BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tottenham Vs Rovers

Iceman

Warnock was on 40,000 a week then? A left-back from Liverpool's reserves? If that's the case, I'll eat my TV.

I think Paul's right, Warnock was sold to cover a budget hole, the book's then balanced, then Sam was a norty boy and signed Salgado without getting the green light from the board first.

It's been a disastrous signing. Money down the drain in my book.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we had a lot of the ball in the game away from home, had the same number of shots on goals as Spurs AND had a number of key decisions go against us. I am using facts to support my opinion, by simply stating that Rovers are crap is not exactly a convincing argument.

Oh I cited Andy Gray as he has clearly more football nous than you...

Seriously dude? Are you delusional? I really don't know what the point of you is right now, but if you're suggesting that we performed to a satisfactory level or that we deserved to take something away from that game then I'm afraid I'm going to have to call for the men in white coats...

Warnock was on 40,000 a week then? A left-back from Liverpool's reserves? If that's the case, I'll eat my TV.

I think Paul's right, Warnock was sold to cover a budget hole, the book's then balanced, then Sam was a norty boy and signed Salgado without getting the green light from the board first.

Ignoring the money aspect as we will probably never know, on a purely football decision Warnock out Salgado and Chimbonda in has turned out to be a terrible deal.

There's no way Allardyce signed Salgado without JW's say so. Warnock simply joins a long list of Rovers players who felt the grass is greener.

I'm sure I could run faster than him, and I'm a couple of years older and 15 stone.

He just couldn't get anywhere near Bale at all, it was embarrassing.

And why did we bring on Keith when 2-0 down? Nothing against Keith, but he's not the bloke to bring on when in a fix, no?

Seriously dude? Are you delusional? I really don't know what the point of you is right now, but if you're suggesting that we performed to a satisfactory level or that we deserved to take something away from that game then I'm afraid I'm going to have to call for the men in white coats...

Once again I am truly overwhelmed by the argument, which is what exactly-Rovers are crap? Delusional? What is the point of you bar making churlish, unsubstatiated comments.

Out of interest against a top 4 side what is a satisfactory level? I would suggest creating a number of chances, keeping it tight at the back and trying to keep the ball, I would like to have seen more shots on goal and we had a number of individual errors but aside from that it was a satisfactory performance.

I think your being a bit unfair to Salgado, up from Everton away and today when he's been given a start he's actually done okay. He's always going to have a hard time against someone with pace but to be fair he's come from a Real Madrid side where he's never really had to defend. As for the overall performance we had a few chances early doors, with Dunn's run and Olsson's efforts coming to mind. Kalinic's goal should have stood and I agree that poor defending and goalkeeping costs us the goals.

Big Sam's critics will never be pleased, even if we finished in a European spot. They have to get a reality check though with limited resources realistically where do you think we can finish??? We're pretty much already guaranteed safety, our home form is better than Villa's and away form although still poor performance wise has been better in 2010.

I for one am happy with the season in general with many positives to be taken and built on for next season.

• Backroom

Did not think we'd get anything from today's game so not overly disappointed. Webb was awful, got decisions wrong for both sides, but I don't think he affected the result much. Our defenders cost us the game today, particularly Chimbonda. Salgado was perhaps the wrong choice for full-back, as he had nobody to help him out against Bale's pace and was never going to win that battle.

I think we'll nick a point off Chelsea, and we can definitely beat Birmingham at home. I fancy us to destroy Burnley. Regardless of our away form, the wheels have well and truly come off their wagon home and away. Lost 2-1 to Wolves at home today, that says it all. If Wolves can beat them away, so can we. If we manage to get wins over Birmingham & Bumley it'll take us to 40 points, and I don't think we'll go much further than that this season.

Well if you look at his record...

Real Madrid CF:

Intercontinental Cup: 2002

UEFA Champions League: 1999–00, 2001–02

UEFA Super Cup: 2002

Spanish League: 2000–01, 2002–03, 2006–07, 2007–08

Spanish Supercup: 2001, 2003, 2008

and the fact that Big Sam has had success with Campo, Hierro, Djorkaeff etc it wasn't such a risk and I think he's played a part especially with the injuries to Jacobsen and Nelsen and the fact Samba's had two recent suspensions. And as for £40k a week your off your head thinking he's on that much.

