BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] English Club Linked With Ipl Franchise

brfcs5359

I see a 'top 3' EPL team is thinking of biding for a IPL franchise. Given the corporate insatiable financial monster football is, could the next untapped market be summer sport in the form of close season IPL games? I reckon it may be City ( not top 3) and their owners. Perhaps looking personally (non-City), perhaps looking commercially (Man City IPL). We'll see when they announce the IPL details and if it has football/City connections. It would certainly give City heads up in the sub continent. I do not like Gary Cooke and this would be straight out of his playbook.

From a football point of view (this is a football MB!) is this potentially a cash generator in the wider commercial sense? IPL is $mega+telephone+numbers 'squared', despite football fans scoffing at it's English counterpart, scones and tea over balls and googlies.

20/20 is big. Cricket needs a mass UK audience. If City are the IPL bidders would Rovers fans be happy to be part of another 'rolling ball'. That an English IPL may be franchised. Maybe run by football clubs. Even played at football grounds in summer as a revenue generator with EPL branding, naming rights. Far fetched maybe. Bigger than IPL, possibly. Not as far fetched when pitched in those terms, ie $filthy+lucre. Lots of it. Enough to price out the biggest Euro millions winner, many an EPL chairman and jailed Texan (former) billionaires. Something that may be exclusive to Forbes richest+, oh and EPL football clubs.

Sport is moving fast. The age of the franchise is upon us. Glaziers, Hicks/Gillet, Learner, Arabs, oh and lowly MK Dons!

The current English 20/20 is played over 3 weeks. If it was played at Ewood (or alternate) June and July in a short fanfare of a midweek League against Man U et al with international TV who would pay £many_millions would it make money? Probably. Money that would not cross subidise football other than stadia/merchandise benefits. I can hear Cooke now, forget the short boundaries, just look at the bigger scores on the scoreboard, more runs per buck!

Just a thought of where this may end up given the scramble for world wide TV merchandise sports dollar and the search for that dollar by the English version of IPL.

I see a 'top 3' EPL team is thinking of biding for a IPL franchise. Given the corporate insatiable financial monster football is, could the next untapped market be summer sport in the form of close season IPL games? I reckon it may be City ( not top 3) and their owners. Perhaps looking personally (non-City), perhaps looking commercially (Man City IPL). We'll see when they announce the IPL details and if it has football/City connections. It would certainly give City heads up in the sub continent. I do not like Gary Cooke and this would be straight out of his playbook.

From a football point of view (this is a football MB!) is this potentially a cash generator in the wider commercial sense? IPL is $mega+telephone+numbers 'squared', despite football fans scoffing at it's English counterpart, scones and tea over balls and googlies.

20/20 is big. Cricket needs a mass UK audience. If City are the IPL bidders would Rovers fans be happy to be part of another 'rolling ball'. That an English IPL may be franchised. Maybe run by football clubs. Even played at football grounds in summer as a revenue generator with EPL branding, naming rights. Far fetched maybe. Bigger than IPL, possibly. Not as far fetched when pitched in those terms, ie $filthy+lucre. Lots of it. Enough to price out the biggest Euro millions winner, many an EPL chairman and jailed Texan (former) billionaires. Something that may be exclusive to Forbes richest+.

Sport is moving fast. The age of the franchise is upon us. Glaziers, Hicks/Gillet, Learner, Arabs, oh and lowly MK Dons!

The current English 20/20 is played over 3 weeks. If it was played at Ewood (or alternate) June and July in a short fanfare of a midweek League against Man U et al with international TV who would pay £many_millions would it make money?

Just a thought of where this may end up given the scramble for world wide TV merchandise sports dollar and the search for that dollar by the English version of IPL.

Yu reckon it may be Citeh, because it IS Citeh according to most sources I've seen. All one of them!

I don't see why not, most Spanish clubs have Sports centres attached Basketball, Handball etc it is only logical that a Manchester City IPL team could exist.

Howis it logical? When has a team in one sport owned a team in a completely another sport in another country? That would be a world first I think.

Although something about it seems like it could well be the way of the future. Creating vast multi-sport brand networks. I could see how that would operate as it would make competition in sport more obviousand immediate - like International football is - becuase you know who you are supporting.

A bit sickening. But if you had a Blackburn Rovers team playing Union how many more of you would be drawn into following egg chasing on top of football? I know for me it would be more appealing...

I don't see why not, most Spanish clubs have Sports centres attached Basketball, Handball etc it is only logical that a Manchester City IPL team could exist.

Isn't that how they developed in the first place? ie Barcelona Sport Club, which had different sports clubs under it. It is quite common in Germany as well I think.

But this is a bit different. I wonder what Lancashire CCC would make of it if Man City were awarded an IPL franchise.

Isn't that how they developed in the first place? ie Barcelona Sport Club, which had different sports clubs under it. It is quite common in Germany as well I think.

But this is a bit different. I wonder what Lancashire CCC would make of it if Man City were awarded an IPL franchise.

I think egg chasing would have a different impact in different places. The egg chasing dollar is limited and spent? The 20/20-IPL dollar is still out there? Plus 20/20 is a 'product' with a short calendar. I can't see Abu Dhabi wanting to invest in Dingle's Rugby Club? Where's the new margins?

