BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] London

Going down to london for a mini break next week for my birthday.

Staying in the hilton next to wembley.

Things I have planned to do at the moment;

London Eye

London aquarium

Wembley tour

Absolut Ice bar

What other things are there to do and see, and any good restaurants for eating if anyone could recommend any . Thanks.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure how long you're about but for a change of scene 'Little Venice' is just a few stops away from you on the Bakerloo Line (The stop is 'Warwick Avenue'). This has plenty of nice little restaurants, and offers a different vibe to the city centre.

I also highly recommend going on one of these... Duck Tour.

Not sure how long you're about but for a change of scene 'Little Venice' is just a few stops away from you on the Bakerloo Line (The stop is 'Warwick Avenue'). This has plenty of nice little restaurants, and offers a different vibe to the city centre.

I've spent a significant amount of time staying in Maida Vale and overlooking the Regents Canal. It's delightful but not really what I would recommend for SAS who is only there for the weekend. Apart from the narrow boat cruises from Jason's wharf, Little Venice to Campden Lock through Regents Park and London Zoo (great for kids) there is precious little to see and do as it's mainly residential. I'd imagine SAS would be better served around Piccadilly Circus and the Trocadero at nights, very touristy but that's what he's there for I assume.

If I were you SAS if you have not been before and want to take in the major sights I'd take the underground** to Green Park in the morning and walk through to Buckingham Palace, down the Mall and through Admiralty Arch to Westminster and see No10, Big Ben and the Palace at Westminster. Find some lunch and make sure that you take in the Covent Garden Market during the afternoon (I think Sunday afternoons best). Lots of street theatre and all manner of interesting stuff to see and do.

Also I really enjoyed a river boat trip from the Tower of London up river. I found it really interesting as the 'driver' pointed out all the important buildings lining the Thames. Never done an open top bus but they always seem very popular in nice weather. Never done the London Eye either but that comes well recommended too.

**Check first to see if you can get an 'all day' ticket for the underground from Wembley so that you can hop on and off the underground to your hearts content without paying every time. If you are in a family group it'll save you loads.

Nodrog I`m going straight after rovers and plan to get to my hotel by 8/9pm and just stay there then into london monday, do a few touristy things like london eye, bucks palace etc, then for a nice meal then maybe the ice bar at night then onto a few more bars.

Tuesday will just be half a day in london then travel back around 4pm (traffic will be a killer though i assume).

Ive been london a fair few times and seen many places, but the girlfriend has never been and ive never really been to any of the touristy places.

She was quite mad we couldnt go saturday because of rovers on sunday though :brfcsmilie:

[quote name='thenodrog' date='17 February 2010 - 10:03 AM' timestamp='1266401037' post='881363'

**Check first to see if you can get an 'all day' ticket for the underground from Wembley so that you can hop on and off the underground to your hearts content without paying every time. If you are in a family group it'll save you loads.

Better still get yourselves Oyster cards. You can get them at any tube station for a £3 refundable deposit. You then just load them up with cash or a card at a ticket office or machine as you need it. If you're not coming back for a long time you should be able to hand them back and get your deposit and any fare balance back at the end of your stay. However, if you will be back again (even if only for Rovers games) it's best to keep them and just top them up as and when you need to.

Using the Oyster will always be cheaper than one day travelcards and a lot cheaper than just paying cash each time. Just make sure that you swipe your card on the way in and out for each journey. Easy at tube stations where there will be a barrier but on buses and the DLR you have to swipe across a yellow pad. You can find out more at www.tfl.gov.uk.

Certainly not a 'major' thing to do, but have a go travelling by Clipper along the Thames at somepoint. It's quite cool! Greenwich market is always a must for me. Some EXCELLENT stuff on sale there. I've bought marble coasters with Rovers tickets printed on them, a coca-cola glass formed by sawing off the bottom of a bottle and sticking it on the top and a lampshade made of champagne bottle tops (the latter was bought for a tenner and sold for 150quid on ebay!) :tu:

Im in London on a stag do this weekend, can't really see us doing much touristy stuff... however any recommendations for evening entertainment for a group of 14 lads is much appreciated. Thinking Comedy club type things.

It's a stag do! Don't you want lapdancing/stripping? Not that I could help you with places in London haha.

Would suggest going to www.walks.com - London Walks has great walks around different areas of the city. Good way to get to learn about the area and the history. They even do one Sunday through Little Venice.

Im in London on a stag do this weekend, can't really see us doing much touristy stuff... however any recommendations for evening entertainment for a group of 14 lads is much appreciated. Thinking Comedy club type things.

Ricky, The Comedy Club in Leicester Square is a great night, and very very cheap entry compared to 99% of places around central London. Also a great place to be if you're wanting to move on afterwards, as Soho and Covent Garden are all within walking distance.

It might be a bit cold this time of year, but i`d totally recommend the Thames river boat trips. We went on two trips last year- Westminster to just past Tower Bridge (Catherines wharf??:huh:) We enjoyed it so much, we decided to take another longer trip on our last day- Westminster to Thames Barrier & back (3hr round trip) It`s nice, laid back & a great way to see the sights.

We found the London Eye a bit boring & not worth the £17 each.

I've enjoyed several trips to that London over the last few months (thank you, Mrs Sidders) and can heartily recommend a trip to Vinopolis (nearest tube London Bridge - just round the back of Southwark Cathedral and site of the original Clink gaol) for a good boozy day out. It's like a booze theme park. You choose the tour you want and spend the day tasting wine, gin cocktails, quality rum, etc. For more expensive tours you get champagne, whisky, beer, etc according to your taste. We did the £27 tour and got six wines, two premium wines, a gin cocktail and 3 rums. Thanks to a bit of flirting by Mrs S with the bloke dishing out the premium wines plus the fact it was very quiet we got rather more wine than we should have got. They do stag and hen parties at the weekends. Rubbish for kids though.

As for the London Eye, book in advance or be prepared to wait (especially at weekends) or be an impatient bugger like me and pay for the fastrack to jump the queue... and lament on the cost later.

Good plays at the moment Cat on a Hot Tin Roof starring James Earl Jones (very good - we went last week and got a free ticket upgrade to be right at the front) and Warhorse (Mrs Sidders' brother has seen it and was very impressed) but make sure you get your tickets at the discount booths at Leicester Square.

try spotting an Englishman !!!

London ? a smog ridden hell hole tht is simply full of immigrants, beggars and thieves. A city that is full of iniquity, commercialsm and is a symbol of freedom to the radicals who bother our system, take the micky and screw us all rotten.

Best advice, stay clear.

London ? a smog ridden hell hole tht is simply full of immigrants, beggars and thieves. A city that is full of iniquity, commercialsm and is a symbol of freedom to the radicals who bother our system, take the micky and screw us all rotten.

Best advice, stay clear.

Here here! :tu:

Best advice, stay clear.

I'm surprised you didn't finish your post with "Humbug".

But you're right regarding language. We found the only English speakers were taxi drivers; no pedestrians.

Also stay clear of "The Mousetrap" if you go to a show; totally out of date and boring.

Archived