. But no longer living in Blackburn I do not know what other benefits a station at ewood park would bring. If it is just for matches, then a waste of money in my view.

Agreed. It would be better to try to increase parking than build a station. As you say people can walk. But can also use the bus, share a car, taxi fair. Or even improve mill hill. Though I think the idea is to improve the congestion too and from ewood. It is alright having a train station at Ewood Park, but would people actually use it to go to the matches. We are all creatures of habit and would probable go to the match the same way as we do now. Or the day the train is late, too over crowded, people would revert back to their old ways. I can see why people would want a station at Ewood Park, but is there really a need.

When I come to Rovers from the south of the uk I always stay in travelodge ( when the £19 - £29 deals are on of course) in Darwen and either walk or get the bus to the ground, without any hardship. But no longer living in Blackburn I do not know what other benefits a station at ewood park would bring. If it is just for matches, then a waste of money in my view.

You can only walk to the ground without hardship when it isn't ****ing down!

being a non Blackburn based rover as it were, I don't see the need for a train station at Ewood. Whenever I get the train I just walk, it is hardly far to warrant the cost of a station.

More importantly concerning trains is that the transpennine route from Leeds to Blackpool seems to stop at about 9pm - this means that most of the time I am unlikely to attend midweek evening games.

I wonder how many fans this stops coming to games? probably not enough to warrant a later train, but it is still annoying

being a non Blackburn based rover as it were, I don't see the need for a train station at Ewood. Whenever I get the train I just walk, it is hardly far to warrant the cost of a station.

More importantly concerning trains is that the transpennine route from Leeds to Blackpool seems to stop at about 9pm - this means that most of the time I am unlikely to attend midweek evening games.

I wonder how many fans this stops coming to games? probably not enough to warrant a later train, but it is still annoying

Sam

Totally unrelated but just seen your above post. I live in Halifax, so if there's ever a midweek game you can't get to, then get in touch and I'll gladly pick you up and drop you off in Halifax both before and after the game.

Cheers

Sam

Totally unrelated but just seen your above post. I live in Halifax, so if there's ever a midweek game you can't get to, then get in touch and I'll gladly pick you up and drop you off in Halifax both before and after the game.

Cheers

Ok cool thanks mate, that's certainly an option!

much appreciated :tu:

Would they not be better putting more trains to Mill Hill on match days? It is only a small walk away.

Where do trains into Mill Hill come from? The point about the other station is that it would be on the Clitheroe Mnachester line and thus make it easier for people from the Ribble Valley or from Darwen direction to get to Ewood. No point if you have to change to get to Mill Hill. then you might as well walk.

Where do trains into Mill Hill come from? The point about the other station is that it would be on the Clitheroe Mnachester line and thus make it easier for people from the Ribble Valley or from Darwen direction to get to Ewood. No point if you have to change to get to Mill Hill. then you might as well walk.

I don't think it needs making easier for people from Darwen to get to the game really do you? Honestly, they'll be wanting us to wake them up on the day of the game and get them dressed next! I hope they move Oswaltwistle train station to the opposite end of Oswaldtwistle to make it easier for me to get to the new station at Ewood Park.

If Mill Hill Station, or even Cherry Tree isn't good enough for a club the size of ours then we're really struggling! Blackburn Station in the town centre couldn't be much easier to get to.

How many actually get the train from Clitheroe way on match day?

Car parks is what we need.

Correct. While there may be reasons for a railway station at Ewood I can't see +/- 24 games a season is any justification. I have no idea where the bulk of our support comes from but if the queue on Livesey Branch Road after a game is anything to go by a lot come from the general Chorley area. I can't see a train being any help to those fans.

Decent park and ride is the solution. I'd much rather get a coach / bus from Chorley to Ewood than spend ages in traffic.

I don't think it needs making easier for people from Darwen to get to the game really do you? Honestly, they'll be wanting us to wake them up on the day of the game and get them dressed next! I hope they move Oswaltwistle train station to the opposite end of Oswaldtwistle to make it easier for me to get to the new station at Ewood Park.

If Mill Hill Station, or even Cherry Tree isn't good enough for a club the size of ours then we're really struggling! Blackburn Station in the town centre couldn't be much easier to get to.

How many actually get the train from Clitheroe way on match day?

Hence why i said Darwen direction. There are places beyond Darwen believe it or not :) As for how many come from the Ribble Valley who might come by train if it were easier I don't know. I was just asking because I've no idea where the line through Mill Hill goes. Car parks aren't really the answer unless you improve access and more importantly exits from them. We've been known to take an hour to get out of the existing car park because of the road system and never get away in under half an hour even after a poorly attended night match.

