BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England

England still on course for World Cup glory under fab Fabio.

You sound ever so confident. Care for a wager Jim?

To make it easy for you to reckon up and not to take full advantage of your failing mental capacity I'll wager the equivalent of one weeks UK individual state pension that England don't win it. I'll post a cheque to the board admin to hold during the finals if they agree and if you'll do the same.

You OK with that?

In fact I'll extend that to the two numpty's who gave you a + point. Care to come forward guys?

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could understand the flack Capello's getting on here if we weren't winning games but we barely broke sweat in achieving qualification for the world cup and look a very hard team to beat.

I don't relate to many of the players like I did in years gone by but I'll get behind the team and IMO we have as good a chance as anyone outside of the Spanish at winning the WC in South Africa.

Yes Capello has his favourites and yes he's stubborn, but he's getting results end of. We'll at the very least get to the quarters under Fabio.

Edit: Theno I didn't + Jim's post but it's not unthinkable for England to go on and win it. The one problem is Spain. They've won 42 out of their last 45 games. A red hot favourite if ever there was one.

To make it easy for you to reckon up and not to take full advantage of your failing mental capacity I'll wager the equivalent of one weeks UK individual state pension that England don't win it. I'll post a cheque to the board admin to hold during the finals if they agree and if you'll do the same.

You OK with that?

In fact I'll extend that to the two numpty's who gave you a + point. Care to come forward guys?

That's a suckers bet Gordon.

You OK with that?

In fact I'll extend that to the two numpty's who gave you a + point as long as Gerrard and Lampard start every match. Care to come forward guys?

Does that help Ivan?

• 3 weeks later...

Um, it's you who made yourself look a fool with your original post.

As I said, overbearing and over-wrought.

Good performance by England. We have so many good players at present it reminds me of the late 1960s under Ramsey when England could put out three different teams and expect to beat anyone.

Roll on South Africa.

Lampard today was pisspoor! Even worse than I predicted, as indeed was Gerrard at OT. The pair of em are a busted flush and should not go to SA. You really need to lay down your prejudice against me and hang on my every word.

Lampard's always been overrated. Yes he's good at popping in and about the box and grabbing goals, but the rest of his game is mediocre.

Gerrard is ###### in that advanced midfielder role (he's not clever enough) - he's most effective when he's allowed to make late runs from deep and use his engine to boss the midfield.

• 2 months later...

Over-wrought, overexcited, overbearing and over the top.

Gordon needs to calm down methinks.

Good performance by England. We have so many good players at present it reminds me of the late 1960s under Ramsey when England could put out three different teams and expect to beat anyone.

Roll on South Africa.

Oh my stars!!! Sooooo glad I found this thread again.... :wstu::lol:

What I don't get is Walcott starting. He's done next to nothing over the last two years, whereas Young and Milner have both been consistently excellent and Beckham and SWP have been playing regularly for top clubs. Even Bentley would be a better option that Walcott. I find it unbelievable that he's starting.

I'll also guarantee you a high profile mistake in the World Cup if Green starts in goal. Why was James on the bench?

With Crouch's international record and considering the fact that Capello seems to like a big man up top, I'd be tempted to play him alongside Rooney.

I don't know what I'd do with the midfield, but I like the idea of having Carrick play deep with one of Lampard or Gerrard in front of him.

Good shout it seems TCJ_Jones

• 2 weeks later...

Over-wrought, overexcited, overbearing and over the top.

Gordon needs to calm down methinks.

Roll on South Africa.

You OK with that?

Did you ever take up the courage of your convictions and agree to that Jim? If so just let me know and I'll pop around for my winnings.

Whilst we're on the subject of I-told-you-so's Gordon I said when the Terry-Bridge issue broke that taking Terry was a mistake, that disharmony in a team would destroy it. Several people on here argued that we needed Terry at CB despite him having an awful season for Chelsea. That was a divided team if ever I saw one...

Whilst we're on the subject of I-told-you-so's Gordon I said when the Terry-Bridge issue broke that taking Terry was a mistake, that disharmony in a team would destroy it. Several people on here argued that we needed Terry at CB despite him having an awful season for Chelsea. That was a divided team if ever I saw one...

Cos of what you said I've just re-read this entire thread and 2/3rds of the posters on here would have made a better fist of managing England than Capello....... and no doubt would even have paid their own plane fare and hotel bill to be given the chance to do it! :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I wonder how we're going to shape up for this friendly next week, given that Capello is going to bring in young players? This Mirror article seems to give a few clues.

