BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England

• Backroom

Since then all we have heard is backbiting and rumouring on unrest, with the manager totally blanking the next generation of players as he needed to but his feet up and blaming the fact our players were tired (Forlan, who was the best player in the torno, played more games last season than any English player).

Didn't the majority of the German players play the same or more games than our own players, too? If so that excuse really needs to stop being used. Not that anybody really buys it anyway.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

Didn't the majority of the German players play the same or more games than our own players, too? If so that excuse really needs to stop being used. Not that anybody really buys it anyway.

Indeed it's a load of nonsense! Especially the talk of a winter break, can you imagine there being no football at Christmas??

The season is long enough as it is, if we had to have a winter break especially in seasons where there are major tournaments in the summer the players would be whingeing about fatigue.

It's bad enough now- 2 games in a week and managers get the hump!

• Moderation Lead

It was going to be after Christmas, like in Europe.

Don't let that bother you though

Fair enough, I was not aware of the proposed dates in fairness :angry2:

At any rate, the proposal is a silly idea, shame you couldn't have replied to the debate about a winter break rather than my inaccuracy about the proposed date for it ;)

I love it when people come back with such well thought out and debatable posts… sigh

Where did I say its Capello's fault for every failure? What im saying is Englands performance at the World Cup is indefencible and the fact he thinks we played quite is a smack in the mouth for every fan out there.

No MGM, you don't seem open to considering any other factors. So what's the point in me spending my time trying to debate it with you.

You are firmly in the Fab out camp. I think this post is the first time you've not called him Crapello and I'm the one lacking thought?

Sigh indeed.

I'm perfectly open to other reasons and factors to why things went so wrong, but a large chunk of the blame has to go on Capello. He has had 2 years of planning before the world cup, to get a squad together which could seriously challenge for the competition.

The players are largely to blame aswell, but the tactics were negative from the outset, this failure cannot be just brushed aside so easily.

Capello has openly said that he doesn't know how to change the mindset of the players.

Therefore he should hand his notice in because he's admitted he's clueless.

The FA should just sack him and give him the compo. As soon as a manager everyone wants comes in, Wembley will be packed out again, people will get behind England and they will make the money back through ticket sales and merchandise alone. If they don't sack him then crowds will tumble even more and will end up costing us even more money.

Bucky, I appreciate that Capello's reputation precedes him at CLUB LEVEL, but what has he achieved at INTERNATIONAL LEVEL to merit such overwhelming faith? When it came to the crunch, his team imploded spectacularly on the big stage. Too many question marks over his decisions and selection policy (or lack thereof) and dissent rampant within the camp. You stood by Ince when he was clearly out of his depth - Are you sure history isn't repeating itself for you?

As opposed to the brilliant international manager Harry Redknapp with his revolving door transfer policy?

International tournament experience:

Capello 1

Redknapp 0

Comparing Ince to Capello? Very funny

Why don't you answer the question instead of posting hysterics?

For who though? We don't really have much depth. The only one that I'm surprised isn't there is Agbonlahor, I thought he would have been a dead cert.

The other one who I think is close to breaking into the team is Jack Rodwell, but I'm not surprised he's omitted at this stage.

Here's the initial squad;

Full squad: Foster (Birmingham), Hart (Manchester City), Robinson (Blackburn); Brown (Manchester United), Cahill (Bolton), A Cole (Chelsea), Dawson (Tottenham), Gibbs (Arsenal), Jagielka (Everton), G Johnson (Liverpool), Terry (Chelsea); Barry (Manchester City), [/b][/b]Gerrard (Liverpool), A Johnson (Manchester City), Lampard (Chelsea), Milner (Aston Villa), Young (Aston Villa), Walcott (Arsenal), Wilshere (Arsenal); Bent (Sunderland), C Cole (West Ham), Rooney (Manchester United), Zamora (Fulham).

I would have also left out the two Chelsea stars. Terry because he undermined the captain and Lampard because he's failed to impress too many times. Barry squeaks in even if he is getting on a bit.

Who would I have in? Rodwell. Lansbury (Arsenal). Smalling (Man U).

There are inflated levels of expectation in every major nation except perhaps France. The press goes overboard in every country but the UK is different in the extent of competition between red tops. That said, in terms of fearless journalism, the UK has slipped down so the control freakery of the FA/UEFA PR machines is rather more successful in blocking stories in the UK than it used to be.

I didn't watch the Charity Shield game but I have read a report and

- was delighted to see that all the England players on show were getting booed by the crowd, and

- everything I saw about Ashley Cole told me he was deliberately trying to throw the game to engineer his exit to Real Madrid.

Here's the initial squad;

Full squad: Foster (Birmingham), Hart (Manchester City), Robinson (Blackburn); Brown (Manchester United), Cahill (Bolton), A Cole (Chelsea), Dawson (Tottenham), Gibbs (Arsenal), Jagielka (Everton), G Johnson (Liverpool), Terry (Chelsea); Barry (Manchester City), [/b][/b]Gerrard (Liverpool), A Johnson (Manchester City), Lampard (Chelsea), Milner (Aston Villa), Young (Aston Villa), Walcott (Arsenal), Wilshere (Arsenal); Bent (Sunderland), C Cole (West Ham), Rooney (Manchester United), Zamora (Fulham).

