BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Winter Olympics

Been watching the Olympics the past few days/nights. Always enjoy it. Men's downhill is going on right now - good run by Bode, but so far only in third (looks like might go back to 4th).

Highlight for me has been during the ski jumping part of the nordic combined, the Eurosport announcer starting screaming about one jumper having a "disaster" of a jump. 2 minutes of going on about how bad of a jump: "Apologies, that was a test jumper." (Probably had to be there.)

Wish I could watch the Eurosport coverage, here we get NBC's Human Interest Piece coverage, Not to mention that the USA vs. Canada Hockey Match is being aired on MSNBC because NBC is showing Ice Dancing at that time...

I love the Olympics, granted the Summer games are far bigger, but they are always good to watch. However the American coverage absolutely grates me. It's all silly stories and violins.

BBC coverage is just as bad. At least with NBC, you get several channels that end up showing you everything that is going on at a given time during the day.

Pretty sure that NBC has pretty good live online coverage as well.

BBC coverage is just as bad. At least with NBC, you get several channels that end up showing you everything that is going on at a given time during the day.

You can watch virtually everything on the BBC website, they have at least 4/5 streams on the go, provided you're in the UK obviously.

Did anyone else catch the snowboarding?? Highlight of the games so far. As a spectacle I cant think of many sports that can match that.

I've seen some of it. I was watching the down hill skiing earlier and saw some of the short track speed skating and the highlights of the womens moguls. I'm really looking forward to the ice hockey. Canada are obviously the favourites, but I think the Russians will win it. They have stellar goal tending in San Jose's Evgeni Nabokov. In defense the likes of Sergi Gonchar, Anton Volchenkov and Andrei Markov, bring a combination of skill, size, good puck movement and quarterbacking the power play. However it's in the forwards that the Russians are a cut above everyone else. They can ice two top lines consisting of Alexander Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin, Pavel Datsyuk, Alexander Semin, Ilya Kovalchuk and anyone from else from Maxim Afinogenov, Alexander Radulov, Sergi Federov, Alexei Morozov and Viktor Kozlov. If they click, I see them blowing everyone out of the water. As the saying goes, forwards win games, goalies and defense win championships and with Nabokov (who's as good as Martin Brodeur IMO) in goal, solid defense and the most ridiculous assortment of forwards, I see them winning gold.

My dark horses for a medal are Slovakia. I really like this team and think that they get no where near enough credit. People talk about them looking to break into the big six, along with Canada, USA, Russia, Czech Republic, Finland and Sweden. However, I don't see how it isn't seen as a big seven. They now have a genuine top goalie in Jaroslav Halak, who's displaced Carey Price as the Montreal Canadiens number one. Peter Budaj, who plays for the Colorado Avalanche, although still not living up to his undoubted potential, is a fantastic backup goalie. Defensively they look superb, with superstar Zdeno Chara of the Boston Bruins being the rock. Other genuine stars that man the defense are Lubomir Visnovsky of the Edmonton Oilers and Andrej Meszaros, who plays for the Tampa Bay Lightning. The Columbus Blue Jacket's Milan Jurcina is a solid player on defense, who makes few mistakes and is a great shot blocker, while the Buffalo Sabre's Andrej Sekera is star in the making. Like the Russians, its in the forwards that the Slovaks really stand out. Marian Gaborik and Marian Hossa are two of the most ridiculously gifted forwards in the world and compare to anything that the other teams have got. Add the outrageously Pavol Demitra to the equation, along with long time NHLers like Miroslav Satan, Michael Handzus and those who now play in back in Europe like Ziggy Palffy, Richard Zednik and Jozef Stumpel, then Slovakia will have no trouble scoring. What I also like about this team, is that despite having only two lines that can do the scoring, they have looked to the likes of Richard Zednik, Marcel Hossa and Branko Radivojevic (out of a lack of options as well) to do the dirty work down low, that goes un-noticed. On the North American sized rinks and against the likes of Russia (who they convincingly beat at the last Olympics), you need players who can shut down the other teams best forward players. I don't see them winning gold, but I can see them doing well and I don't believe a silver or a bronze is out of the question.

