BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] This Website (And Others Like It) Are Under Serious Threat From A New Bill Being Rushed Through Parliament

It's not yet decided how the law is to be implemented, but at the very least your ISP has to inform you three times before the impending "technical measures" (probably disconnection) are brought against you and there not supposed to start doing that for at least 12 months. We're building a site with the answers to this kind of thing at http://www.digitaleconomyact.info and that will contain fuller answers, including which ISPs are planning to be helping the copyright holders and which aren't.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not yet decided how the law is to be implemented, but at the very least your ISP has to inform you three times before the impending "technical measures" (probably disconnection) are brought against you and there not supposed to start doing that for at least 12 months. We're building a site with the answers to this kind of thing at http://www.digitaleconomyact.info and that will contain fuller answers, including which ISPs are planning to be helping the copyright holders and which aren't.

Thanks. Much appreciated.

As worrying is the "bill" which is likely to passed if the conservatives get in.

They receive a lot of support from Murdoch who wants to limit what sites like the BBC can publish. Why? He believes it is an unfair advantage that they can publish such a wide array of free information at their disposal. He wants a much reduced offering from the likes of the BBC website so we have to pay to get info off his variuos media offerings.

Greedy whores the lot of them.

The conservatives will not have a choice in passing such a bill as they need his ££££££'s.

You're probably the only person who can take something invented by Labour and twist it to make it look like a Torry initiative.

But anyway, just buy a server offshore...problem solved

Will the ISPs share information? So if I racked up 2 warnings with my current ISP then switched would I get a clean slate again?

You're probably the only person who can take something invented by Labour and twist it to make it look like a Torry initiative.

But anyway, just buy a server offshore...problem solved

Most of the contentious bits weren't created by industry lobbiests (the text is taken word for leaked from a leaked BPI strategy document that also outlined why the bill needed to be pushed through without much scrutiny) rather than either party. Both Lab and Con were whiped into voting in favour even though they could see it was flawed.

As for an offshore sever. I did wonder if offering VPN tunnels via this server was a viable way of funding the site ;)

Will the ISPs share information? So if I racked up 2 warnings with my current ISP then switched would I get a clean slate again?

As the law stands, yes. But I wouldn't rule out some voluntary code between the ISPs in the future

Archived