BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Plane To Sa

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, providing Robinson doesn't get the call-up.

I honestly don't understand why people support the English football team, unless they are fans of a team who never do anything (and so they never see any excitement) or teams who have a large amount of players called up to the national team. I support Blackburn Rovers, that is all. It would be weird for me to switch off and support the players who I hate week in week out when playing against Blackburn. The same players who get a ridiculous amount of protection from the referees in England to the detriment of Blackburn Rovers, and the same group of players who serve as a poisoness element to almost every Rovers player who gets called up.

I have enough patriotism in me not to mind when England succeed, but I'll admit to finding it funny watching them fail. I wish any Blackburn player who gets called up well, but not the team in which they are playing.

However since I have entered into discussion in the thread I may as well answer the OP.

As a neutral this is the team I think Capello should take:

(In no order of preference)

Green, Robinson, Hart

Terry, Cole (if fit), Ferdinand (if fit), Johnson, Bridge, Upson, Richards (Warnock and Woodgate if Cole and Ferdinand aren't fit)

Lampard, Gerrard, Joe Cole, Milner, Barry, Carrick, Young, Bentley, Lennon

Rooney, Crouch, Defoe, Bent

I honestly don't understand why people support the English football team,

Because we're English?

It's daft trying to apply logic to football anyway, but if you must...it makes more sense to follow your national team (full of players sharing your nationality) when playing against other countries than it does to follow a club made of up mainly of foreign journeymen who are only there for the money.

GK: Hart, Robinson, Green

DEF: Richards, Terry, Cole (if fit), Ferdinand, Warnock, (G)Johnson, Lescott

MID: Milner, Gerrard, Carrick, Johnson, Lennon, Barry, Beckham, SWP, Lampard

ATT: Rooney, Crouch, Defoe, Agbonlahor

Starting 11.

Hart

Johnson, Terry, Ferdinand, Warnock

Milner, Barry, Gerrard, Johnson

Rooney, Defoe

Because we're English?

It's daft trying to apply logic to football anyway, but if you must...it makes more sense to follow your national team (full of players sharing your nationality) when playing against other countries than it does to follow a club made of up mainly of foreign journeymen who are only there for the money.

Spot on. That's why when we say we love a team....we most likely ACTUALLY love that team. As with any other example of love, it is illogical. Luckily for us, it's blind too haha

Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, providing Robinson doesn't get the call-up.

I honestly don't understand why people support the English football team, unless they are fans of a team who never do anything (and so they never see any excitement) or teams who have a large amount of players called up to the national team. I support Blackburn Rovers, that is all. It would be weird for me to switch off and support the players who I hate week in week out when playing against Blackburn. The same players who get a ridiculous amount of protection from the referees in England to the detriment of Blackburn Rovers, and the same group of players who serve as a poisoness element to almost every Rovers player who gets called up.

I have enough patriotism in me not to mind when England succeed, but I'll admit to finding it funny watching them fail. I wish any Blackburn player who gets called up well, but not the team in which they are playing.

I'm in the same boat. If I want to be patriotic, it won't be supporting a bunch of overpaid prima donnas and adulterers. It would be flagrant hypocrisy to cheer on players you publicly detest in club football.

GK: Hart, Robinson, James

RB: Johnson, Richards

LB: A. Cole (Only if 100% fit before the comp starts), Warnock (Baines if Cole not fit)

CB: Terry, Ferdinand, Upson, Lescott (Would have picked Jagielka if he was fit)

MF: Lennon, Milner, Gerrard, Lampard, Barry, J. Cole, Beckham, Carrick

FW: Rooney, Heskey, Defoe, Crouch

Carrick and Beckham because of lack of other options really, don't think Young has been great really and Johnson to inexperienced.

Heskey because although he is awful he works well with Rooney and Crouch because him and Defoe should be used to each other by then at least.

I'm in the same boat. If I want to be patriotic, it won't be supporting a bunch of overpaid prima donnas and adulterers. It would be flagrant hypocrisy to cheer on players you publicly detest in club football.

Yet you support a premiership football club? Overpaid prima donnas - Diouf? Not much of a reason to not support your country. I personally dont care much about England outside the major tournaments but when they come around its a different matter.

Yet you support a premiership football club? Overpaid prima donnas - Diouf? Not much of a reason to not support your country. I personally dont care much about England outside the major tournaments but when they come around its a different matter.

