BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Portsmouth Vs Blackburn Rovers

NOTICE- I have decided to ignore the whole 'Pompey going bust' theme as it has been done to death and has its own thread over here – http://www.brfcs.co.uk/mb/index.php/topic/22717-time-up-pompey/.

This preview is much harder to write than the last one I did back in November. Rovers could turn up and show them how it's done or they could get involved in a game of attrition against a team with nothing to lose. We won back in November 3-1. Former Pompey player Roberts got two and Nelsen was also on the scoresheet.

_46688039_wolves_466.jpg

Rovers see themselves borderline safe for the season and playing for prize money. Pompey look like Championship fodder and deservedly so. One thing that we have to our advantage is that they have their FA Cup semi final a week later and may be thinking about that instead. They definitely look weak in defence and David James conceded some howlers against Chelsea. We should aim to keep the Fratton bells quiet by getting the ball in the penalty area. We really need Dunn, Gamst, Diouf, Andrews and N'zonzi to control the midfield. O'Hara should play for them as he cannot play against Spurs in the FA Cup. I'd say he has probably been their best player this season and should get some offers in the summer if Spurs cash in. Piquionne has shown a lot of commitment upfront too.

article-1260568-08DB3B50000005DC-236_468x376.jpg

The 3rd of April will be a big day for many reasons and will be a proud one for me. Back in December mini-RobboRover won free tickets to see Portsmouth versus Burnley (if you haven't noticed I live near Portsmouth) and I took him to show what a football atmosphere is like. I have never pushed Rovers onto him as I feel that he'll be more receptive if I let him work it out for himself. He enjoyed his first match, but then asked me something which made me smile –

"Dad, I enjoyed that, but next time can we watch Blackburn instead?". :rover:

I should have expected that after watching the two poorest teams in the league this season. But in one sentence mini RobboRover summed up what I believe football should be about. It cannot be defined by the Premier League, FIFA, Uefa, billionaires or even Andy Gray! It is the hopes and emotions of people like us, watching the team that they support. Football is subjective, but I am proud to say that Rovers are a well-run club in the best league in the world.

If Rovers turn up and play like they should then we should get a comfortable win. Although, If Rovers start playing after half time then it may be much harder. I just hope that mini RobboRover gets to celebrate his first Rovers match with a win and the club will have a new fan. :brfcsmilie:

Prediction- Portsmouth 1-2 Rovers

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thinking of driving down to this game out of posterity to my Navy days and indeed, the last chance to ever visit Fratton Park for the last time becuase surely, they have to rid themselves of this dump to move forwards.

I have had some happy memories and bad ones from Fratton, more good than bad I may add.

The club as we know are on the ar$e, the semi final looms and for me, if we accept the paper articles of Pompy accepting the drop, then their focus will be on the cup match only.

I expect Rovers to win this, following on from fine away day win at the dingledome.

2-0 Rovers.

More injuries for Pompey yesterday. They have 10 fit first team men as it stands today. We won't get a better away opportunity than this all year, keep the momentum going lads, top half finish please!

Anyone going? I am considering a trip down from London.

More injuries for Pompey yesterday. They have 10 fit first team men as it stands today. We won't get a better away opportunity than this all year, keep the momentum going lads, top half finish please!

Not to mention one eye on their FA Cup semi-final. Perfect opportunity for another away win.

Anyone going? I am considering a trip down from London.

I'm considering it - very likely going.

There is a 9am train getting in at 11 (a bit early, I know) with a 6pm return from Victoria that is now running about 23 quid return, plus 20 for the match ticket.

Looking at the table and if my maths is correct we can relegate them if we win and other results go against them.

Well run club relegates poorly run club, that would be nice

Looking at the table and if my maths is correct we can relegate them if we win and other results go against them.

Well run club relegates poorly run club, that would be nice

I never coun t my chickens but that would be sweet given the way they steamrolled us financially over Diarra when Hughes was so desperate to sign him. Can anyone think of a tune and a rhyme for 'He who laughs last'?

1-2 Come on Rovers build on yesterdays result and 7 points out of birmingham, chelsea and scum :) What a good return I woul dof accepted 4 as long as we didn't lose to Scum hahaha..

Roberts will score and Pedderz - Piquonne for them maybe even take lead them but we will get it spot on and be victorius:

Brown

Chimbonda Samba Givet Ollson (Simply think Jones is due a rest & normally prefer ollson further forward)

Diouf Grella Pedderzon Hoilett (Once again feel Steven deserves a rest)

Roberts Kalinic.

I think emerton has been really poor since his op and thats a shame because just before was the best emerton we had seen (Except his debut)

Well Pedersen had a poor game against Burnley, plus he is odds on to leave, so we may as well drop him. We are also in a solid position so I would be tempted to give Hoilett some minutes to aid his development, and certainly start Olsson again. This makes it hard for Diouf to play because he is so much more effective on the left than the right. I imagine the team will look something like this:-

---------------Kalinic

---Olsson-----Dunn------Hoilett

----------Grella-----NZonzi

Givet----Jones------Samba----Salgado

----------------Brown

If Dunn is off the pace maybe play Kalinic up top alongside Roberts. Having bags of pace either side in Olsson and Hoilett is going to cause Portsmouth problems on the counter. And they pretty much have to attack from the outset.

----------------Kalinic

---Olsson-----Dunn------Hoilett

----------Grella-----NZonzi

Givet----Jones------Samba----Salgado

----------------Brown

That's not a bad line-up, but you can bet your bottom dollar Grella isn't anywhere near match-fit. I'd play Emerton there and wrap Grella up for the WC, where he'll hopefully find a suitor.

I'd also drop Brown for Bunn, but Sam won't.

I'm considering it - very likely going.

There is a 9am train getting in at 11 (a bit early, I know) with a 6pm return from Victoria that is now running about 23 quid return, plus 20 for the match ticket.

If you go with Southern Trains (go to their website) you can get a return for £11. £8 if you have a Network Railcard....

If you go with Southern Trains (go to their website) you can get a return for £11. £8 if you have a Network Railcard....

Should have told me before I booked it!! Have to see if the train line have a lowest price guarantee.

Row M, seat 17 for the match.

Think ill be heading down for the day. not sure about any decent pubs nearby. Fratton is bloody bland though.

The best places to drink before the game are either in the town centre where there are a few pubs and plenty of places to eat or even better at Gunwharf Quays which is an outdoor retail centre with a large amount of pubs, restaurants, bars, clubs overlooking the harbour. It's also 5 minutes away from the HMS Victory, HMS Warrior, Mary Rose museum (which is shut at the moment I think) at the Portsmouth Dockyard. Pretty cool place to visit if you've got a few hours to spare or staying for the weekend.

If you decide to eat/drink in the town centre then you can get a short train journey (2-3mins) from Portsmouth & Southsea Train Station to Fratton Station or if you wish to go to Gunwharf Quays then it's a 5 minute journey to Fratton from Portsmouth Harbour Train Station. You can walk there but it's easier and cheap just to go by train.

Personally I would recommend Gunwharf Quays pre-match or post-match because there are a lot of rough pubs around Portsmouth, especially with it being a naval town, so some locals certainly won't want any away fans drinking in their pub. Obviously if you've been to Fratton before and drank in a nice pub where they've accommodated away fans then it's probably good just to use that pub again.

Gunwharf Quays

Archived