BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tottenham Vs Rovers

Iceman

Sorry, im doing this preview early as i wont be at a PC. Its my 1st preview, and im not sure on how to add images etc, but ive tried. i wanted to add some more images, but it told me i cant :(

Tottenham vs Blackburn brings us 2 teams with contrasting fortunes, one chasing a champions league spot, the other trying to steer clear of a relegation scrap. Spurs have been off the pace of late, and have slipped out of the top 4. Rovers have started to pick up some vital wins, and have put a bit of distance between the chasing pack.

Saturday 22nd November 2008

Both Spurs and Rovers were in the relegation zone, and both fighting to move up the table. Paul Ince was still in charge of Rovers, and Harry Redknapp was brought in to save Tottenham.

It was somewhat of a scrappy game, with Martin Olsson being sent off after being given a torrid time by Aaron Lennon

It was the inexperience of Olsson, which led to Spurs getting the only goal, which turned out to be the winning goal. Lennon robbed Olsson, and then went on a run before cutting the ball back to Pavlyuchenko to slot home the winner

Comments from both managers after the match

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp:

"Every time Aaron get on the ball he was a threat to them.

"He is in great form and he has such pace, when he runs at defenders he gives them problems.

"I'm delighted with the win. When it is 1-0 and you are missing chances, it only takes one break and it can all turn and they are back in the game."

Blackburn manager Paul Ince:

"We played some good stuff against a very good Tottenham side at their ground and we silenced their crowd for most of the game.

"The effort put in was unbelievable - the performance was outstanding.

"I thought we were going to salvage something. Had the ball been in the right place we would have got a point."

Team line ups:

Tottenham: Gomes, Corluka, Woodgate, King, Assou-Ekotto, Bentley (O'Hara 86), Jenas, Huddlestone, Lennon, Pavlyuchenko (Campbell 74), Bent.

Subs Not Used: Cesar, Bale, Zokora, Gunter, Dawson.

Blackburn: Robinson, Ooijer, Samba, Nelsen, Olsson, Emerton (Derbyshire 71), Andrews, Mokoena, Pedersen (Treacy 81), McCarthy (Simpson 46), Roque Santa Cruz.

Subs Not Used: Brown, Kerimoglu, Fowler, Roberts.

Blackburn vs Tottenham

18 December 2009

Peter Crouch sent Blackburn to a rare home defeat, when he scored a brace to keep Tottenham in the race for 4th Position.

Rovers though were unlucky , as twice McCarthy was denied by the post and also could not beat Gomes as Spurs were resolute in defence

Blackburn pushed forward in search of the equaliser but were unable to break down the Spurs defence. However, with Rovers pushing more players forward, Spurs took the opportunity to counter and Crouch completed his brace, to send the Ewood faithful home with nothing to cheer about

Blackburn manager Sam Allardyce:

"It's very disappointing to suffer two straight losses, and it's something I didn't expect us to get from our last two games, I must say.

"Unfortunately we have come up against a Peter Crouch in top form in front of goal and we haven't got anything out of a game that perhaps we deserved to.

"We have made a very, very good Tottenham side struggle. Their first goal was in the second minute of added time in the first half when there should only have been one additional minute, and we think it was a blatant foul by Crouch on the centre-half Ryan Nelsen too.

"We responded well, though, pushed them on to the back foot and we've had a chance at 1-0 - Benni McCarthy's - that 99 times out of 100 he would score. Credit to the keeper, he has spread himself and it's deflected onto the post, and in the end in the latter stages we've been caught on the break.

"In the end, it's Crouch who has made the difference."

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp:

"It was not a pretty game but one Tottenham may have lost in the past. It was a great result for us. It was a tough match but we have collected three points and kept a clean sheet away from home. I have to be pleased with that.

"It was not free-flowing football like it was in midweek against Manchester City. However we were solid at the back and the goalkeeper did well for us.

"We have a good group of lads and I do not have any problems with them. Crouchy got two good goals and deserved to get on the scoresheet. He works hard for the team.

"I thought we were fortunate to be 1-0 up at half-time but Jenas gave us a lot of energy when he came on and Robbie also hand a hand in the second goal, so it was a good day for us."

Team Lineups

Blackburn

01 Robinson

02 Jacobsen

05 Givet

06 Nelsen

27 Salgado (Pedersen 64)

39 Chimbonda

11 Grella

15 Nzonzi

10 McCarthy

23 Hoilett (Roberts 81)

26 Di Santo (Kalinic 72)

Substitutes

32 Brown, 28 Jones, 12 Pedersen, 17 Andrews, 09 Roberts, 18 Diouf, 22 Kalinic Tottenham

01 Gomes

19 Bassong

20 Dawson

22 Corlukayellow card

32 Assou-Ekotto

06 Huddlestone

07 Lennon (Hutton 90)

12 Palacios (Jenas 58)

21 Kranjcar

15 Crouch

18 Defoe (Keane 67)

Substitutes

27 Alnwick, 02 Hutton, 03 Bale, 08 Jenas, 25 Rose, 09 Pavlyuchenko, 10 Keane

I asked a Spurs fan his thoughts:

Me: Kevin, are you currently happy with Spurs season thus far?

Kevin: Yes and no. Yes because we are far from a relegation scrap, and no because it seems as if the wheels are starting to come off

Me: Any reason why you guys are faltering a bit?

Kev: I think its got to do with formation, injuries and players being a bit too over confident against teams we would expect to beat. Its about respect for the opposition, unfortunately it seems we are going about it with quite a bit of arrogance.