And I'd agree that decent park and ride might solve some problems. They gave it free to away fans at St Mary's when we went to Southampton. Wouldn't mind paying for it along with a season ticket if that were a possiblity. Park on the outskirts and come in on a bus - why not. Works well at Hull too.

It's on the line from Preston to Blackburn and only the stopping trains from Blackpool South to Colne stop there - about 1 an hour I think. You're right about not being much use for those in the Ribble Valley unless they ran specials to Mill Hill, but again it's doubtful that the demand is there.

I think the idea behind this campaign is to make the case for a station in south Blackburn, which could double up as one for Ewood, rather than just being for football games. If a site can be found within walking distance of Ewood that can also provide a decent sized car park so that it can be used as a park and ride for people going to Bolton and Manchester then it might have some economic future. There must be people in the Blackburn area who would use the train more often if they didn't have to get themselves into the town centre first.

Re car parks and possible match day park and rides, Blackburn council are currently doing a survey of public transport in the borough and are keen to get the views of fans coming to Ewood. Someone from the council will be coming to the next but one Fans Forum in April to talk about this and I intend to raise the subject of park and ride there. Any ideas welcome before then.

It's on the line from Preston to Blackburn and only the stopping trains from Blackpool South to Colne stop there - about 1 an hour I think. You're right about not being much use for those in the Ribble Valley unless they ran specials to Mill Hill, but again it's doubtful that the demand is there.

Thanks for that - so it wouldn't be much use as a station to serve Ewood from anywhere currently although it's fairly close. Unless of course more trains stopped there on match days, but then that would presumably have timetable implications all over the place with connections that currently should meet not being met.

We currently buy a car parking ticket when we buy our season ticket so a reasonably priced bolt on for park and ride which meant we could avoid having to drive from the Ribble Valley side of Blackburn to Ewood and could get away from the ground relatively quickly would be a real advantage to us.

I thought the government wanted to get people off the roads & onto public transport? :huh:

A simple platform built along the existing line at Ewood Park surely wouldn`t break the bank. It would encourage football fans from the Ribble Valley & Manchester areas (& beyond) to leave the car at home & jump on the train to the match.

I personally think a 'rail stop' or a simple platform at Ewood Park would be good for Blackburn Rovers. OK so it won`t happen, but it would be a great plus point for the club when it`s marketing itself. i.e....

M65 link only a mile up the road

Rail link next to ground

Proposed bus terminal next to ground.

As for the 'we need more carparks' debate. Have you seen the amount of parking space around Ewood? :huh: There`s tons of spaces!! Not many clubs have the spaces Rovers have. Look at Ewood on google earth. More carparking spaces isn`t the answer.....it`s better public transport links.

Looking at it on a broader note, Ewood Park is only used for football probably 20-22 times a year. That`s 340+ days it isn`t being used.....a lot of days the carparks are just empty. I think the ground could be used much more than it currently is.

But we don't call Bus stops 'road stops' do we? We don't call taxi ranks 'road ranks'. I'll call it what I want thanks. And train station is very slightly easier to say with one syllable less wink.giftongue.gif

"Train" station is an Americanism.

So unless you are American please give it its correct name of railway station.

I thought the government wanted to get people off the roads & onto public transport? huh.gif

A simple platform built along the existing line at Ewood Park surely wouldn`t break the bank. It would encourage football fans from the Ribble Valley & Manchester areas (& beyond) to leave the car at home & jump on the train to the match.

A railway station for Ewood is a good idea and they can be built quickly and cheaply as shown by the emergency stations erected after the floods in Workington this winter but it won't happen because the DfT is pro roads and anti-rail.

Have you noticed how the ones who are against the railway station don't come from the Blackburn area? Whereas us Blackburners, Darreners and the Valley people want it. Usual case of everybody knows what's best for us, but we don't.

I'm from Darwen and it's a pointless idea. The money would be better spent elsewhere. Althugh the Park and Ride suggestion appeals. It would perhaps run from the BwD services, as has been said?

"Train" station is an Americanism.

So unless you are American please give it its correct name of railway station.

A railway station for Ewood is a good idea and they can be built quickly and cheaply as shown by the emergency stations erected after the floods in Workington this winter but it won't happen because the DfT is pro roads and anti-rail.

Sorry to disillusion you there Jim, but there are absolutely NO railway stations in Scotland. They are universally known and referred to as "train stations" by the entire population there. It took me a while to get used to it too, but now I can't imagine it any other way.wink.gif

Archived