GK: Hart, Foster, Robinson

RB: Richards, G. Johnson, Dawson, Terry, Cahill, Lescott, A. Cole, Gibbs

MF: Walcott, Lennon, Milner, Gerrard, Lampard, Barry, Huddlestone, A. Johnson, Wilshere

ST: Rooney, Bent, Agbonlahor, Zamora, Defoe

Something like that maybe? With Jack Rodwell still too inexperienced, we're lacking new players in the middle of midfield really. I'd start with Milner there though.

It sounds from that article like Foster will be in the squad.

I can't see Green being called up. That should be the end of his international career now, we'll go with Hart and Foster then experienced back up with Robinson, Kirkland, even James if needed.

• Moderation Lead

I forgot about Ashley Young, I'd squeeze him in there somewhere.

Ferdinand is still crocked isn't he? I'd like to see how Cahill handles international duty, he seems the sort who will adapt well.

Going forward I'd expect (hope to god for) a squad from the below-

GK- Hart/Foster

DF-G.Johnson, Richards (if he sorts his head out), Cahill, Terry, Ferdinand, Gibbs, A Cole

MF-Lennon,Walcott,Milner, Huddlestone, Wilshere, A Young, A Johnson, J Cole

ST-Agbonlahor, Defoe, Rooney, (we are horribly short up front)

I don't think the situation is as dire as is being portrayed- but the prognosis isn't good either!

I'd be happy to see the back of Carrick, SWP, Lampard, Gerrard- how many chances have they had for England and repeatedly produced zero? I'd be happy to see Beckham and Owen back- how often time and again do they deliver for England!

England boss Fabio Capello has called up the uncapped trio of Jack Wilshere, Kieran Gibbs and Bobby Zamora for the friendly against Hungary on Wednesday.

Goalkeepers David James and Robert Green are replaced by Ben Foster and Paul Robinson.

Theo Walcott and Adam Johnson are both recalled having been included in the provisional 30-man squad before failing to make the cut for the World Cup.

Bolton's Gary Cahill and West Ham's Carlton Cole are also in the squad.

England squad to face Hungary:

Goalkeepers: Ben Foster (Birmingham), Joe Hart (Manchester City), Paul Robinson (Blackburn)

Defenders: Wes Brown (Manchester United), Gary Cahill (Bolton), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Michael Dawson (Tottenham Hotspur), Kieran Gibbs (Arsenal), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), John Terry (Chelsea)

Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Aston Villa), Ashley Young (Aston Villa), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)

Forwards: Darren Bent (Sunderland), Carlton Cole (West Ham United), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Bobby Zamora (Fulham)

Id try:

Hart

G.Johnson Dawson Cahill A.Cole

Milner Gerrard

A.Johnson Wilshere A.Young

Rooney

I feel really sorry for Peter Crouch. His England record is amazing, he got about 5 minutes at the World Cup despite the fact we found it virtually impossible to score goals and now he is dropped from the England squad.

It's a half hearted attempt at a new broom. The usual suspects will all be back in place shortly.

(Don't get me wrong, I like Crouch! More of a dig at the regulars)

I feel really sorry for Peter Crouch. His England record is amazing, he got about 5 minutes at the World Cup despite the fact we found it virtually impossible to score goals and now he is dropped from the England squad.

I don't understand this either, Defoe got dumped as well. I can only assume that he wants to see other players for this friendly and will change the squad round again for the next real match.

So it's not hit the press yet but it's obvious now that some time in May or June Fabio caught Joe Cole and Peter Crouch spit roasting Mrs Capello at her insistance with Scott Parker videoing proceedings!

The new squad has seen any worthwhile players capable of a step up to international level replaced by mediocrity. The old guard of underachievers namely Messrs Terry, Lampard and Gerrard are incredibly still set to start whilst I assume surrounding Wayne Rooney with that lot is an open attempt at revenge for screwing up in SA.

I forecast Capello's intentions a month ago on the World Cop Capello thread and this is validating my opinions perfectly.

http://www.brfcs.co.uk/mb/index.php/topic/23256-capellos-future/page__view__findpost__p__925991

After SA the manager should have looked in the eyes of the players and sought pride and determination and selected accordingly. Instead he's called up 2nd rate plodders to embarrass his employers. Even this lot with Bobby bloody Zamora included (the only striker alive who can make Jason Roberts' control look like he's wearing velcro boots) should manage to beat Hungary in a match which will no doubt live long in the memory for it's rank awfulness played out in a crescendo (nice eytie word please note) of boos but imagine the outcome if this lot were set against a top team?

I was speaking to a chap who holds a significant position within the FA who disagreed with me about Capello's future intentions but imo the whole situation around the international team at the moment has a seriously bad smell to it. The issue is rotten to the core. Thankfully Paul Robinson has had the good sense to steer well clear.

P.S. I expect Jimmk2 will be backing em heavily for the European Championship :rolleyes:.

Archived