I'm sure I could run faster than him, and I'm a couple of years older and 15 stone.

He just couldn't get anywhere near Bale at all, it was embarrassing.

And why did we bring on Keith when 2-0 down? Nothing against Keith, but he's not the bloke to bring on when in a fix, no?

Thing is Bry, Harry did a good job on Salgado. He had Bale stay as wide as possible and Dawson hit him with cross field passes that gave him a run on Salgado. It was obvious what they were doing early on yet Sam didn't pick up on it, and neither seemingly did Emerton.

He had space to get up steam, we couldn't get tight to him without leaving a huge gap, and Bale made hay.......

(and yes, this whole post was just an excuse to make that pun).

I thought we were the better team to begin with but we didn't take our chances and wasn't given the penalty.

Bale then got more of the ball and caused us a lot of problems. The goal just before half time really hurt us imo and it took the shine of a half decent 1st half performance.

2nd half and getting caught short at the back. Going 2-0 down to a soft goal was dissapointing, Brown should of done better although he did make 2 good saves in the 1st half.

Samba header at 2-1 and there's hope again but sloppy defending cost us before we could really pressure Spurs.

Facts:

Brown is not a premiership keeper.

2-0 down and plan B is to bring Julie on for Emerton was a baffling decision.

Salgado was having a mare 1st half but stuck at it and won the battle with Bale 2nd half.

I think N'zonzi and Kalinic will become great players for us.

Shame Basturk didn't come on.

Another defeat but I think if we scored the first goal when we were on top then we could have got something. The goal before half time really hurt us and with our away record, the confidence just drained.

A couple of lessons should be taken away from todays game. Firstly, we have too much crap in our squad that needs to be let go in the summer (Brown and Chimbonda being prime examples).

I'm not familiar with the length of their current contracts Harry. You obviously are so could you tell me where we stand with them?

Chimbonda needs his contract ripping up.

Do you actually realise how stupid you sound DP?

What do you think would happen should we pursue your recommendations? How would the players union, our own players and their agents plus any players that we are hoping to attract to our club, the Premier League, the FA and Uncle Tom Cobley react to the action that you are proposing?

Not a clue what Brown was doing with the second goal, routine stop for a GK and somehow he let it past. :blink: The sooner Robbo is back the better.

imo Brown did a 'Robbo'. Getting down quick is the Achilles heel for both of em.

Facts:

Salgado was having a mare 1st half but stuck at it and won the battle with Bale 2nd half.

Salgado didn't win the battle in the second half, IMO. Emerton had been told to make sure he helped Salgado out in the second half and that helped negate Bale.

This also resulted in a lack of penetration down the right and also contributed to people's view that Emo had a poor game.

And 82% of N'Zonzi's passes were backwards or sideways.

A point I've made about N'Zonzi before is this. The guy has good potential but he's never going to become a really good player until he adds more to his game - and by this I'm thinking a more expansive passing range. I think a fair description of N'Zonzi is 'neat and tidy' and it is quite frustrating to see him always play the simple ball ie sideways or backwards.

As for the game individual errors cost us dear today. I didn't think there was much in it to be honest. It was always going to be a case of if we fell behind then we'd struggle and this was what happened. I'm not going to have a go at Sam as he's impressed me more of late but his substitutions were very poor IMO. Surely ten minutes into the second half was the time to bring on a striker? Not our Keith. All in all our away form needs to improve. Poorer record away from home than Pompey. I think it says it all. We just need a win from anywhere; a winning goal off Jason Roberts arse would do the trick right now.

Just finally regarding the Warnock/Salgado/Chimbonda debate - comon guys lets not forget that Stephen was a liability when he was here who only made tackles look decent as he'd cocked up in the first place. That's what many on here would have you believe anyway :rolleyes:. I'm not saying we could have kept in but maybe it's finally hit home to some people how good he actually was and how average his replacements have been.

But games are played at high speed in teh Premiership.

What is teh point at getting a 35 year from real Madrid whose legs have gone and who has never really had to defend? And paying them £40k a week? Mad.

