BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] London

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

try spotting an Englishman !!!

London ? a smog ridden hell hole tht is simply full of immigrants, beggars and thieves. A city that is full of iniquity, commercialsm and is a symbol of freedom to the radicals who bother our system, take the micky and screw us all rotten.

Best advice, stay clear.

Utter Tosh, I have lived and worked on and off in London for 20 years and been fortunate enough to have been most places and it is the best city in the World..NY a close 2nd

You can do what you want any time of the day any day of the week...it has the best variety of cuisine,cultures, sights and things to do in the world, it is a fantastic city with a great buzz any day or night..most northern cities are dead bar Thurs, Fri and Saturday

SAS enjoy try Cha Cha Moon for good value, high quality asian cuisine, Ganton Street off carnaby street near regent street your girlfirnd will like it

Utter Tosh, I have lived and worked on and off in London for 20 years and been fortunate enough to have been most places and it is the best city in the World..NY a close 2nd

You can do what you want any time of the day any day of the week...it has the best variety of cuisine,cultures, sights and things to do in the world, it is a fantastic city with a great buzz any day or night..most northern cities are dead bar Thurs, Fri and Saturday

Let's not get too carried away shall we ?

London's a fine place but it's too damn big, very expensive and very dirty.

Apart from when the West End shows empty around 10 - 10.30pm I would also dispute that it has a "buzz" .

Manchester, Leeds and Newcastle have a better feel late at night than anywhere in London.

One thing you British don't know how to do is a lovely steak....

Really? Well I'd rather eat one of our cattle reared without antibiotic growth promoters, without hormones and not fed a diet made up of genetically modified cereals, blood meal and meat and bone meal as part of their diet than one of your toxic equivalents.

Especially so if it's been cooked to within an inch of being incinerated and not served with blood running off the plate.;)

BBlue

you forgot to add its is one of the most crime ridden areas in Britain. Its as likely that you will get robbed after 1030pm in London than anywhere else in England, the air is putrid, its overexpensive, traffic is bumper to bumper, its dirty, in fact having had to work there on many an occasion i utterly despair when told London is on the agenda.

BBlue

you forgot to add its is one of the most crime ridden areas in Britain. Its as likely that you will get robbed after 1030pm in London than anywhere else in England, the air is putrid, its overexpensive, traffic is bumper to bumper, its dirty, in fact having had to work there on many an occasion i utterly despair when told London is on the agenda.

1864 - each to there own as they say

I feel safer in London than any provincial town on a Friday / saturday night

And as for the rest of your observations we must frequent different parts of town!

Let's not get too carried away shall we ?

London's a fine place but it's too damn big, very expensive and very dirty.

Apart from when the West End shows empty around 10 - 10.30pm I would also dispute that it has a "buzz" .

Manchester, Leeds and Newcastle have a better feel late at night than anywhere in London.

Jim

Did nt realise you were an efficinado on nightlife I could obviously bow to your superior knowledge, but as someone who in a previous life was responsible for a portfolio of bars and clubs 92 strong across the entire uk I wont

Had a fantastic time, saw many sites, went on the london eye, which I really enjoyed, seems a lot higher when your at the top.

Went on the wembley tour as well which again was fantastic.

Had a nice meal just off regent street at an italian which was nice and reasonably priced, was on the same street as the ice bar, which i really recommend.

Agree with Jim, we were around all the big theatres at around 12 midnight and there was nothing going on. No bars and very few clubs. managed to find one place that would let us all in. Much rather Manchester for a night out.

Did have a good evening at the dog track though.

• 5 months later...

Might be something on event wise also...Things like Nottinghill Carnival ...Last night at the Proms..Rovers playing in London or other Football or Rugby Match.An Exhibition or Popconcert at Earls Court etc..add to a trip..Time out Magazine London (They have it at WHSmith)is worth getting.I quite like looking round some of the London Markets.. Petticote Lane and my once fav..Camden Market are names that come to mind

I'm tripping down to London in September and looking to go to the theatre (for the first time as an adult!). Any recommendations? The obvious ones are musicals, like Phantom of the Opera or Mamma Mia!, but they're just names I know.

We will Rock You is amazing if you like Queen. A few of my friends have said 'Avenue Q' is worth seeing. I think it's a puppet show for adults and apparently it is very funny.

We will Rock You is amazing if you like Queen. A few of my friends have said 'Avenue Q' is worth seeing. I think it's a puppet show for adults and apparently it is very funny.

Avenue Q is brilliant! It's a very small cast of 7 who control 9 puppets in total with songs that will just make you laugh. Avenue Q Website. If you go midweek the tickets start from £10.

Like Tim says We Will Rock You is amazing (although is at Manchester in December which will be cheaper), and other recommendations would be Wicked, Blood Brothers or Lion King.

JPhantom is THE best show ever!

We saw Oliver 2 weeks ago ace

Going to the theatre is just about the only good reason to visit London. I saw Phantom a few weeks ago, having last seen the show in 1989 ! The show has been reworked somewhat but is still visually stunning and the music as beautiful as ever. An absolute must-see. Oliver is fabulous too, Rowan Atkinson played Fagin when I saw the show but Griff Rhys Jones or Russ Abbott might be playing the part now. You will have to be quick though - Oliver is due to finish in January 2011.

We`re going down That There London on the weekend of 10/11 Sept. Seeing the mighty Muse at Wemberlee on 11th & probably just looking round the place on the 10th.

As far as Steaks go - I had a very nice steak in Gaucho's Kings in Yard of Greacechurch street two nights ago - much nicer than the one dished up in Smith and Wollenskys on 3rd Ave :) - for nightlife - don't go to Leicester square - Hoxton/Shorditch is a much better bet or Upper Street in islington.

If travelling with kids May I suggest War Horse as a play not to be missed LINK - We saw it without kids and were blown away by it and Enron is another excellent play if you don't fancy the more touristy fare of Phantom & Les Mis, but it ends soon Another Link

Galleries are free as are the Museums so there is plenty to do.

I Live & work in London, it's a shame I don't use more of what it's got to offer.

• 4 weeks later...

It's funny. I saw it and thought at the time that it was ok, but whenever I see ads on the tube, it makes me want to go see it again. The number at the end of the first act, was spectacular.

Archived