I would have also left out the two Chelsea stars. Terry because he undermined the captain and Lampard because he's failed to impress too many times. Barry squeaks in even if he is getting on a bit.

Who would I have in? Rodwell. Lansbury (Arsenal). Smalling (Man U).

To be honest it's not looking that promising. Only player in the squad who looks like he could make a serious difference - ie. become a truely world class player - is A Johnson. Wilshire will be a big player but he is too young for now. G Johnson, Young, Walcott etc are all okay but not going to pull up trees.

I am not that convinced about Milner - decent player but does not suggest to me that he will be much better than SWP or Young. Real paucity of talent if you compare us to any of the big guns in the game. I would be tempted to aim to retain A Cole, Gerrard, Joe Cole and Rooney for 2012 but otherwise start fresh. Radical but the team is looking tired and ageing. I usually favour a slow evolution of the squad but we are in a real tight spot.

We need the big Premiership teams to play the youngsters. Not sure it will happen, but we need some top players to emerge from nowhere..... A lot seems to depend on the Arsenal lads coming through as they seem to be the only side with considerable English talent. But then they have so much money available and lots of good foreign players the like of Wilshire, Walcott, Lansbury will struggle to see that much time on the pitch. All probably subs at best....

Most importantly England desperately need a first rate striker to emerge to partner Rooney (there is literally no one of any real quality coming through! Zamora.... sheesh) and someone to stamp their mark on a deep lying midfield position. Barry seems a pale comparison to himself eighteen months ago which is hugely disappointing. Lampard did well there in qualifying but inexplicably Capello played him further forward in the World Cup where he was average. If we fill out those positions and A Johnson is the real deal we can probably stay competitive for a while longer.

At least we do seem to have some good central defenders coming through, but all the full backs seem awkward apart from maybe Gibbs. England's two best positions over the years have been keeper and centre forward. Both are utterly tragic at the moment.

I have a nasty feeling that in 10 years time we will be looking back at the Eriksson era as a golden age. Which it was really contextually, but we are good at deluding ourselves.

Yes I am sure.

1. I never mentioned 'Arry Redknapp in the first place.

2. What does 'Arry's wheelings and dealings have to do with international management?

3. Redknapp's strength is keeping it simple and playing to his team's strengths - something that eluded Capello.

4. Cocking up the England team: Capello 1, Redknapp 0.

5. Comparing Ince to Capello? Not exactly. Comparing your stance to the pair of them? Yes.

I have a nasty feeling that in 10 years time we will be looking back at the Eriksson era as a golden age. Which it was really contextually, but we are good at deluding ourselves.

Agreed. There seems such a paucity of new talent that we will be underdogs in most future competitions. The next England manager needs to coach a team of enthusiastic journeymen how to stop the opposition playing to their strengths, and to dig in, take any chances that come their way and to simply grind out results.

And we've got that man! :tu:

Whatever he had at club level he left it behind, mental.

Constantly suprises me this common perception that a successful club manager will make a successful national manager. There really is a world of difference between the qualities, skills and people skills required as a club manager to those required as an international manager.

Capello doesn't even seem to be going through the motions of trying to do a thorough job now. Such as watching the youngsters in action in person.

Just seems to be trying to extract his remaining 12m from the FA with as little effort expended as possible.

Golden age is a little much but between 2001 and 2004 we were well up there with the best in the world.

2001 - won 5-1 in Munich, beat Spain 3-0, granted it was a friendly but how many times over the last few years have we won friendlies vs the big teams?

2002 - Arguably the second best team at the World Cup, came through a very difficult group, beat Argentina without them having even a sniff of goal, thrashed a pretty good Denmark side and then for the first half vs Brazil looked pretty comfortable at 1-0 up until stoppage time when things started to go wrong.

2003 - 2004 - Came through Euro qualifying group unbeaten and playing some decent football.

2004 - Played well at Euro 2004, put 4 past Croatia, 3 past the Swiss and would have beaten France if it wasn't for things falling apart at the end. Were unlucky to go out to Portugal on penalties who were both the host country and the best team in the tournament (Greece got lucky).

It was only after this that things fell apart for England and for Sven but even then we still got to the quarters in WC 2006 despite not playing well (and were a shoot out away from the semi finals) which was at least acceptable given what's just happened.

Ben Foster pulls out the England squad which leaves just 1 England keeper.

Will Fabio have to call up Rob Green? I think Rob Green should tell him to shove it personally. Obviously his mistake cost us a goal but since that happened Fabio has just left him to take the blame all by himself without any support whatsoever. I'm not the biggest fan of Green but he's been treated abysmally.

Frankie Fielding in the England squad :!:

Scott Loach, of Watford, also called up.

As much as I'm delighted to have a Rovers player represent their country, he is only a reserve player for England.

Capello is a complete joke of a manager in calling up players who clearly aren't ready to be representing their country. It's making a mockery of the England team. No wonder people prefer club to country these days. Gone are the days that the players who represent their country are the cream of the crop.

Archived