BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nfl 2010

Probably about time for this now. Free Agency is now well underway, with some notable players released over the last few days - Jack Delhomme (thoughts E_R?), Antwaan Randle El, Antrel Rolle, Brian Westbrook and others. Bills have said they wont renew TO, and there's speculation of the futures of Brandon Marshall, Julius Peppers and Anquin Boldin, amongst others. Its about to get interesting. Then we get on the road to the draft (Tim Tebow FTW!)

What do you all make of it so far? Any FA wishes for your teams?

By the way, anyone with any questions on Free Agency (in true NFL style its not the easiest system to understand) then have a look here -

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d816bc9ae&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matt - NY journalist Adam Schein thinks it's between Arizona and the Giants for Rolle.

This Free Agency period has been great to follow on Twitter - probably the only time I've found that website personally useful - so here are the journalists I find worth listening to: Adam Caplan, Adam Schein, Alex Marvez, Adam Schefter, Rotoworld.

Here are some notable moves today:

Chargers traded CB Antonio Cromartie to the Jets in return for a 2011 second- or third-round pick.

Arizona traded WR Anquan Boldin and a 2010 fifth-round pick to Baltimore for Ravens 2010 third- and fourth-round picks.

Patriots DT Vince Wilfork signed a new five-year, $40 million deal ($33m guaranteed).

Broncos sign former Ravens NT Justin Bannan.

Free-agent CB Dunta Robinson signs for the Falcons.

Josh Cribbs signed a new three-year $18m contract with the Browns.

Chicago Bears sign Vikings RB Chester Taylor.

Chicago Bears sign TE Brandon Manumaleun.

Chicago Bears also sign Carolina DE Julius Peppers to a $40m 3-year contract.

Detroit signed DE Kyle Vanden Bosch - after their head coach showed up at his house at midnight.

Detroit signed WR Nate Burleson from Seattle.

Loving the off-season so far, the free agency period has been very exciting today. Expecting moves in the next few days for Brandon Marshall and Greg Olsen. Neil - have any Broncos fans discussed the Darrent Williams case in relation to Marshall wanting out of Denver?

Hoping that the Saints match any offer made to Darren Sharper, barring a huge contract from someone like the Bears. He took a lot of glory but wasn't as important as our cornerbacks in pass defece, but still has a year left in the tank and is a record-setting free safety.

Can't wait for the draft. I got involved in a 32-man mock draft on a Saints website - I've got to pick for the awful Redskins. Looking forward to them taking my advice and picking Russell Okung with the #4 pick.

It'll be interesting to see if the Rams pass up on the insanely good Ndamukong Suh (clips) with the first pick, going for a QB like Bradford or Clausen instead. Suh is everyone's expected #1 pick.

Oh, and Tebow is rubbish, Neil, and you'll find that out next season.

p.p.s. Just heard that Ben Roethisberger has been accused of sexual assault. Again.

I'm not sure you can call Tim Tebow rubbish...

Fantastic effort from the Giants to address the alarming problems in the secondary. Rolle is not quite Reed/Polamalu-good but he's still very handy.

It's very interesting to see the Jets moving for Cromartie. With Tom Brady, Wes Welker and Randy Moss being opponents twice a season, the Jets have aggressively pursued the need to counter that threat. They just became contenders I feel.

Indeed the Giants have signed Antrel Rolle - to a 5 year deal for $37 million, making him the highest paid safety in NFL history.

The price is a little high but it is something the Giants had to do. The secondary was so bad last year without Phillips that overpaying for a very good Safety isn't an issue.

A little disappointed that Dansby ended up at the Dolphins but happy to pick up Weatherspoon or McClain in the Draft at MLB.

The Cardinals have been ripped apart this offseason, Warner, Dansby, Rolle, Boldin. They are going to take some serious rebuilding.

I'm not sure you can call Tim Tebow rubbish...

Fantastic effort from the Giants to address the alarming problems in the secondary. Rolle is not quite Reed/Polamalu-good but he's still very handy.

It's very interesting to see the Jets moving for Cromartie. With Tom Brady, Wes Welker and Randy Moss being opponents twice a season, the Jets have aggressively pursued the need to counter that threat. They just became contenders I feel.

There are legitimate questions about Tebow´s pro credentials, so he has a lot to prove. It´ll be interesting to see how he handles it though.

Oh and Cromartie is not the player he was in 2007.

Personally very happy that the Eagles resigned Leonard Weaver even though he is now the best payed FB in the league. Worth the price I think. Shame about Brian Westbrook, but I think they made the right choice, it was time to part ways. He´s not been the same player over the last couple of years, a lot of injuries and the concussions didn´t help his stock...

Offseason will be very interesting this year - Eagles need depth at RB, O-line, DE, linebacker and DBs.

We´re good at QB though :P

I can and will continue to call Tebow rubbish. He can have all the NCAA records he wants but he'll never make it as a starting QB in the NFL.

Modes - hope the Giants pass on Weatherspoon as he's most people's top pick for the Saints.

Loving the off-season so far, the free agency period has been very exciting today. Expecting moves in the next few days for Brandon Marshall and Greg Olsen. Neil - have any Broncos fans discussed the Darrent Williams case in relation to Marshall wanting out of Denver?

bmarsh has just been to seattle with a view of the 6th pick trade, bengals and jets want him too. The murder of his mate is the resoning for him wanting out..allegedly...saying the gangs are after him.

Kampman has gone to the Jags, not a real loss as he didn't really fit into our 3-4 scheme and is far better in a 4-3.