Lancashire CCC are so small to Man City. Is it not Kerry Packer times a million verses Australian Cricket Board? The ACB thought fatefully the WS1 played on rough quagmires of Aussy Rules would make KP-WS farcial. Fair enough no-one turned up to WS1 but by WS2 it was game over, TV wins, ACB lose. A momentus moment when top sport stopped being amateur and became money, entertainment.

I guess they'd be worried times up as far as Cricket Major League being 'Cricket', realising that they are lacking the where with all to establish such a formidable corporate entity as the IPL or EPL.

I'd say Barca and German counterparts are multi-sport for community, participative reasons, or at least began like that. The man City IPL appears to be for purely commercial reasons or a plaything of the City owners.

Maybe like Hants they would end up as a Manchester / Lancashire franchise ??

Howis it logical? When has a team in one sport owned a team in a completely another sport in another country? That would be a world first I think.

I don't think so. Didn't the Hall family try this with Newcastle United and ice hockey, rugby and something else...............not a great example to the resty though!

I raised the question of closer ties between football and cricket years ago. At the time my thinking was Rovers should have closer ties with LCCC perhaps offering joint STs.

Like someone has already pointed out with the barca example.

It is VERY common in europe, I remember reading(looking at the pictures) Wisla Krakow programm and it had loads of different sports teams that they had in competition.

I don't think so. Didn't the Hall family try this with Newcastle United and ice hockey, rugby and something else...............not a great example to the resty though!

I raised the question of closer ties between football and cricket years ago. At the time my thinking was Rovers should have closer ties with LCCC perhaps offering joint STs.

Doesn't Dave Whelan own both Wigan Athletic and Wigan Warriors?

Like someone has already pointed out with the barca example.

It is VERY common in europe, I remember reading(looking at the pictures) Wisla Krakow programm and it had loads of different sports teams that they had in competition.

I recognise that. But it is always under the same single location "brand" - Barcelona, Panathaniakos, Krakow.

What is massively different is that is it a football team in one location owning a cricket side literally the other side of the world.

I suppose the closest paralell would be Man U and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Although I don't think structurally they are intertwined at all, they just happen to be owned by the same family.

Nup. Ian Lenegan bought Wigan Rugby in 2007. They are two very separate entities that just happen to play in the same stadium.

Beat me to it although they dont share DW WE kindly let latics play with their ball there.....well that's how I like to see it anyway!

Cleveland Browns (NFL) and Aston Villa are the same ownership group, like you said the Glaziers own Man U and Tampa Bay, Is this just the ownership group owning both teams or is this Team going to be Citah Cricket India? I don't see how it is very valuable to have a huge amount of fans overseas, I mean a Man United Fan in the US can't earn the club 1/10th of what a fan in England can earn the club, can they? Maybe they are building the Man City brand to give themselves new places for summer tours... I dunno I don't see the point of Manchester City Cricket Club India...

Cleveland Browns (NFL) and Aston Villa are the same ownership group, like you said the Glaziers own Man U and Tampa Bay, Is this just the ownership group owning both teams or is this Team going to be Citah Cricket India? I don't see how it is very valuable to have a huge amount of fans overseas, I mean a Man United Fan in the US can't earn the club 1/10th of what a fan in England can earn the club, can they? Maybe they are building the Man City brand to give themselves new places for summer tours... I dunno I don't see the point of Manchester City Cricket Club India...

They (new fans) won't give the club as much money as English fans, but it's pennies and pounds nonetheless. This kind of expansion could prove invaluable to a club. I only hope Rovers stay as they are though: The most successful town team in England and that wee team up in the lower reaches of wettest England.

I always think though that things like this are little short of a gimmick. The reason why Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal and Real Madrid have such a big following all over the world is because they've been sucessful for a long time. Buying a IPL franchise isn't going to make City take over the whole of the rest of the world at all. I remember a few years ago when Man City payed Everton, it was supposed to be the game with the most watched game in Chinese history because Sun Ji Hi was playing for City and Li Tie for Everton. But it is hardly as if either of them have conquered China and become rich because of it.

I always think though that things like this are little short of a gimmick. The reason why Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal and Real Madrid have such a big following all over the world is because they've been sucessful for a long time. Buying a IPL franchise isn't going to make City take over the whole of the rest of the world at all. I remember a few years ago when Man City payed Everton, it was supposed to be the game with the most watched game in Chinese history because Sun Ji Hi was playing for City and Li Tie for Everton. But it is hardly as if either of them have conquered China and become rich because of it.

Fair point!

An English IPL is a gimmick anyway. 20/20 is a gimmick. I think there is some merit in the EPL franchising the game in partnership with ECB for a 5 week evening summerfest in (unused) football stadia, pitches permitting. I can't see Rovers v Man U 20/20 at Haslingden (for eg a big local ground) with the beer tents overflowing and the crowds mixing. Then again!

I think if Sachin Tendulker is bought for £2million for Rovers for example, people will come.

The thing is, it is just a few weeks for a couple hours one or two evenings for a laugh (family entertainment) in the summer. Over not long after it starts so it's not a takeover, but a piggyback promotion.

Archived