BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Might Have Been Sold?

Got this from Wiki they have the potential to be massive .

Nottingham is a city and unitary authority area in the East Midlands of England. It is located in the ceremonial county of Nottinghamshire, and is one of eight members of the English Core Cities Group. Whilst the City of Nottingham has a historically tightly drawn boundary which accounts for its relatively small population of 288,700, the wider Nottingham Urban Area has a population of 667,000 and is the seventh-largest urban area in the United Kingdom, ranking between those of Liverpool and Sheffield.[2] Eurostat's Larger Urban Zone listed the areas population at 825,600 as of 2004.

Take a look at Forest's gates through the years...for such a large area you might well be very surprised at what you find.Never been regarded as a 'big club' even during their European cup winning days.

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can we all forget about Forest and talk about us please . Who cares if they are bigger or smaller than us all we need to look at is if we are taken over will it be good for us. Ideally we would like another Jack which isn't going to happen. At this moment in time us fans are caught between the devil and the deep blue sea when it comes to takeover talk.

A 32k average in those days meant 40K crowds for big city club visits and sub 20k crowds for lesser clubs.

In terms of potential, there are 1.1m people in Nottingham and Nottinghamshire with just Forest and County within the League structure. It is a footballing area and there are no big city clubs within 30 miles of the county boundaries.

Lancashire (as currently drawn) has 1.4m people with Morecambe, Blackpool, PNE, Rovers and Accy (oops forgot the dingles) within the boundary and six Premier League clubs including the Mancs and Scousers within 30 miles of the county's edge. There is also much more of a rugby tradition (both codes).

So that certainly spells potential for Forest to my way of thinking. Go back 25 years and Newcastle attracting a 42k average playing in Div 2 would have been laughable and Rovers averaging comfortably over 20,000 every season for a whole decade beyond the imagination.

That list of average and biggest gates this season is interesting. By my reckoning there are representatives of six countries left in European competitions whose biggest club average gates are smaller than Rovers' average this season. Also goes to show how lop-sided the Spanish and Italian leagues are when you look at the gulf between the best supported average and the small league overall averages.

By comparison, Germany averaging 42,000 is awesome especially considering Hoffenheim are in the Bundesleague.

Beginning to think there could be two stories here.

One common theme, mind you.

Two stories with common theme, could mean one is true and one is false. (Or both false or both true) One of them just being a smoke screen to put people off looking.

11 o'clocker tonight?

That would be terrible.

We should look in Qatar. It would be better.

Unless we are talking about the Al Maktoum's or Al Nahyans, I wouldnt want any of the UAE-based money coming near us. Although you can be sure they would not be in it for the profits.

I doubt the Rothschilds have taken over four years to think of the Gulf States and waited until the economy over there was not too clever before "marketing" the Rovers in that region.

What might have happened is a bunch of newspapers have checked out a possible story and realised in all innocence that some coincidences linked Rovers into something that may or may not be happening but now know that in fact Rovers are not involved at all.

Can anybody explain to me, why Rotschilds are suddenly looking in Dubai? Are there genuine Rovers fans who are going to do what Jack did for us. Seems very strange to me this story. I wonder, if the Trustees are pushing Rotschilds to find a potential buyer quickly.

In 1995 we ticked all those boxes; and then some!.........where was the further investment?

There was plenty of investment Fife. Trouble is we paid over 30 million for the likes of Kevin Davies, Corrado Grabbi, Ashley Ward, Nathan Blake, Per Frandsen and Christian Dailly to name but a few of our disasters when we could have had Zidane and Dugarry for 9 million.

I was reminded just yesterday of this rather loose quote Rupert Lowe the Soton chairman ..... "There are two phone calls that one really looks forward to, one is from the National Lottery and the other is from Blackburn Rovers enquiring about one of your players."

Seventies:

Albeit they had less to cheer, I really don't get where the massive potential is.

Simply the size of the City and it's hinterland compared to our town.

I always thought that Clough was lauded for his achievements because forest were a small provincial team.

They might have massive potential, but that doesn't really mean anaything until it's fulfilled.

I think the popular term constantly used by the goons in the media is 'unfashionable club'. :rolleyes:

Great business plan probably instigated by the decline of Portsmouth and WHam.

Stage 1. Sell the best players for 40 million (we've already done that).

Stage 2. Sell the club for 40 million to some dodgy arabs, trouser the money and watch over it's demise for half a dozen years from afar.

Stage 3. Buy it back off the receiver for peanuts cos it's certain sure that nobody else would be bidding and start all over again.

Jack would have been proud of such a scheme, the Trust is in good hands. :rover:

Like those calling for Sam's head (quiet now aren't we),

Do you know I'd noticed that. Calm before the storm I think John.

Despite a very healthy look to the table we still have lots of bad results in front of us this season and I can still sense the sharpening of claws by the embittered ones who to date are having to survive on large dollops of humble pie. :rover:

The Arab approach has been made over the past few weeks.

Rothschilds are pushing this particular potential investor - and seem to be concentrating on him just now.

Incidentally, they have also been trying to sell another club to this chap and his pals.

At the moment he seems reluctant to commit. Without wanting to be stereotypical, that is normal for some of these Middle East types.

The strongest thing I get from the whole story is that Rothschilds - on behalf of the club - are frantic to sell.

Interested to hear there may have been another recent interested party. I presumre they did not measure up, which is why the Arab line is being pursued.

My personal feeling is that this will drag on for a bit and fizzle out. Some people talk a big game but then go cold.

I know what the price is [which is relatively small] and I know who the Arab gent is too. But until he gets serious I won't go into his details. My fear is he will go somewhere else...a place where he can make a few bob which is his main motivation.

You would have to be a fan to take on Rovers. It's steady and stable but there is no real money to be made.

So it goes.

Archived