Been reading some of the predictions on the net about where Tebow might end up, some thinking the Packers may be an option after Mike McCarthy said he would love to coach Tebow. I hope its just talk as i don't think he will make it in the NFL, not with his throwing motion. I know he is reportedly working on it, but you can only improve some things so much and it needs a hell of an improvement. Plus isn't there talk of him not playing long and doing some Christian work overseas?

Modes - hope the Giants pass on Weatherspoon as he's most people's top pick for the Saints.

I would be suprised if he falls that far. The more I read and see of him the more I like the guy.

All the professional mocks point to the Giants taking a LB in the first round and then maybe looking to trade up for a DT, or visa versa. Normal fan mocks point towards Giants going with DT on first pick. Personally I think if we don't get Kirk Morrison as a RFA (3rd round tender) then I can't see a way that we won't take a MLB. I don't see Spikes making a big enough impact in the first year, whereas Weatherspoon could have, same with McClain although he is a 3-4. Difficult one to call as I haven't seen enough of them and have to rely on fans who claim to have.

Weatherspoon would be a great pick for the Saints at 32! Would only take a few seconds to make that decision.

On Tebow, the guy has a great attitude and will work on his action until it is good enough. He obviously has a fair bit of ability to hit the highs he did at college. Just depends on how long it takes him to get it right.

I think the Giants will take someone like Brandon Graham or Dan Williams in the first round. There are a few linebackers dropping into the second round that are good enough; Eric Norwood will be one.

I watched a lot of college football last year and still haven't seen most draft prospects, there are just too many teams to watch. But there are good highlights videos for most players online - see here for a list. Also, this website is making notes on one player every day for 100 days before the draft.

I think the Giants will take someone like Brandon Graham or Dan Williams in the first round. There are a few linebackers dropping into the second round that are good enough; Eric Norwood will be one.

Also, this website is making notes on one player every day for 100 days before the draft.

Dan Williams is gaining momentum in the mocks. That then leaves us picking up Brandon Spikes in the 2nd as our lead MLB. Great experience for the kid but increases the potential of his career going down the pan. Not heard of Norwood, heard that Sean Lee's stock is pushing him into 2nd round contention.

How easy is it for college OLB to be turned into ILB?

If we go with Williams then I would think Osi will have been traded and we'll have a few more picks to play around with.

Looks a good little website. Plenty around all with different opinions on players.

Sergio Kindle out of UT appears to be the higher rated of the LB corps. I've seen a couple of mock drafts with the Giants taking him. I haven't seen Kindle or Weatherspoon play so I can't judge which one I would want more. That being said, I was hugely impressed with Goff when he played in 2009.

I don't really care who they get as long as it's an improvement on last year's disastrous lot. For all the talk of the fearsome New York defence, it was that part of the team, not the likes of Manning (who still has his sniggering detractors) and company, that did for the Giants' season.

How easy is it for college OLB to be turned into ILB?

Annoying answer, I know, but it really depends on the individual and their physical and mental abilities.

In standard 4-3 formations like the Giants have, the three linebacker positions each have their own characteristics and physical needs because they have different gaps to cover. Strongside linebackers are usually taller, heavier and marginally slower since they have to cover the tight end or half back. Weakside linebackers either rush the passer or cover slot receivers, they rarely stuff the running back. So they are lighter, quicker and probably shorter. The middle linebacker is sort of a physical hybrid, but can't be slow as they often end up playing deep zone cover.

So moving to MLB (or ILB in a 3-4) requires a combination of speed, size and an ability to read the game. MLB's are usually the defensive captain and have to read the offense and make audibles. Spikes is slow for a MLB but has great strength and size. Kindle has been an OLB and DE so far, but the Giants need to improve their entire front seven, so taking him might be a good idea.

I thought for a while the Giants might try to get Karlos Dansby, but it's too late now.

Kind of the answer I expected, so if we take Weatherspoon or Kindle then we would still need to find a young MLB to bring through and hope that Goff steps up this year.

It was going to be Rolle or Dansby, maybe because of the money but mainly because the Dolphins wanted both and given the time both would have gone there. Safety was just awful without Phillips and if we could get Rolle and Phillips playing together that solves a lot of problems and allows us to concentrate on building up the front 7, which we have tried and failed to do in past years.

McClain has revealed he has Crohn's disease, which may be an issue or may not depends on the individual. Could see him drop to us and he would be ideal, more in hope than expectation. If not then Kindle seems ideal if he could cover either position this year and then be employed as the coaches see best next season, but if Osi stays then the DE need decreases.

Looking forward to the Draft, as I am off on Fridays I am going to try and stay up and watch the First and Second days. See if I can get a better understanding of everything. I am definitely getting better but then someone throws random acronyms at me like SAM and some others.

Saints seem to be sitting pretty. Still got the offensive options, just lost a few at the back.

SAM is strongside linebacker, WILL is weakside, MIKE is middle. It comes from the audibles teams use on the field. Being unable to work for an entire season means I've learned far more than I used to about the NFL.

Saints need big improvements at DE and DT as they were rubbish against the run last year, and now Fujita has left we need another OLB. Maybe even another safety if Sharper doesn't return.

Schedule is a bit harder but I'm hoping for another playoff spot since our offense can be unstoppable.

Ah that's good to know.

Many mocks now showing McClain dropping to us at 15, with the needs being filled up the draft board.

I still can't see Weatherspoon falling all the way to 32 for you Sleepyjack. High potential.

Very happy to see the Jets owner blowing his top after the Giants won the home coin toss, although I hope it doesn't cost NYC the super bowl in 2014.

Could well do, I think I prefer ESPN, but have leagues on both and it's pretty much the same everywhere.

Are we going to try and do some sort of a live draft this year? Or stick with the computer selections?

Archived