SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Standup Comedy

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Kamy100

Sorry Kamy but that bloke is about as funny as 'The Lovely Bones'

To be honest I had never heard of him until my brother told me that he had seen him last night and he was taking ripping into Burnley.

Will have to look him up on youTUBE.

I really like Michael McIntyre regardless of the inevitable stick he's received for getting so big so quick. Rhod Gilbert is my favourite of the recent wave of British comedians to find a bit of fame though. Ricky Gervais is a bit love him or hate him case - personally I'm in the former category. I think a lot of people don't realise that being a smug, obnoxious ###### is part of his act.

Frankie Boyle is one I don't like. I know all stand-up is mostly rehearsed of course, but I think he makes it really painfully obvious that he's just reciting a list of "offensive" stuff he thought up earlier. Every line is telegraphed a mile off. Maybe it's just me.

I went to watch a show called "cutting edge" at the comedy store on deansgate locks last night and honestly at £10 a ticket it was dog sh*t.

It's like a poor; live version of mock the week.

If anyone was thinking about going to it...i'd save your money.

I really like Michael McIntyre regardless of the inevitable stick he's received for getting so big so quick. Rhod Gilbert is my favourite of the recent wave of British comedians to find a bit of fame though. Ricky Gervais is a bit love him or hate him case - personally I'm in the former category. I think a lot of people don't realise that being a smug, obnoxious ###### is part of his act.

Frankie Boyle is one I don't like. I know all stand-up is mostly rehearsed of course, but I think he makes it really painfully obvious that he's just reciting a list of "offensive" stuff he thought up earlier. Every line is telegraphed a mile off. Maybe it's just me.

It ain't just you. His material appears very spontaneous on panel shows (such as MTW which is ACE. Tbh, I actually prefer it without him as it's an extra slot for another comedian = more comic variety on the show). His material IS rehearsed. Not only is it repeated from MTW, but it's word for word.

Agree with you on McIntyre and Gilbert, but not a lover of Gervais.

Another comedian up there with the best is Lee Evans. But he sweats that much that you get knackered watching him!!! All part of his act though, I believe. Like Derren Brown's 'nervous' twitch (a slight nod of the head).

I once saw Lee Evans, Terry Alderton and a then unheard of Bill Bailey (one of the first solo gigs he'd done after the rubber bishops) on the same bill, cracking night.

Having just rewatched The Aristocrats (a documentary about a joke comedians only ever tell each other, never on stage) I was reminded just how very very good George Carlin was.

Going to see Dave Gorman at KGH next month as Mrs Sidders is a fan. Also got tickets for Frankie Boyle in November but will probably be going with my brother because she isn't.

Michael McIntyre? I'd sooner have broken shards of glass inserted under my foreskin by a clumsy chimpanzee high on crystal meth than sit through one of his shows! He really is a tedious c!*% of the very highest order.

• 8 months later...
  • Backroom

Went to see Kevin Bridges on Monday at Burnley mechanics, bloody brilliant. Incidentally it's a really good place for comedy it tends to be cheap and a smallish venue, shame it's in Burnley. Saw Reginald D Hunter and Steve Hughes there earlier in the year and they were both superb as well.

Going to Jason Manford this Sunday at KGH and then John Bishop next Sunday, not looking forward to either of them now due to over exposure.

Going to Jason Manford this Sunday at KGH and then John Bishop next Sunday, not looking forward to either of them now due to over exposure.

Going to Manford tomorrow - saw him last year around this time, hope he's been busy writing new stuff! Was excellent last time, and great value for money as he was on well over 2 hours.

Also going to John Bishop, and Frankie Boyle at KGH. Got tickets for Peter Kay in a couple of weeks too in Sheffield.

Well, enjoyed Jason Manford last night - some good new material and although one or two jokes/anecdotes were repeated from last year, that was only because he used the KGH show in 2009 to try some new stuff out (think it was the last show of his last tour).

John Bishop next Sunday! :tu:

I'm going to see Stewart Lee in London on the 19th.

I haven't seen him live before but have high hopes after seeing his DVDs.

I saw Stewart Lee at The Lowry a couple of weeks ago - he was very funny.

Another couple of favourites I've seen in the past are Daniel Kitson & Jon Richardson. I'm hoping I'll be able to get a ticket for Kitson again when he tours next year.

Sorry Kamy but that bloke is about as funny as 'The Lovely Bones'

I've seen him a couple of times over here and he has been hilarious. Although I think he has been losing his edge in the last couple of years and recycling a lot of his old stuff.

Seen Live:

Jeff Green - Very Funny - Royton nr, Oldham

Greg Proops - Very Very Funny - Library Theatre Manchester

Justin Moorhouse - Magic - Comedy Store

Lee Hurst - Very Funny - Comedy Store

Ben Elton - Preston - Suprisingly Funny

Jim Jeffries - Mental but Funny - Sick b*****d

Archived