BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sepp Wants To Scrap The Offside Rule!

He's a tosser - why doesnt he just leave the game alone.

Just make the offside rule simple, when the ball is played, if your beyond the last defender then your off. None of this 1st phase, 2nd phase, not interfering etc....if your off then your offside, simple!!

:angry2: This dumb tw@t gets paid mega money to consider simple things like this! :unsure:

Could it be any worse than now?

Lets face it it isnt a rule, rule's are strict, this current idea is more a guideline open to interpretaion.

Returning to the days when offised was offside is the way to go.

FIFA keep telling us they want to make the game more exciting, and keep changing rules yet all these rule changes ever result in is frustration and in some cases anger for fans, managers and clubs.

Surely if we are looking to remove something from the game now it should be that moron Blatter.

I think at the moment it would be fantastic for Rovers as we could have a permenant tart liner(I aint used that phrase since I was 15) and launch the ball up at them completely bypassing midfield.

Problem is Rafa's worst nightmare would come to fruition and EVERYONE would follow the Rovers model, Robbo would be the most sought after playmaker in world football and we would be forced sell him to Real Madrid in exchange for Casillias, Ronaldo and £70m. Sam would then decide that a nice passing game will ###### the fans off and Rovers are villified in the southern media for being a 'short ball' team.

In all seriousness, It would kill the game as it is, the fans would lose talking points, different styles would become invalid and the more direct ones would become even more popular. The only way a no offside game could be played would be to play a no over head height rule, to stop the onset of hoof and hope, which would be even worse to regulate.

A novel idea for FIFA would perhaps be to stop pissing about with rules so maybe everyone can learn to understand the ones we have in place already.

Problem is Rafa's worst nightmare would come to fruition and EVERYONE would follow the Rovers model, Robbo would be the most sought after playmaker in world football and we would be forced sell him to Real Madrid in exchange for Casillias, Ronaldo and £70m. Sam would then decide that a nice passing game will ###### the fans off and Rovers are villified in the southern media for being a 'short ball' team.

:D :D

Very good.

A novel idea for FIFA would perhaps be to stop pissing about with rules so maybe everyone can learn to understand the ones we have in place already.

Exactly.

I'd like a rule that stopped defenders putting their hands up in the air to indicate a non-existent 'offside' making the prat with the flag hurredly wave his flag for the offside he thinks he has missed :angry2: that absolutely infuriates me gggggrrrrr.

Seems like a ludcrous idea as, apart from that you are not allowed to touch the ball with your hands, it is the most important rule in the game. If you got rid of it 100 years of tactics would be rendered irrelevent. If you were a centreback or a centre forward your world would be turned upside down.

As others said as well I am sure it would increase the rewards for those who play the long ball.

However I can see value in trialling it as it is hard to predict how the game would evolve (and i suppose it could go in a way that improves the sport), but it would have to be done over a number of years at a lower league level.

I usually am in favour of creative thinking but this strikes me as such a fundamental change to how the game is played it is a massive risk.

I like the suggestion of letting a free kick taker have the option of simply playing on without passing the ball. I think this would improve something about the game.

Same here, that's a great suggestion actually. Same for free-kicks and corners (not penalties obviously).

It might make the game more free-flowing instead of teams relying on set pieces. I know that could be detrimental to ourselves in the short term.

Same here, that's a great suggestion actually. Same for free-kicks and corners (not penalties obviously).

It might make the game more free-flowing instead of teams relying on set pieces. I know that could be detrimental to ourselves in the short term.

Um how would that work for corners? I don't comprehend.

Agree that for free kicks it could work to ignore the whistle, but it would create confusion for the defending side and damage the refs authority.

Um how would that work for corners? I don't comprehend.

Agree that for free kicks it could work to ignore the whistle, but it would create confusion for the defending side and damage the refs authority.

Maybe I misunderstood a bit.

I thought the idea was that players could decide to just run with the ball from a set piece instead of passing it. Probably not so important on corners because most teams would probably still decide to cross it anyway.

Why don't we move the goals in as well, like in ice hockey.

Both ice hockey and football should make the goals bigger. At the time the dimensions were made, the average person was much shorter and smaller.

I like the suggestion of letting a free kick taker have the option of simply playing on without passing the ball. I think this would improve something about the game.

They have introduced this rule in Hockey this season and it as proved very good at keeping the game flowing and easier to watch.

The simple rule is that the ball must be stopped before it can be taken to yourself and all players (not just opposition) must be at least 5 yards away. I think the second bit discourages players from taking it to quickly.

Even to consider it would be a massive move. They should test it at a lower level first, maybe Europa Cup.

yeah, but if it's someone like Ronaldo's one on one with a defender who brings him down, he'll then be within his rights to stop the ball and carry on attacking the same defender whilst still being one on one.....nowadays everything stops, everyone gets back in the box and the defending team gets the advantage

They did something very simular to this in Hockey recently. The game spots and the defenders have to x distance away but then the taker can dribble with the ball for up to 5 yards before they have to pass it. Its work fairly well. The defenders can go and tackle as soon as they touch the ball. It has caused some confusion, mainly regarding to when the defenders can go and tackle but it adds to the game.

So in footy maybe change the distance to 10 yards with a free kick given against if they are deemed to have gone past that without another player touching the ball. Although I can see this being a nightmare to enforce too. Agruments about was that 9/11 yards he ran with Andy Gray having the easy job of using his computer to tell. But then if we had a video ref as well. The video ref would monitor the situation using the point they took the free kick from as a base and the PC showing a 10 yeards circumference and if the players moves out of the zone with the ball and no other player touching it they could signal the ref. Could work, ive wondered for a while why they dont use this for moving walls back the correct distance in the past too.

As I contemplate the thoughts of Sepp Blatter on the offside debate, I am reminded of the remarks of Lord Palmerston, who once remarked of the The Schleswig-Holstein question, it is so complicated, only three men in Europe have ever understood it...and one of them went mad.

Why dont proper football fans and players have a vote?

To remove Sepp TWa**** from a position he is clearly incapable of performing!

The problem is, his number 2 and possible sucessor is just as clueless (and hates England even more!!)!

Archived