It's different, because Blackburn is a personal hobby, as it is for every domestic fan. Like I said, if I want to be patriotic, it won't be supporting the national football side.

It's different, because Blackburn is a personal hobby, as it is for every domestic fan. Like I said, if I want to be patriotic, it won't be supporting the national football side.

Thats fine, but if your reasoning is that you wont support England due to the team being over paid prima donnas, well that excuse can be easily used against every single premier league club including ours. If thats your only reason then I dont really understand. I dont particularly find myself supporting England in the qualifying competitions but in the World Cup and the Euro's I find myself supporting England as much as I support Rovers.

Why are people picking Richards when he hasn't been picked by Capello? Without any evidence to back up my statement, it would seem that Richards might have an attitude problem and that is why Capello doesn't want him in his squad.

GK: Hart, Green, James.

Def: Johnson, Terry, Rio, Cole, Upson, Brown, Bridge & King

Mid: Lennon, Beckham, Lampard, Barry, Gerrard, Milner, Downing, J Cole

For: Rooney, Heskey, Cole, Defoe

Starting XI

Green

Johnson-Terry-Rio-Cole

Lennon-Lampard-Barry-Gerrard

Heskey-Rooney

The only other people that could go would be Baines/Warnock if Cole is injured, Crouch if Heskey/Cole get injured and with A.Young, Walcott, Carrick and Huddlestone waiting to sneak in if anyone gets injured in midfield.

I'm absolutely dumbfounded that people are advocating Green or Hart to start in the biggest competition in the world. I probably wouldn't have either in my squad, let alone starting. David James, Ben Foster and Paul Robinson would probably be my choices. Foster hasn't played much, but at least he has past experience with the national squad as does Robinson and both are better keepers than Hart and Green (the latter has been awful for much of this season).

Walcott is injury prone and offered virtually nothing all season, while Zamora simply isn't up to international football. Neither should be going to South Africa. I'm also surprised that few have included Ashley Young, who has been superb for two years now.

This would be my squad:

James, Robinson, Foster.

Johnson, Richards, A. Cole, Bridge, Terry, Ferdinand, Upson.

Lennon, Milner, J. Cole, A. Young, Lampard, Gerrard, Carrick, Beckham.

Rooney, Defoe, Bent, Crouch.

My starting XI:

---------------James

Johnson / Terry / Ferdinand / A. Cole

----------------Barry

-------Gerrard--------Lampard

Lennon--------------------------Young

--------------Rooney

Wouldnt take SWP, Defoe or Lescott - not international class and never do it on that top stage.

Defoe has proved to be a top striker for about 5 years now. Should've gone to last world cup and a shoe-in for the squad this time round. Doubt he'll be first choice but he must be on the plane.

SWP and Lescott, not for me. I'd actually play Milner instead of Gareth Barry. Loads more energy, better form and an all round better player. If only Owen H could get fit then he'd be straight in there.

Bit worrying about the lack of form from e.g. Gerrard and Lampard. Cole will struggle to make it, Terry/Bridge sitiation not good, Rio struggling for form/fitness, Heskey abysmal, Glen Johnson suspect one on one and dreadful positional play, no top-class goalkeeper, Walcott doing nothing, Lennon needs to recapture form...Imagine if Rooney got injured?! We may as well not turn up!

Dont mean to be negative but currently, it aint looking great is it :(

I'd also put Warnock or Baines in squad over Bridge. Never mind all this Terry business, he aint good enough, too slow etc.

He's a damned site better than Green and Hart!

Better than Green POSSIBLY.

Better than Hart? Noooooope.

Hart would be my No2 keeper for England anyday. And if James or Kirkland isn't up to it, he'd be first choice. Hart has been AWESOME the last couple of seasons and is still rapidly improving.

My 3 keepers would be James, Kirkland and Hart (assuming all were fit). Then Foster, Green and Robbo.

He's a damned site better than Green and Hart!

Foster is sh*t! No confidence either and not even 2nd choice at his club. If he was 20/21 then fair enough but he's in his prime and would've made the grade by now if was good enough. Hart seems to be coming on strong and he's probably favourite with Green.

I'm going to go on the assumption that everyone is fit like others have done, therefore I'm even including the likes of Hargreaves. He is (Or at least was before his injury) the best defensive midfielder and is disciplined enough to play the role should the fixture demand it.

