BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Portsmouth Vs Blackburn Rovers

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best places to drink before the game are either in the town centre where there are a few pubs and plenty of places to eat or even better at Gunwharf Quays which is an outdoor retail centre with a large amount of pubs, restaurants, bars, clubs overlooking the harbour. It's also 5 minutes away from the HMS Victory, HMS Warrior, Mary Rose museum (which is shut at the moment I think) at the Portsmouth Dockyard. Pretty cool place to visit if you've got a few hours to spare or staying for the weekend.

If you decide to eat/drink in the town centre then you can get a short train journey (2-3mins) from Portsmouth & Southsea Train Station to Fratton Station or if you wish to go to Gunwharf Quays then it's a 5 minute journey to Fratton from Portsmouth Harbour Train Station. You can walk there but it's easier and cheap just to go by train.

Personally I would recommend Gunwharf Quays pre-match or post-match because there are a lot of rough pubs around Portsmouth, especially with it being a naval town, so some locals certainly won't want any away fans drinking in their pub. Obviously if you've been to Fratton before and drank in a nice pub where they've accommodated away fans then it's probably good just to use that pub again.

Gunwharf Quays

The only thing i'd add to that is that Portsmouth is a pretty small place and you might find it cheaper and easier to use a taxi (as opposed to the train). It does get clogged up on Saturday afternoons in between 2-6pm though. Aqua Cars taxis are usually pretty cheap. Pompey fans will definitely use the train into Fratton both from nearby Gosport (via Ferry from the Hard) and through Fareham, so be prepared :)

Gunwharf is nice for a drink and is the place to go for a 'trendy' night out. Guidhall Walk is near to Fratton and where the students tend to drink. Southsea is much quieter now than it used to be and might be a better option for a couple.

I'm not actually sure of an 'away pub'. Any ideas?

Well Pedersen had a poor game against Burnley, plus he is odds on to leave, so we may as well drop him. We are also in a solid position so I would be tempted to give Hoilett some minutes to aid his development, and certainly start Olsson again. This makes it hard for Diouf to play because he is so much more effective on the left than the right. I imagine the team will look something like this:-

---------------Kalinic

---Olsson-----Dunn------Hoilett

----------Grella-----NZonzi

Givet----Jones------Samba----Salgado

----------------Brown

I too like the look of that line up. The only changes I would make would be Emerton playing instead of Grella, maybe bringing Ryan Nelsen back in and possibly giving Nzonzi a rest. I wouldn't start him, but I would like to see what Basturk can do, that is if he is fit of course.

Buying my tickets now, have we decided on an away pub yet?

EDIT: All booked, on the 12:02 out of London Victoria and on the 18:01 back from Fratton if anyone else is around. I will most likely be the youngish bloke with a dark coat, grey hoodie and a Rovers top sticking out from underneath.

I'm not actually sure of an 'away pub'. Any ideas?

I once made the mistake of going for a pre-match drink in the Waterfront Quay pub in Gosport before getting the Ferry across to The Hard. As soon as I walked in, all the locals stopped drinking and turned around and just looked at me. The barman took one look at me in my Rovers shirt and told me to either turn around and walk straight back out the door or pick a window. :blink:

Please avoid :!: :lol:

Well Pedersen had a poor game against Burnley, plus he is odds on to leave, so we may as well drop him. We are also in a solid position so I would be tempted to give Hoilett some minutes to aid his development, and certainly start Olsson again. This makes it hard for Diouf to play because he is so much more effective on the left than the right. I imagine the team will look something like this:-

---------------Kalinic

---Olsson-----Dunn------Hoilett

----------Grella-----NZonzi

Givet----Jones------Samba----Salgado

----------------Brown

If Dunn is off the pace maybe play Kalinic up top alongside Roberts. Having bags of pace either side in Olsson and Hoilett is going to cause Portsmouth problems on the counter. And they pretty much have to attack from the outset.

Substitute Kalinic for Roberts, Hoilett for Duffy, Grella for Andrews and Dunn for Pedersen and I reckon you've just about cracked Sam's plan.

Dear Samuel,

Please can we try this, up front, at least for a full half:

Hoilett------Dunn------Olsson

-------Franco----------------

--------------Kalinic--------

Go on, for me. I promise never to ask again if you do and I'll happily agree to sending Franky back at the end of the season if it doesn't work.

It appears that Pompy hve major injury problems for Saturday with other issues such as a payment for Dindane if he plays.

Already out are Hreidersson and Dindane, James, Dioup and Smith are all major doubts, Kanu is a doubt, Belhadj is a doubt whilst Owesya (sp) could be withdrawn back to his parent club.

Maybe our south coast based fans could give us an insight from the local press as to the current numbers of players available to them.

I was just reading a Portsmouth newspaper and it said "The Blues boss is without the equivalent of an entire football team ahead of this weekend's visit of Blackburn" as they have 11 players on the treatment table.

Also they have the FA Cup Semi Final the weekend after our match so I'm pretty sure they will have one eye on that and trying not to get injured. I expect we're the worst team to face when a team has so many injuries or players returning from the treatment table. Ideally we will go in hard and aggressive and hopefully overpower them.

A real "banana skin" game this one. We are in good form and everyone expects us to win. Portsmouth, however, despite all their problems on an off the field, are not lying down (apart from last weekend) and actually play quite attractive football. I'm not taking this one for granted.

really looking forward to this now and I think we should go with 2 up front this saturday and really get at them. even try a new system and see how we get on now the pressures off.

if we can get on to 44 points with 5 games remaining, that would be superb.

I once made the mistake of going for a pre-match drink in the Waterfront Quay pub in Gosport before getting the Ferry across to The Hard. As soon as I walked in, all the locals stopped drinking and turned around and just looked at me. The barman took one look at me in my Rovers shirt and told me to either turn around and walk straight back out the door or pick a window. :blink:

Please avoid :!: :lol:

That place is rough at the best of times! Let alone whilst wearing a Rovers shirt!

My Pompey supporting mates are not really bothered about this match. They are just hoping to beat 'Arry in the Semi Final.

I'll be travelling over the ferry from Gosport with Modes. I'll pack some paracetemol though... Hearing "Play Up Pompey" on repeat does get annoying!

A real "banana skin" game this one. We are in good form and everyone expects us to win. Portsmouth, however, despite all their problems on an off the field, are not lying down (apart from last weekend) and actually play quite attractive football. I'm not taking this one for granted.

Are you sure?

They've lost 2-0 to Spurs. 5-0 to Chelsea. 1-4 to Liverpool. 1-2 to Birmingham. 1-2 to Stoke. 5-0 to United. Fulham 1-0 and Man City 2-0.

Beat Hull 3-2 and Burnley 2-1.

Some of those are tough games, but they've hardly been on a good streak!

We'll win. :brfcsmilie:

Yes, I think so. That's the one we went to last year and it was fine!

Or it could be the Good Companion - This is appx 5-10 mins down the road from the away end - has a large car park and serves food - or used to - not sure if still any good though or still open, as a few years since last down there

Do you live in Gosport Robbo? My lass lives next to Gosport Borough football ground. The way Portsmouth are going, they could be playing there in a few years time :lol:

Yeah I do Tim. My favourite is that Southampton have won silverware this season! I live at Lee-On-The-Solent.

Are you getting the train down then?

Archived