@SamTheLeedsRover- Good to see another Rovers/Pens fan, despite Crosby and Marc-Andre, and Geno and Gonch, I gotta Root for my country so its Brooks Orpik and USA for me! I'll root for Russia if it comes down to them and Canada, but I think Sweeden is gonna take it everyone is overlooking them.

@RoyRovers - The Rinks are Olympic Sized, larger than NHL I believe... Is there a difference between these and the Euro Rinks?***

***nevermind I looked up and found that the Rinks will be NHL sized this olympics for the first time...

You can watch virtually everything on the BBC website, they have at least 4/5 streams on the go, provided you're in the UK obviously.

Did anyone else catch the snowboarding?? Highlight of the games so far. As a spectacle I cant think of many sports that can match that.

Snowboarding cross, the one where the Yank won on the line by about an inch? It was great to watch....

Gutted its on so late here, love watching the ski jumps. When is the UK's first decent medal hope?!

I suspect that it's only me and the Norwegian fans that are watching the biathlon. As far as I know the BBC has completely ignored it so far but there's good coverage on Eurosport.

For those who don't know it, it's a combination of cross-country skiing and shooting and makes great TV. It's also on at sensible times in the UK - Mens and womens pursuits tonight live from 6.30.

Wish I could watch the Eurosport coverage, here we get NBC's Human Interest Piece coverage, Not to mention that the USA vs. Canada Hockey Match is being aired on MSNBC because NBC is showing Ice Dancing at that time...

Will this be online? MSNBC's website is excellent.

I've not seen BBC coverage for years. I will say that NBC are now (and did in 2008) doing a much better job, on their affiliate channels. Channel NBC is still horrible; adverts at weird times, cutting to the studio to listen to some journo. Walking around town with Jason Priestley, it never ends.

Biathlon is great. I'm not a fan of snowboard cross though.

I suspect that it's only me and the Norwegian fans that are watching the biathlon. As far as I know the BBC has completely ignored it so far but there's good coverage on Eurosport.

For those who don't know it, it's a combination of cross-country skiing and shooting and makes great TV. It's also on at sensible times in the UK - Mens and womens pursuits tonight live from 6.30.

That was on the BBC im sure. If you go online to the BBC website they have at least 3/4 streams showing basically everything that is going on. The Snowboard cross has set the bar pretty high so far. Is the Biathlon where they have to do two loops of a circuit and shoot at a target twice and if they miss the targets they get time penalties? That was a good watch if its the one you're talking about.

That was on the BBC im sure. If you go online to the BBC website they have at least 3/4 streams showing basically everything that is going on. The Snowboard cross has set the bar pretty high so far. Is the Biathlon where they have to do two loops of a circuit and shoot at a target twice and if they miss the targets they get time penalties? That was a good watch if its the one you're talking about.

Not live it wasn't. They may well have covered the highlights. You're almost right - they ski a number of laps of a circuit and then in between shoot at five targets, both prone and standing. The number of laps depends on the length. Womens' pursuit was on at 6.30 - Magdalena Neuner from Germany won. The mens is at 8.45 and most unusually there will be a Brit in, although he will do very well to finish in the top 40. The Steve Redgrave of Biathlon, Ole Einar Bjorndaelen from Norway will be going but doesn't have a great chance - the order of start is as the result of Saturday's sprint so he's well down. Never rule him out though.

I love the winter games, prefer them to the summer ones. Haven't been able to catch the Curling yet, but I love the snow board and skiing events. Snowboard Cross was brilliant, very close final in the mens. I was hoping Jacobellis would make it through to the womens final after the last final but Ricker was just unstoppable.

I love the winter games, prefer them to the summer ones. Haven't been able to catch the Curling yet, but I love the snow board and skiing events. Snowboard Cross was brilliant, very close final in the mens. I was hoping Jacobellis would make it through to the womens final after the last final but Ricker was just unstoppable.

I feel better watching the Summer games.....because it's in the summer and I can ignore it while sunbathing or if I'm on holiday! I don't watch these kind of things really unless something cool happens (a la Usain Bolt)

Archived