Goalkeepers: The hardest to pick as the majority are either poor, inconsistent, inexperienced, fitness doubts or a combination of the four.

James

Robinson

Hart

Defenders: Full back positions are a worry with Cole a doubt, defensively I'm not sure we have any fullbacks up to the job.

Terry

Ferdinand

Johnson

A Cole

Upson

Woodgate

P Neville

Midfielders: Probably our strongest area, finding the balance is the key.

Beckham

Gerrard

Lampard

Hargreaves

J Cole

Milner

Barry

Lennon

Forwards: Rooney plus any of the other inconsistent/not international class players we have available, I'd take Owen for his experience of major games. If it's a one on one late in the game I'd still rather him on the end of it than the likes of Bent or Agbonlahor.

Rooney

Owen

Crouch

Defoe

Walcott

Starting XI

GK: James, sigh

DR: Johnson

DC: Terry

DC: Ferdinand

DL: A Cole

DMC: Hargreaves

RM: Beckham

LM: Milner

CM: Lampard

AM: Gerrard

ST: Rooney

I think our strongest eleven is excellent and call me English and naive but if they are all fit for the whole tournament and we can avoid injuries and suspensions then we are definitely in with a chance of winning it, the same can be said for 5 or 6 teams.

We do lack depth in my opinion though, I have no faith in any of our goalkeepers, they all have their problems, I unfortunately see blunders waiting to happen in all of them.

We have no fullbacks in my opinion that are international standard who are worthy deputies to A Cole. Johnson for me even as first choice has his defensive limitations, the same can be said for Warnock and Bridge who are often caught out of position at key moments. One key moment could be the difference between staying in South Africa or getting the next flight home. Richards is showing signs of returning to his form of when he first burst on the scene so I'd keep an eye on him and Baines for the rest of the season. I couldn't decide who to pick and eventually went with Phil Neville as a somewhat crazy selection but at least he has bags of experience and can play in a lot of positions.

Ferdinand and Terry are as strong as anyone, Upson has been a reliable premiership player for a while now and hasn't looked out of place on the international scene. Never rated Lescott as a top player, may as well take Campbell. Woodgate won't be fit long enough to be considered but on his day and with games behind him he could be as good as Terry if not better. Too bad he's a crock.

Gerrard and Lampard would get into most international teams in the world so there's no worry there, Hargreaves I mentioned earlier on is another who probably won't be fit but if he can get 10 or so games at the end of the season and prove his fitness he'd be one of my first picks. He offers so much stability to the team. Lennon, Wright Phillips, Walcott, Bentley have all had chances to impress on the international scene, none of them in my opinion have proved consistent enough for Beckham to pass the torch full time. I'd still have him out there for his desire to win and workrate, not to mention being handy at set pieces. Milner being the in form player right now has done as much as anyone to deserve a place in the team, would like to see Joe Cole playing more regularly to see who should take the left spot. Barry and Lennon can provide more than decent backup to the team.

Rooney picks himself in the team and I'm not sure we have anyone good enough to play up with him that's worth sacrificing one of the midfielders for. Rooney has proved for Man Utd this year that he can play the lone role providing he has support, the likes of Gerrard and Lampard are no strangers to providing goals from midfield. As I said I'd take Owen mainly as a last resort solution if we need a goal in the dying stages of a game. Defoe has found goals relatively easy this year in the premiership but for me he has always been a patchy player, even more so on the international scene. Probably the best of a bad bunch though so I think I'd take him over the likes of Agbonlahor who seems even more inconsistent and Bent who needs the team practically built around him to score goals and offers little else to the team if we don't have the ball. (A similiar situation which led to Horseface's decline at OT). Crouch is another who for me isn't international class and seems to get the majority of his goals against weaker teams, with that being said I think he just nudges himself ahead of Carlton Cole, Heskey, Zamora and co. Walcott is a talent and has bags of pace which can provide backup in midfield or as a different alternative to Owen to stretch the legs of the opposition late in the game.

Admittedly the selection of people like Neville, Owen, Woodgate and Hargreaves may seem like bizarre selections, the first two I wouldn't normally consider but in my eyes the alternatives are no better so you may as well take the ones that have been there and done it.

All in all I think most of us would agree on 18-20 names, there just seems to be a few places up for selection, I'm sure there will be a surprise or two depending on what happens between now and the end of the season.

Archived