I am surprised to see him at right back - I assumed (wrongly it would seem) that Sam was going to create a defensive midfield player out of him.

I wouldn't criticise him too much - Bale has had a good season - and skinned quicker players than Salgado. Olsson is fairly quick - bit the way he was taken apart by Lennon previously shows it isn't all about pace. Second half Salgado improved.

The player that disaapoints me more - and also cost a transfer fee and is arguably on the same salary is Chimbonda. Currently he is a long way from the player that had people saying we wouldn't miss Warnock (though I was never convinced on that one). He just doesn't look interested - and is so slow to close the attacker down it is embarassing.

A point I've made about N'Zonzi before is this. The guy has good potential but he's never going to become a really good player until he adds more to his game - and by this I'm thinking a more expansive passing range. I think a fair description of N'Zonzi is 'neat and tidy' and it is quite frustrating to see him always play the simple ball ie sideways or backwards.

Yes he probably does need to add more to his game, but I find it annoying when people say how great Carrick, Barry and Mascherano are when they play the majority of their passes sideways or backwards too.

This was strange game to watch.

The Salgado/Bale duel was so distracting in the first half. Every time Dawson got the ball, that cross-field ball seemed inevitable. I dont know why either the manager or one of the senior players on the pitch allowed the situation to remain uncorrected for so long. Forty five painful minutes. Embarrassing actually. I can cope with a bad day at the office: Salgado's physical condition was revealed today. Every time his name is posted to the team sheet going forward, you can imagine how he will be targeted. Meanwhile, Emerton as an individual and the team as a whole was all but sacrificed in the second half.

Dunn flattered to deceive. My impression was too many of his passes failed to complete. And at other times he looked out of the game at times.

The Rovers fan alongside me said to his mate on the phone at half time that Brown looked as though 'he'd had a good feed before he came on'. The two decent saves were forgotten with the bad one.

Chimbonda looked behind the play too many times. The third goal simply shone a spotlight on that failing.

The other players each had moments of skills or endeavour but carrying so many players, it was difficult to maintain the threat. Del Santo was sprightly. Kallinic was dogged and held up the ball and should have had a goal. Samba looked solid.

Do you actually realise how stupid you sound DP?

What do you think would happen should we pursue your recommendations? How would the players union, our own players and their agents plus any players that we are hoping to attract to our club, the Premier League, the FA and Uncle Tom Cobley react to the action that you are proposing?

imo Brown did a 'Robbo'. Getting down quick is the Achilles heel for both of em.

More like Achilles ar*e given the size of it :rolleyes:

As far as Chimbonda - flatters to deceive - he has become quite poor as the season progresses - guess thats why he never lasts long at any club

If Spurs have a quick winger available, they'll play him on the left-wing. Salgado will get an early booking and it will be a disaster after that. He is too slow. Sooner see Chimbonda there.

If I can predict that why can't Sam? Not the early booking bit of course! Sam has a blind spot here. He wants to do a Svengali with Salgado like he did with Ococha and others. But it is not going to work because Salgado can't run. Other than that the team selection looked OK. But the players didn't play well enough. Dunn was off the pace and both Emerton and Pedersen were poor. As a result Niko was totally islated up front. Throw in a reserve keeper and we didn't have much chance. Throw in very lax marking at the back and we had no chance.

The players are good enough to get results in this league, the home form proves that. It's the same players who travel away, the pitches are still green and the goals are the same size.

So the preparation, tactics, approach and attitude must be at fault for away games - a fact which is blindingly obvious to anyone who has been to even a handful of away games since December 2008. That is entirely down to the management on the football side. Nothing else.

Customary drivel from the trolling cheerleader of the anti-Allardyce brigade.

I was at the game today. Everyone in the ground could see that Rovers were in charge of the game up until Spurs went 2-0, and what on earth can the manager do about a keeper making two awful blunders?

The last two away performances can offer nothing but encouragement, especially given the opposition.

Just listened to the expert and apparently we had the lion's share of the game. But for being let down by defenders and the ref, he was happy.

The manager was right, and those who were at the game today would agree with him.

But then you are the expert and you know better.

Archived