Me: Eidur Gudjohnson has joined, your take on him

Kev: Waste of a signing, because again he will sit on the bench and we will destroy another young players confidence, who is waiting on making a 1st team appearance

Me: Your thoughts on Rovers?

Kev: Solid team, but a bit concerned that you constantly feel the need to select the Irish lad in midfield

Me: Reid or Andrews?

Kev: Andrews, he works hard but he wont get into my pub team to be quite honest

Me: Do you think Rovers will avoid the drop?

Kev: You guys will stay up, your manager will be what seperates your team from the rest.

Me: Players we should be looking out for, in the Spurs team?

Kev: Lennon, Defoe, Crouch likes scoring against you guys so him as well.

Me: Players you guys will be watching out for on the Rovers side?

Kev: If fit, David Dunn. Im also hoping Basturk is not ready yet, classy player that.

Me: Prediction

Kev: Draw

Me: Thanks Kev

Kev: Cheers

Key Players For both teams:

Tottenham

jermain_defoe.jpg

Blackburn

_47196971_kalinic_getty466i.jpg

My Prediction

Tottenham 1-1 Rovers

Scorers

Lennon

Pedersen

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We seem to have a thing about 4-0 defeats, and despite Tombro's pessimism, I'm hopeful of something better than that (a three nil defeat perhaps...)

Would love to win this one, especially if we are sitting next to the Spurs supporter we got stuck with last time, he could speak about twice as fast as Owen Coyle and didn't shut up for the whole match. I was thoroughly fed up by the end of the match. Would love a win just to shut this geyser up :angry: - and for 'Arry, too, of course ;)

Martin, lad, I'm expecting you to stay on the pitch for the whole match, and show 'em what you're made of, lad (ball in the net kind of stuff, know what I mean?).

Nice preview, Isgak. Whatever you're doing that doesn't involve a PC, hope you enjoy it!!!

We seem to have a thing about 4-0 defeats, and despite Tombro's pessimism, I'm hopeful of something better than that (a three nil defeat perhaps...)

Would love to win this one, especially if we are sitting next to the Spurs supporter we got stuck with last time, he could speak about twice as fast as Owen Coyle and didn't shut up for the whole match. I was thoroughly fed up by the end of the match. Would love a win just to shut this geyser up :angry: - and for 'Arry, too, of course ;)

Martin, lad, I'm expecting you to stay on the pitch for the whole match, and show 'em what you're made of, lad (ball in the net kind of stuff, know what I mean?).

Nice preview, Isgak. Whatever you're doing that doesn't involve a PC, hope you enjoy it!!!

im just very busy at work mum, so wont be in front of my pc. Im hoping for a draw, and would be a good result if we beat Bolton this weekend. Im not sure what game is in between the Bolton and Spurs games

Liverpool. Oh, joy...

Glad you've plenty of work anyway, Isgak, it will keep you out of mischief ;)

:P Liverpool, aah well hopefully we get a result against Bolton. Liverpool, then Spurs both away will not do us good if we dont beat Bolton or get a draw at the very least.

good preview

i'm optimistic about this one, but it's too premature for predictions. i usually have a more accurate perspective about the way it could go on the day when i see the teams and the pre match build up is out the way.

i'd be happy with a draw on paper if burnley got beat as well (even though usually a draw against spuds would be good, for some reason i just have a feeling)

Nice preview. This is about which Spurs turns up- if they have recovered their previous form it will be a case of damage limitation. If they are without Lennon and are playing Jenas and so are still bumbling along, we have a chance if we are willing to compete.

I Would love us to Win here - However if we was to do we would need a performance from Robbo in the magnitude of Myhill (Hull) and also Stoke - But if them 2 teams can take points we are capable but with our away record and the form Defoe is in I have to go 3-1 Spurs, Defoe gets a brace and Givet gets a late consolation :)

Would almost certainly accept a point now but with us beating bolton it takes that pressure off a little more so just play your hearts out lads and lets hope for something positice :)

I've happy memories of my previous trip to WHL. A 0-4 win and qualifying for Europe.

I don't expect a repeat of that. Despite a dip in form, Spurs are too good and we're too poor away from Ewood. Modric, for one, has torn better teams than us to pieces.

I'm torn between a home win and a right paggering.

I've happy memories of my previous trip to WHL. A 0-4 win and qualifying for Europe.

I don't expect a repeat of that. Despite a dip in form, Spurs are too good and we're too poor away from Ewood. Modric, for one, has torn better teams than us to pieces.

I'm torn between a home win and a right paggering.

I remember that trip well. Flitty getting his kneecap nearly taken off by Poyet who was red carded. None of us could quite work out if Flitty had also been sent off because he disappeared down the tunnel only to come back on with a massive bandage on his leg... He was a tough player too.

We drew with Wigan away and Chelsea lost to Wigan away. Did this mean we should have won at the Bridge??? No we got hammered 5-0...thats a stupid way to make a prediction.

i'm not making a prediction you tool. i'm just saying it could be an interesting game. two teams very capable of scoring right now (well, we will be away so maybe not). the post was purposely vague. calm down lad.

Hard to predict the team for this one. I imagine Sam will keep it as it is though with the possibility of dropping Andrews and Hoilett maybe, and obviously Samba in for Nelsen.

We have Dunn, Grella, Reid, Basturk and Linganzi pushing for starts now though.

Archived